Next gen Lincoln Nautilus for China and North America leaked

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

As for your other question, I assume instead of CRT, you mean CVT.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I think you meant CVT.  

Thanks so much to both of you. And yes, I meant continuously variable transmission, not cathode ray tube or critical race theory! ;)

14 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

For those who know Ford products better than I do, I have a few questions about the hybrid drive train upgrade option on the 2024 Nautilus. It is a 4-cylinder internal combustion engine paired with an electric motor that delivers 100 hp. The vehicle overall is set at 305. I heard one commentator say the vehicle's hp is "limited" to 305. The base IC engine delivers 250 hp. So, does that mean that the ICE in the hybrid is a different engine, or is the combined hp restrained due to some other limitation, such as with the CRT. I've never owned a hybrid or a vehicle with a CRT (which some folks dislike). Is there something about a hybrid that calls for a CRT? Has this combination been used in other FMC vehicles, and has it performed well?

I find, counter to my initial expectations, that I am actually considering the '24. Yeah, it is not built in North America. I have owned foreign-built vehicles in the past and that hasn't bothered me, but China's a hard pill to swallow. Still, it would be buying a vehicle from an American company even if assembled overseas, instead of, say, a Range Rover (something else I'm considering), an Indian company that builds its vehicles in Europe.

There are just so many good things about the new 2024. It looks great inside and out (though of course both are subjective). The interior is roomier, as are the seats. The Blue Cruise and new Google infotainment/navigation software seems like a real step forward. The screen set-up looks good -- I think the Nautilus still won't have a head-up display option, but with the vehicle information set up there on screens immediately below the windscreen it seems that it would be superfluous. Many don't like the lower steering wheel, but I much prefer to have my steering wheel as low as possible, which means that the upper part of it typically obscures important driver information. I like the fact that the new Nautilus will be set up for all of that information to be viewed entirely above the wheel. I'd like more physical buttons, but those seem to be going the way of the Dodo in all cars these days. But I worry I would regret giving up the extra power and performance of the wonderful 2.7 twin scroll V6 paired with a traditional automatic transmission that I have in my 2019. So this is a long-winded way of saying that I'd welcome any thoughts folks here might have on how this particular hybrid engine/motor/transmission pairing works in real-day driving. I don't drive with a lead foot but I do like to be able to get off to a quick start when needed and to have that extra power for passing. Pretty certain I wouldn't be satisfied with the base 4-cylinder 250 hp engine. Thanks!

EDIT: Just to be clear, the hybrid in the 2024 Nautilus is a traditional hybrid system, not a plug-in. Since I have no at-home charging ability, the fact that it is a traditional hybrid is the only reason I'm considering it -- although as stated above I have no personal experience driving any sort of vehicle other than full-on ICE.

I have a 2013 C-Max CVT 110,000 miles. My history is from the '60s 396 super sport Chevelle in the '80s mustang GT 5.0 Thunderbird turbo coupe all straight drives always ran hard in the '90s Taurus SHO. We have no issues with the CVT just smooth driving as one of the response if you do hit the gas it doesn't have to change the lower gear to take advantage of the torque we just love ours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellanca said:

My question is…when are we going to see the first all electric Lincoln? I thought they said 3 by 2025 and we are almost to the halfway point of 2023. 

Thank you Bellanca, that is a good question and a very relevant one. Lincoln was supposed to put its first BEV into production back in 2022 for its 100th anniversary, but that didn't happen. Even more than the Ford brand, Lincoln needs to make the transition to an all-electric product lineup as soon as possible. Currently, Lincoln's website has a somewhat vague statement along with a pictures of its Star concept vehicle. Lincoln Concept and Future Vehicles

Lincoln is committed to delivering three new fully electric vehicles by 2025, with another to follow in 2026. It’s just one step toward our vision for a connected and electrified future.

14 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Finally, longevity, this is the biggest sticking point for most people when it comes to CVTs. Nissan and Subaru to a lesser extent have had a ton of issues with their CVTS, because the pulleys and belts they use becoming stretched over time, drastically affecting the transmission and driving experience. Ford doesn't use belt and pulleys in their CVTs. They use very reliable metal gears, these transmissions are extremely reliable, probably the most reliable out of all Ford products currently on sale. 

I had a 2010 Fusion Hybrid that had 215K on when I sold it. The E-CVTs aren't bad vs CVTs in ICE products...I had a Dodge Caliber with one and it was fucking awful. The VW Jetta I had after that was much better (both long term rentals when my Mustang was getting fixed after an accident)

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Thank you Bellanca, that is a good question and a very relevant one. Lincoln was supposed to put its first BEV into production back in 2022 for its 100th anniversary, but that didn't happen. Even more than the Ford brand, Lincoln needs to make the transition to an all-electric product lineup as soon as possible. Currently, Lincoln's website has a somewhat vague statement along with a pictures of its Star concept vehicle. Lincoln Concept and Future Vehicles

Was that the cancel Rivian based Lincoln model?

Even though it won't be produced, it would be nice to see what they were thinking/developing. Talks around it seem like it was to be a halo model.

Maybe we'll see traces of it in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Seems to me that we'll be seeing MY25s arriving sometime next year. The retooling of the former Edge/Nautilus assembly plant in Canada starts early 2024. Not sure how many months the retooling will take, but once it is done the factory will start production of the new BEV Explorers and Aviators. Then we should be seeing a lot more Ford and Lincoln BEVs arriving as Louisville is completed and goes into production.

And as a Lincoln customer, I too am disappointed that the Rivian-based big electric Lincoln SUV never happened. But if Lincoln were all electric right now I would no longer be able to remain a Lincoln customer as where I currently live I lack the ability to do overnight charging. As mentioned here earlier I'm now looking at getting the new hybrid Nautilus (because it is a traditional hybrid, not a plug-in). I'm expecting that will be my last ICE-based vehicle, as by 2028 or 2029 my overnight charging problem will have been resolved. It's coming. No need to force it faster than is feasible for a large portion of the population.

Edited by Gurgeh

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The E-CVTs aren't bad vs CVTs in ICE products

15 hours ago, akirby said:

I think you meant CVT.  It’s actually an E-CVT which all hybrids use that allows the batteries to be recharged when slowing down.  

15 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Ford doesn't use belt and pulleys in their CVTs. They use very reliable metal gears, these transmissions are extremely reliable, probably the most reliable out of all Ford products currently on sale. 

To avoid confusion with pulley based CVT, automotive engineers and technicians sometimes use the term "input power split transmission" (or just "power split") to describe the planetary gear-based type used in 2024 Lincoln Nautilus, as well as the current generation Corsair and Escape hybrids. This transmission is an evolution of the Aisin design used in 1st gen Escape hybrid and has been very reliable.

Not all hybrid vehicles use eCVT aka power split transmissions. For example, among Ford products F-150 PowerBoost, Explorer Hybrid, and Aviator Grand Touring all use a traditional automatic transmission with 10 discrete forward gear ratios paired to an electric motor in parallel and 2 clutches (one between ICE engine and electric motor, the other between the electric motor and the drivetrain). This transmission type is also known as parallel hybrid with 2 clutches or P2. Unlike the power split transmissions, Ford's P2 hybrid transmission (and its 10-speed automatic more generally) has been relatively troublesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

Seems to me that we'll be seeing MY25s arriving sometime next year. The retooling of the former Edge/Nautilus assembly plant in Canada starts early 2024. Not sure how many months the retooling will take, but once it is done the factory will start production of the new BEV Explorers and Aviators. Then we should be seeing a lot more Ford and Lincoln BEVs arriving as Louisville is completed and goes into production.

And as a Lincoln customer, I too am disappointed that the Rivian-based big electric Lincoln SUV never happened. But if Lincoln were all electric right now I would no longer be able to remain a Lincoln customer as where I currently live I lack the ability to do overnight charging. As mentioned here earlier I'm now looking at getting the new hybrid Nautilus (because it is a traditional hybrid, not a plug-in). I'm expecting that will be my last ICE-based vehicle, as by 2028 or 2029 my overnight charging problem will have been resolved. It's coming. No need to force it faster than is feasible for a large portion of the population.

The retooling here is supposed to take 6 months. Last Nautilus 23 Nautilus Dec 15th. Last Edge March 8  2024 rumored.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:10 AM, T-dubz said:

If I’m reading that right, it looks like the 48” screen is standard. Digital scent is an odd option. Is that something Lincoln has offered before? Also 28 speakers is crazy lol

Doesn't Mercedes off a scent system? The Revel 28 speaker system has been around a few years on the Aviator.

On 4/17/2023 at 12:30 PM, silvrsvt said:

The steering wheel looks ovode instead of a circle. 

As soon as I saw that steering wheel, I instantly liked the car. That wheel is like what Chrysler used on the 60-63 Imperial. I've owned 6 of those over the past 50 years. I already liked the Nautilus and had a 22 on order. I didn't buy because the 10 ways seat was just too uncomfortable and no forward and back tilt for the headrests made it even worse.

On 4/17/2023 at 3:43 PM, ANTAUS said:

Not sure if I'm happy with the 310HP of the Hybrid.  Looks like a porker.

That's my only reservation so far. With the Aviator having 400HP, seems the Nautilus should be at least 350.I'm not too sure I'd trust a CVT.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 4:07 PM, Willwll313wll said:

I really like the Reserve interior choices. So much so that I dont think I'd opt for a black label. That blue is really nice! Sad you can't get it with the Jet Pack. The black is killer too.

My choice would be the black that's offered with the Jet package. That looks amazing to me.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MKX1960 said:

That's my only reservation so far. With the Aviator having 400HP, seems the Nautilus should be at least 350.I'm not too sure I'd trust a CVT.

Well it's a good thing we established e-cvts are nothing like normal cvts. Nothing to worry about with e-cvts from a durability standpoint. I love our maverick, but I wouldn't touch a Nissan CVT with a ten foot pole. Those transmissions seem destined to fail just out of warranty. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 11:11 AM, rmc523 said:

Whoops, that should've said "jet black".

And I find that a mistake - I may like the black exterior accents but not want an all black interior.  They correct this on the Black Label model, where you can get either theme with the Jet package.

I understand perhaps not allowing a pairing with the tan interior option, but the other two options are "black + ______ (blue or gray)", which would go with the black theme just fine.

I've been reading that Ford is going to be drastically trimming it's options. They say it's too costly and takes too long to build so many choices. I'm taking that to be something like they did with the Fusion. You'll be able to get package 1, 2 or 3 and few stand alone options.

Well, I decided to pull the trigger. Heading into my Lincoln dealer (East West Lincoln) on Friday to walk them through the build and plunk down my $1,500 deposit. Black Label with the redwood interior. I'm hoping for at least a little wiggle on price and for their agreement to swap out the oversized wheels/low-profile tires for 19" or 20" wheels. (They did this for me before.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Well, I decided to pull the trigger. Heading into my Lincoln dealer (East West Lincoln) on Friday to walk them through the build and plunk down my $1,500 deposit. Black Label with the redwood interior. I'm hoping for at least a little wiggle on price and for their agreement to swap out the oversized wheels/low-profile tires for 19" or 20" wheels. (They did this for me before.)

Don't forget to take & post pics whenever it comes in!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

It's not Nautilus related, but it didn't warrant its own thread....

These patent drawings may hint at the new Navigator's design:

Patent Suggests Ford SUVs May Get Gullwing-Style Doors (fordauthority.com)

I saw that too, would be wild if they did actually add this to a future model. When the Rivian Lincoln was being rumored in 2020 one leak discussed here was it would “gift the driver with an unmistakable entrance”….hmm this fits that bill!

42 minutes ago, spudz64 said:

I saw that too, would be wild if they did actually add this to a future model. When the Rivian Lincoln was being rumored in 2020 one leak discussed here was it would “gift the driver with an unmistakable entrance”….hmm this fits that bill!

actually that’s only for the passenger side.

22 hours ago, spudz64 said:

I was meaning more the line drawing of the vehicle aside from the gullwing door may inadvertently show the new Navi design.  I'll be shocked if it actually gets those doors.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I was meaning more the line drawing of the vehicle aside from the gullwing door may inadvertently show the new Navi design.  I'll be shocked if it actually gets those doors.

I figured that’s what you meant. I hope you’re right because it looks like an attractive shape. (Especially the rear). Overall a bit more chiseled than the current gen.