Lost a key in Retrax Tonneau Cover

road turtle

Set key on top of a mostly open cover, realized I needed to open it a bit more, an a whole bunch of bad words came out of my mouth as I watched it slide down the opening :(

Any suggestions on the easiest way to get my key back?  Looking at the installation manual, I'm thinking loosen the rails, slide it rearward and take off the front/top cover.

Open to any and all suggestions except don't put the key on top of the cover while opening it :)  I got that one covered!

Sorry for the late update!

Magnet was a most excellent idea, and my first attempt at finding the key, except it didn't work.

I emailed the mfg, and their suggestion was loosen all the bolts and slide the whole mechanism rearward and  remove the front cover piece.  BUT, after loosening all the bolts, I had to move a LOT of stuff in front of the hitch.  After all the bolts were loose, and I had to move crap out of the way, what should I see, but my key!  It never went into the canister!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1