$5000 to fix Adaptive Steering Fault??

OrangeTurbo

Hi everyone.  I have a 2019 F350 Platinum Diesel.  4 months after warranty ran out I got an Adaptive Steering Fault on the dash.  Dealer diagnosed and says Steering Assembly needs to be replaced....for $5000!  Anyone else had this fault?   The truck has been well cared for and maintained by the same dealer since new, and only has 36K KM (22,300 miles).  Dealer says I'm SOL as its out of warranty,  Escalated to Ford Customer Service - same response.  Any one else know of a cheaper fix, or an alternate path to get some compensation from Ford?  Starting to think this brand sucks.   thx

On 11/17/2022 at 9:39 PM, OrangeTurbo said:

Hi everyone.  I have a 2019 F350 Platinum Diesel.  4 months after warranty ran out I got an Adaptive Steering Fault on the dash.  Dealer diagnosed and says Steering Assembly needs to be replaced....for $5000!  Anyone else had this fault?   The truck has been well cared for and maintained by the same dealer since new, and only has 36K KM (22,300 miles).  Dealer says I'm SOL as its out of warranty,  Escalated to Ford Customer Service - same response.  Any one else know of a cheaper fix, or an alternate path to get some compensation from Ford?  Starting to think this brand sucks.   thx

Come on now, can you really say the brand sucks? Ford makes a good truck, they use good components. Yes some times thing break prematurely and you may get lemon or have issues but in the grand scheme of thing they are pretty good truck.

Have you had many issues in your 22k miles? Seeing your post history it does not seem so.

Your warranty ran out and you knew when it would happen. You know that when your warranty out that you are responsible for parts and labor. You also know that you had the option for the extended warranty.

There were holds on truck production in 2021 and 2022 because of adaptive steering, the adaptive steering components were/are much in demand and somewhat limited in supply. Well with that knowledge you know what that does to parts pricing. 

Whether AS or engine or transmission or radio,  componend does not matter, warranty is warranty.

Now...let's revisit the extended warranty option.

So why in the world would you blame Ford for your issues knowing all this.

The 8 year 100,000 warranty is only about 2500 bucks.

You bet and you got the losing hand, don't complain now.

I would have just kept my mouth shut but your last line tilted the scale for me..you came to a Ford forum with Ford people and say "starting to think the Ford brand sucks"

Once again...what do you expect?

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2022 at 6:39 PM, OrangeTurbo said:

I'm having a tough time understanding how Ford could be liable for compensation. Your truck is out of warranty. When completing the purchase, no doubt the dealer provided an offer of an extended warranty plan. Had you purchased the extended warranty the repairs would be covered. However, when you decline coverage, you accept all risks for repairs after the warranty expires.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rangers09 said:

I'm having a tough time understanding how Ford could be liable for compensation. Your truck is out of warranty. When completing the purchase, no doubt the dealer provided an offer of an extended warranty plan. Had you purchased the extended warranty the repairs would be covered. However, when you decline coverage, you accept all risks for repairs after the warranty expires.

Sometimes the manufacturer will approve a full or partial goodwill repair. It’s not a right or an expectation, but it never hurts to ask. I’ve actually sat in on a meeting with the warranty department at a big OEM and heard the finance liaison bitch about too many goodwill approvals. In his words, we were stuffing a cannon with money and firing it out into the street. 

10 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Had you purchased the extended warranty the repairs would be covered. However, when you decline coverage, you accept all risks for repairs after the warranty expires.

This is the part that irks me to no end.  It’s perfectly fair to be disappointed or to hope that Ford might cover it or part of it as a goodwill gesture.  But don’t EXPECT an OEM to just give you free warranty coverage for free when you chose not to purchase and then complain about it.  

To me it’s the same as going to Wendy’s, turning down the combo deal and only getting a burger and drink, then going back to the counter and asking for free fries.

That said I think Ford should provide more extended warranties for known defective items.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, akirby said:

This is the part that irks me to no end.  It’s perfectly fair to be disappointed or to hope that Ford might cover it or part of it as a goodwill gesture.  But don’t EXPECT an OEM to just give you free warranty coverage for free when you chose not to purchase and then complain about it.  

To me it’s the same as going to Wendy’s, turning down the combo deal and only getting a burger and drink, then going back to the counter and asking for free fries.

That said I think Ford should provide more extended warranties for known defective items.

Sorry if you are "irked" but you incorrectly assume I was offered to buy an extended warranty - I was not.  Sure I could have approached them but honestly it never occurred to me and when the truck went in the first time with this issue, I wasnt sure if the warranty was still in effect or not.  Ive had 6 Jeeps, 2 Durangos and 1 RAM before this, never ever bought an extended warranty nor regretted not doing so.  Regardless, I do think that its realistic to expect that a truck shouldn't require a 5000 repair when its only got 22000 miles on it, so was hoping Ford would view this as a exception and at least provide something toward the expense.

15 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

As noted above - NO, the dealer didnt offer the extended warranty, but furthermore I didn't think I needed one although that was based on 40 years experience with Dodge/Jeep/RAM, but thx anyway.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Come on now, can you really say the brand sucks? Ford makes a good truck, they use good components. Yes some times thing break prematurely and you may get lemon or have issues but in the grand scheme of thing they are pretty good truck.

I would have just kept my mouth shut but your last line tilted the scale for me..you came to a Ford forum with Ford people and say "starting to think the Ford brand sucks"

Once again...what do you expect?

I only stated this comment about the brand, because as noted above I've had lots of Dodge/RAM/Jeep products and in comparison my experience with FORD has been not so good, thats all.  

3 hours ago, OrangeTurbo said:

Sorry if you are "irked" but you incorrectly assume I was offered to buy an extended warranty - I was not. 

Well you’re the only person in America that hasn’t been offered an extended warranty.  Even so they’re sold by every Ford dealer in America and can be purchased any time before the bumper to bumper warranty expires,  

More importantly Ford does tons of goodwill repairs out of warranty but the dealer has to participate.  So at this point it’s on your dealer not Ford.  And if you don’t think things like this break on Rams you’re mistaken.

I have always been a Chevy guy...had great luck with all my GM vehicles.

Then I got a new 2012 f150..abused the hell out of it, no issues. Then got a 2019 f250 no issues, then a 2019 f350 dually utility bed, still no issues.

Now a 22 srw f350..got it Sept 2021, once again (to date) no issues ( Well there was one issue but turned out not to be the truck it was the bank's pedal monster and the truck not communicating well, was a banks software version)

I am a fan of the f series trucks, basic BS components break here and there but that is expected because i use my trucks as workhorses.

The f series trucks are great in my book.

But the price of parts and labor are high....with this damn inflation they will go even higher. 

To all of you reading this that say "I have the money to pay for it, I don't need a warranty, it's nothing but gambling and a waste of money"

Remember situations like what this guy just ran into , they're really not all of that rare

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

To all of you reading this that say "I have the money to pay for it, I don't need a warranty, it's nothing but gambling and a waste of money"

If I save $10k by never buying an extended warranty and have to make a $5k repair - who’s ahead?

It is gambling and the odds are not in your favor.  But just like Vegas sometimes you win.  But in the long run it’s almost always cheaper to pay for your own repairs if possible,

On 11/17/2022 at 8:39 PM, OrangeTurbo said:

Just so you know, Zeilger Ford can still provide "new coverage" extended warranties within a 41 month/36,000 timeframe from date of entering warranty coverage, I just added one to my 2019 Edge with 1 day to spare. https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/warranty_plans/default.aspx?plan_id=2053

HRG

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Just so you know, Zeilger Ford can still provide "new coverage" extended warranties within a 41 month/36,000 timeframe from date of entering warranty coverage, I just added one to my 2019 Edge with 1 day to spare. https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/warranty_plans/default.aspx?plan_id=2053

HRG

Wont help if something is already broken though 

On 11/20/2022 at 4:04 PM, rottekatz1 said:

Hemi tic caused me to get rid of Ram.

An oil formulator believes he discovered the cause of the Hemi "tic".  He believed the valves were not rotating and would get "stuck".  By adding {I don't recall the additive) to the oil, it would prevent the tic.  I actually started running T6 in the SRT Challenger.  Oil analysis is showing good results.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2022 at 7:32 PM, akirby said:

If I save $10k by never buying an extended warranty and have to make a $5k repair - who’s ahead?

It is gambling and the odds are not in your favor.  But just like Vegas sometimes you win.  But in the long run it’s almost always cheaper to pay for your own repairs if possible,

I decided for the first time in my life to add an extended warranty, along with maintenance contract.  Looking at the cost of oil changes on the 6.7L, the maintenance contract was almost a wash, and it gained me extra coverage on the warranty too.

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2022 at 11:45 AM, OrangeTurbo said:

As noted above - NO, the dealer didnt offer the extended warranty, but furthermore I didn't think I needed one although that was based on 40 years experience with Dodge/Jeep/RAM, but thx anyway.

As a current ram owner for the past 8 years I’ve had a lot more issues with it than I have all my other vehicles combined. Most of the issues have been known issues since 2012. I just got my truck back after the local stealership had it got for almost 3 weeks. A little over 2 weeks to get the manufacturer to ok the repair and 2 days for the service department to do why they told me was a 6 hour job. With the current quality and poor customer service and repairs I wouldn’t buy another ram. I was fortunate to take them up on the extended warranty they offered. It was a lifetime power train warranty and I’ve got plenty of use of it. I normally don’t buy extended warranties , but I’m glad I did. If they hadn’t offered it I would have never thought about asking for it. 

On 11/20/2022 at 3:04 PM, rottekatz1 said:

Hemi tic caused me to get rid of Ram.

Using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Redline oil pretty much takes care of the hemi tick. That’s all I use in my rams hemi. Hopefully by the end of the year I’ll be out of that pos. 

Edited by NevadaMike

On 11/24/2022 at 3:45 PM, road turtle said:

I decided for the first time in my life to add an extended warranty, along with maintenance contract.  Looking at the cost of oil changes on the 6.7L, the maintenance contract was almost a wash, and it gained me extra coverage on the warranty too.

How much did those cost and what do they cover and for how long?