Next gen Lincoln Nautilus for China and North America leaked

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I think just the opposite - remaining ICE vehicles will remain in high demand as ICE production ramps down and models are cancelled.....

Same thing happened back in the mid-90's when GM discontinued their full-size, body-on-frame vehicles (Chevy Caprice, Buick Roadmaster, etc.).  People who still wanted a conventional full-size vehicle moved to the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car.  Panther-platform sales (profitably) continued on until 2012.  

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

Same thing happened back in the mid-90's when GM discontinued their full-size, body-on-frame vehicles (Chevy Caprice, Buick Roadmaster, etc.).  People who still wanted a conventional full-size vehicle moved to the Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car.  Panther-platform sales (profitably) continued on until 2012.  

Also in the late 70s when they downsized cutlass, Grand Prix, etc.

22 hours ago, ehaase said:

unless Ford can close Chicago plant. 

Are there contract issues that prevent Ford from closing Chicago Assembly Plant sooner rather than later? Several members on this forum have described serious problems with the workforce at that facility. It should have been closed years ago.

The China domestic market Explorer is now assembled at a Changan Ford plant in Hangzhou. Same plant also assembles Lincoln Nautilus for that market.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mackinaw said:

By that time, many full sized car buyers had already moved to three row utilities and large SUVs.

Ford made sure they channel stuffed as many crown vics to law enforcement departments as they could

before then switching to Explorer based police vehicles.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

By that time, many full sized car buyers had already moved to three row utilities and large SUVs.

Ford made sure they channel stuffed as many crown vics to law enforcement departments as they could

before then switching to Explorer based police vehicles.

You're missing the point.  Ford profited greatly by selling full-size, rear-wheel drive vehicles to all those WW2 generation folks who wanted a full-sized car, not a down-sized FWD car they we're being forced into.  I personally know of several dyed-in-the-wool Buick owners who bought a Grand Maquis or Town Car once Buick discontinued the Roadmaster.  This goes back to Kirby's point that the same thing will happen during the BEV/ICE transition.  There is probably a sizeable segment of the population that wants nothing to do with BEV's and will drive an ICE powered vehicle as long as they can.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Unlike full-size sedans which is more of a preference with no other limitations. There are some factors that prevent some buyers switching from ICE vehicles to EV, like the higher MSRP, and the charging infrastructure, which is still very limited in some cities, states or even countries Ford exports to

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mackinaw said:

You're missing the point.  Ford profited greatly by selling full-size, rear-wheel drive vehicles to all those WW2 generation folks who wanted a full-sized car, not a down-sized FWD car they we're being forced into.  I personally know of several dyed-in-the-wool Buick owners who bought a Grand Maquis or Town Car once Buick discontinued the Roadmaster.  This goes back to Kirby's point that the same thing will happen during the BEV/ICE transition.  There is probably a sizeable segment of the population that wants nothing to do with BEV's and will drive an ICE powered vehicle as long as they can.  

Maybe I missed the point but I absolutely agree but for a different reason, Ford needs its cash cow F Series to keep producing until BEVs are profitable, that I think is a more distant proposition than Mister Farley’s exuberance will allow him to see…

My point with the Crown Victoria post was that Ford absolutely cashed in on panthers before closing down Wixom, Saint Thomas and  BOF Explorer then rebranded it’s D3 FWD/AWD s as Explorer and Taurus for an annually recurring savings. It’s similar but different to ICE to BEV…..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

2024 Lincoln Nautilus Spotted With Continental-Style Handles

This prototype seems to differ from the previously leaked model. Unlike the leaked model that has normal flush-mounted door handles, it has similar handles to the discontinued Continental . It is an interesting decision to bring back those style of handles from the discontinued sedan. I always thought they were unique to the brand and wondered why Lincoln didn’t make use of them across all new models.

18C101CB-DE92-4E57-9AAA-4593B9FECFE3.webp

Edited by BigBendMatt

21 hours ago, AGR said:

According to a guy that used to post here (now at GMI), the Nautilus with the Continental-style door handles will be exported to the US. 

BORG?   I feel like he’s said both it’ll come here and that it’s not.   And he tends to think you’re nuts if you question and don’t treat his current opinion/info as gospel.

I enjoy getting somewhat of an inside scoop from his comments, And while he would often be right, he’d also be wrong sometimes.  The way he’d completely shoot down any discussion of what he’d post was annoying.

—-

that said, with Lincoln’s lineup in flux/transition at the moment, and with some aging products, I think it’s be a good move to bring it here even if temporarily while they get BEV replacements out the door, and let customers transition over time, selling BEV and ICE at the same time.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 4

Off topic but I find it a blunder that Lincoln didn’t captioize off of the 2018-2021 Navigators double DRL design motif. They “slimmed down” the headlights and took away the double DRL which was on of it distinguishing features. Whether you noticed the car or not, the big double DRL made it instantly recognizable as the navigator and that should have spread through the lineup A la Cadillac with the huge vertical DRL from Escalade or the Double white/amber DRL in Genesis models. 

with such few achievements in recent memory, you’d think they would take a lil element like the double DRL and take advantage of it

it’s like no one in their company thinks of things like this. I remember about 6-7 years ago I was posting how it’s ridiculous that they have sync and ecoboost badging/branding on their vehicles and and even people of this site were giving me a hard time as if I was crazy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dds010 said:

Off topic but I find it a blunder that Lincoln didn’t captioize off of the 2018-2021 Navigators double DRL design motif. They “slimmed down” the headlights and took away the double DRL which was on of it distinguishing features. Whether you noticed the car or not, the big double DRL made it instantly recognizable as the navigator and that should have spread through the lineup A la Cadillac with the huge vertical DRL from Escalade or the Double white/amber DRL in Genesis models. 

with such few achievements in recent memory, you’d think they would take a lil element like the double DRL and take advantage of it

it’s like no one in their company thinks of things like this. I remember about 6-7 years ago I was posting how it’s ridiculous that they have sync and ecoboost badging/branding on their vehicles and and even people of this site were giving me a hard time as if I was crazy 

I wholeheartedly agree here. In my opinion, Lincoln hit gold, or at least was on the cusp of it with the design of the ‘18 Navigator (especially the concept). The double DRLs were much more distinguishable, and pretty attractive. I would have loved to have seen a scaled down Navigator, with those distinguishing details as the next-gen Nautilus. (The Aviator, while handsome, has a much softer appearance than the Navigator.) This new Nautilus, being a stretched version of it, is very Corsair in design. A modern take on the more “brawn” design of the Navigator would have been cool to see, though it seems the company is going for a more progressive design for its future vehicles as shown on the Star concept, which itself is not bad looking, but definitely a bit different than Lincoln 5 years ago. 

I am curious to see what other changes are made to the supposed NA model in addition to the Continental style handles. The front is very Chinese in my opinion, and I wonder if they will distinguish the front fascia’s like the American Corsair versus the refresh over in China. 

• Like 1

I do hope this vehicle makes it here.  Even though the name was on for just a few years, it's gained a positive reputation, and a good seller off and on throughout the years.  This interior shows us how it's moving forward in modern design while keeping the richness current Lincolns interiors have been praised for.  Hell, if it's built in China I don't think many would care overall. Let the market decide.  Kick the Nautilus out of the US, and then what... Lincoln will soilder with 3 products stateside.  Last time I saw that BS was like what, 98-99?... Mark8 killed, just Conti, TC and newly introduced Navi came in... and the only bright light was LS in '00 in the distance.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

I do hope this vehicle makes it here.  Even though the name was on for just a few years, it's gained a positive reputation, and a good seller off and on throughout the years.  This interior shows us how it's moving forward in modern design while keeping the richness current Lincolns interiors have been praised for.  Hell, if it's built in China I don't think many would care overall. Let the market decide.  Kick the Nautilus out of the US, and then what... Lincoln will soilder with 3 products stateside.  Last time I saw that BS was like what, 98-99?... Mark8 killed, just Conti, TC and newly introduced Navi came in... and the only bright light was LS in '00 in the distance.  

You pretty much nailed the reason why Ford will import this... Lincoln dealers need the products.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Thats why they created the Blackwood - to give Lincoln dealers something to sell after killing Conti and before Aviator in 03.

As much as I dislike the China source, they really do need to keep this vehicle in production with hev and PHEV options.  For a lot of folks like us Corsair is a bit too small and Aviator is too big.  We drove both.  I still think they could build it here next to Corsair.

34 minutes ago, akirby said:

As much as I dislike the China source, they really do need to keep this vehicle in production with hev and PHEV options.  For a lot of folks like us Corsair is a bit too small and Aviator is too big.  We drove both.  I still think they could build it here next to Corsair.

If I can ever convince my wife to go car shopping, I think she would like the Corsair.  Size wise, our 2011 Edge falls between the current Corsair and Edge/Nautilus.  We would lose a little bit of cargo space, but there is rarely more than the two of us in the car.  Would still have plenty of storage space when traveling. 

47 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

If I can ever convince my wife to go car shopping, I think she would like the Corsair.  Size wise, our 2011 Edge falls between the current Corsair and Edge/Nautilus.  We would lose a little bit of cargo space, but there is rarely more than the two of us in the car.  Would still have plenty of storage space when traveling. 

We actually liked it especially the new one with the Nautilus style dash and sync 4.  It’s just a tiny bit narrower.  For just the two of us cargo space would be fine but sometimes we travel with 1 or 2 additional people and even in the Nautilus cargo space can be a little tight.  One advantage is the Corsair offers the HUD option which is strangely not available on the Nautilus.  

We just plan to keep the naughti until it dies.

33 minutes ago, akirby said:

We actually liked it especially the new one with the Nautilus style dash and sync 4.  It’s just a tiny bit narrower.  For just the two of us cargo space would be fine but sometimes we travel with 1 or 2 additional people and even in the Nautilus cargo space can be a little tight.  One advantage is the Corsair offers the HUD option which is strangely not available on the Nautilus.  

We just plan to keep the naughti until it dies.

We’ve had the Edge 12 years now.  I prefer to trade it before it starts to “nickel and dime” us.  Had the right rear wheel bearing replaced a few years ago.  That is the only non-scheduled repair I’ve had to make.  It’s been a really good vehicle.  

• Like 3