2024 Explorer Grand Slam

I would like to see Ford hit a grand slam with the upcoming 2024 Explorer!

I leased a 2021 Explorer XLT 4WD in December 2020 and have had 26,000 miles of trouble free driving.

However, I do see a few things that need improvement after driving this SUV for almost two years. My prior Explorer was a 2011 XLT 4WD , 3.5 V6 which never gave me any issues except for an electric motor radiator failure that sent the vehicle into limp home mode one time!

The current Explorer needs to have a smoother and quieter base engine. The 2.3 is noisy when accelerating and does not show the refinement needed to be competitive in this market segment. It should be as smooth as the 2.0 liter ecoboost in an escape!

Power and acceleration is fine and actual fuel economy on the highway is amazing.

The other gripe is the base radio is too poor and should be improved.

Vehicle handling is ideal but ride quality could be improved.

I hope Ford considers this input for their 2024 Explorer.

edselford

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 8:36 AM, edselford said:

I would like to see Ford hit a grand slam with the upcoming 2024 Explorer!

I leased a 2021 Explorer XLT 4WD in December 2020 and have had 26,000 miles of trouble free driving.

However, I do see a few things that need improvement after driving this SUV for almost two years. My prior Explorer was a 2011 XLT 4WD , 3.5 V6 which never gave me any issues except for an electric motor radiator failure that sent the vehicle into limp home mode one time!

The current Explorer needs to have a smoother and quieter base engine. The 2.3 is noisy when accelerating and does not show the refinement needed to be competitive in this market segment. It should be as smooth as the 2.0 liter ecoboost in an escape!

Power and acceleration is fine and actual fuel economy on the highway is amazing.

The other gripe is the base radio is too poor and should be improved.

Vehicle handling is ideal but ride quality could be improved.

I hope Ford considers this input for their 2024 Explorer.

edselford

The two things ford needs to improve with the next few explorer's is the quality, and the design. Areas where the 2011-19 explorer is vastly superior to the current generation. For the refreshed gas version, give it a chunkier and sharper design like the Chinese version. For the ev version, give me a sleeker, more modern and sporty take on the explorer's design, like the top silver sketch on that one page. Make both versions reliable, and give them decent tech at a reasonable price point. That's what I would like to see. 

2023-ford-explorer-cn (2).jpg

2023-ford-explorer-cn (1).jpg

04cfa3f2bf5d90aee6d680cd55828101 (1).jpg

ford-ev-crossovers-1647268784.jpg

On 11/19/2022 at 9:36 AM, edselford said:

The current Explorer needs to have a smoother and quieter base engine. The 2.3 is noisy when accelerating and does not show the refinement needed to be competitive in this market segment.

Haven’t some competitors introduce or are in process of introducing inline sixes, which are generally smoother than 4 cylinder engines?  I don’t know if the I-6s are base or optional, since the turbo variants have much more power than one would expect for a base engine.  I saw a report suggesting Mazda may offer a naturally aspirated I-6 in Europe, but don’t know if it will make US market.

Besides the quality issues, I enjoy everything about our explorer. I think the exterior design is still one of the better looking in the segment. The 2.3 seems fine to me. I haven’t noticed any excessive noise or vibrations, but I’m used to 4 cylinders so maybe that explains it. The only complaint I really have is the screen is too small.

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Besides the quality issues, I enjoy everything about our explorer. I think the exterior design is still one of the better looking in the segment. The 2.3 seems fine to me. I haven’t noticed any excessive noise or vibrations, but I’m used to 4 cylinders so maybe that explains it. The only complaint I really have is the screen is too small.

I got ride in my sisters Explorer and I was suprised at how well it moved with the 2.3L

I've heard good things about it in the Bronco also

I recently drove an Explorer for my work.  State Government fleet vehicle.  When I didn't see the Ecoboost badge on the back lid, of course I had to pop the hood.  I counted 6 spark plugs.  Since no EB badging, I'm guessing fleet vehicles get the 3.3 NA engine.

But it was smooth and quick.  I got in the low 20's for FE.  I think I had about 430 miles of range according to the computer.

For a fleet vehicle, it was decent.  All it would have needed is remote start and I would have been happy with it for a personal vehicle.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:58 AM, silvrsvt said:

I got ride in my sisters Explorer and I was suprised at how well it moved with the 2.3L

My 2022 Bronco Black Diamond has that motor and she steps out quite nicely...and I am getting 20.5 MPG in mixed suburban driving

On 12/1/2022 at 10:58 AM, silvrsvt said:

The 2019 Ranger for my family's business has that engine. It's got plenty of pep. But edselford is correct about the high level of NVH from the 2.3L EcoBoost engine. The 10-speed automatic transmission accentuates the engine's NVH as it hunts for the right gear.

Pickup truck and Bronco owners generally don't mind, but for Explorer, a smoother and quieter powertrain would be needed to compete with the segment leaders. Of course, once Explorer BEV comes out, this issue will be solved.

40 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

The 2019 Ranger for my family's business has that engine. It's got plenty of pep. But edselford is correct about the high level of NVH from the 2.3L EcoBoost engine. The 10-speed automatic transmission accentuates the engine's NVH as it hunts for the right gear.

Pickup truck and Bronco owners generally don't mind, but for Explorer, a smoother and quieter powertrain would be needed to compete with the segment leaders. Of course, once Explorer BEV comes out, this issue will be solved.

I also had the 2.3L Eco boost in my 2017 MKC...smooth and powerful even though it was hooked up to a 6 speed transaxle.

On 12/5/2022 at 8:54 AM, Rick73 said:

Since 2024 Mustang will have an “all new” 2.3L EcoBoost per Ford Media, is it not expected that other vehicles will also get the new 2.3L engine as a replacement?  Or are engine differences so minor that it doesn’t matter when comparing?

From my understanding, the 2.3 in the focus RS and mustang isn't really the same as the 2.3 in everything else. The 2.3 in the mustang is more performance oriented. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2.3 in the ranger/bronco and explorer was more focused on things like low end torque and longevity.

8 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

From my understanding, the 2.3 in the focus RS and mustang isn't really the same as the 2.3 in everything else. The 2.3 in the mustang is more performance oriented. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2.3 in the ranger/bronco and explorer was more focused on things like low end torque and longevity.

There may be some minor differences but the performance difference is mostly due to the turbo, intercooler and tuning.

Lots of things affect NVH, although I still don’t think it’s as bad as some are saying in the Explorer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Ford Media stated Mustang 2.3L EB RWD engine is all new, as was also confirmed by Motor Trend and others.  The new engine has smaller bore and longer stroke, so it is reasonable to expect improved low-end torque.  MT claims only a few fasteners are common with previous 2.3L EB.  Apparently a new turbo and other improvements help reduce turbo lag and improves drivability.  It is interesting they mention team prioritized fun performance over peak power numbers.

They also mention at least equal power and fuel economy.  Improved efficiency seems a reasonable expectation given higher compression ratio and Stroke/Bore ratio as specified in Ford Media.  Another article mentioned this engine would find its way into other RWD vehicles.  Sounds like good news for those who haven’t given up on ICE quite yet.  This new engine seems ideal to me for naturally aspirated Atkinson variant.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-ford-mustang-engine-ecoboost-v-8-deep-dive/