Considering purchasing 2020 black label what do I need to know ?

Thisguy159

Hi, I am currently and MKX owner 2016 and I love the vehicle. I am looking to get a 2020 aviator black label. I understand that there's some quality issues but I am not clear as to what they are with either the model or the model year you tell me. I'm looking for some help on finding out what should I be looking for and what are my risks?

Edited by Thisguy159

16 hours ago, Thisguy159 said:

Hi, I am currently and MKX owner 2016 and I love the vehicle. I am looking to get a 2020 aviator black label. I understand that there's some quality issues but I am not clear as to what they are with either the model or the model year you tell me. I'm looking for some help on finding out what should I be looking for and what are my risks?

Hello Thisguy159, Consumer Reports just released data from its 2022 automotive reliability survey last week. Below is the data for Aviator, 2020 and 2021 model years (Consumer Reports didn't have sufficient sample size for 2022 model year Aviator). 

Overall, 2020 Aviator is among the most trouble prone vehicles in the entire survey, with a high frequency of quality/reliability issues across multiple areas.

image.thumb.png.74f809861a06188b815db45c337a5bbf.png

image.thumb.png.1152ee18f9169e0f955b570f39ecfb44.png

image.thumb.png.f20076e431a5c10050a272ad7fd701d9.png

image.png

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

TY both.  So a few questions and looking for some opinions.

Looks like the vehicle I liked was repurchased through lemon laws for air suspension and the vehicle was fixed by ford.  Thoughts on this, I'm not sure I should care with warranty still there and it being fixed by ford but I honestly never bought a used vehicle and not sure the protocol here.

Other questions:

1. My mkx I can adjust the suspension / trans etc to my liking ie, sport suspension with standard trans, I haven't been able to find that in the aviator when I test drove it is it possible.

2. Is the regular suspension with adaptive dampers too.  Is the air suspension really worth it, not price just performance.

3. Being black label do I as a secondary buyer get the BL benefits for the remainder of the time?

4. Will I get the regular maintenance transferred to me as a secondary buyer?

5. Is touring actually faster with the extra weight?

6. Led pixel lights, it looks like the 2 projector ones are the better ones even though the 5 compartment ones look cooler in my opinion.  Am I correct in this.

7. Any real differences between 20-23 model years other then colors, package variations?

8. Sync 3? pretty disanointed in that, I'm guessing the hardware will not handle 4?

I'm sure more to come

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thisguy159 said:

TY both.  So a few questions and looking for some opinions.

Looks like the vehicle I liked was repurchased through lemon laws for air suspension and the vehicle was fixed by ford.  Thoughts on this, I'm not sure I should care with warranty still there and it being fixed by ford but I honestly never bought a used vehicle and not sure the protocol here.

Other questions:

1. My mkx I can adjust the suspension / trans etc to my liking ie, sport suspension with standard trans, I haven't been able to find that in the aviator when I test drove it is it possible.

2. Is the regular suspension with adaptive dampers too.  Is the air suspension really worth it, not price just performance.

3. Being black label do I as a secondary buyer get the BL benefits for the remainder of the time?

4. Will I get the regular maintenance transferred to me as a secondary buyer?

5. Is touring actually faster with the extra weight?

6. Led pixel lights, it looks like the 2 projector ones are the better ones even though the 5 compartment ones look cooler in my opinion.  Am I correct in this.

7. Any real differences between 20-23 model years other then colors, package variations?

8. Sync 3? pretty disanointed in that, I'm guessing the hardware will not handle 4?

I'm sure more to come

Hi Thisguy. I will answer what I can off the top of my head:

2. The "regular suspension" does not have the same "adaptive suspension" (minus air suspension).

3. No. Most Black Label Perks only belong to the original buyer. No free car washes, yearly detail, etc. etc., unless the Dealer offers it on their own. Especially if it is not a Black Label certified Dealer.

4. Yes, just as with any used vehicle buyer, you will get the balance of the regular Lincoln 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty and 6 year/70,000 mile Powertrain Warranty. Anything additional would be between you and the Dealer, and need to be specified in the purchase contract.

6. Which is better is one of those "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" questions. Both headlight systems are excellent 

8. Yes, all current Aviator models are equipped with SYNC 3 (which is actually pretty good). And yes, the SYNC 3 hardware and software can not/will not handle or be upgraded to SYNC 4.

Essentially, a used Black Label carries no special cachet, unless you like the looks of the interior and exterior differences which are not available on non-Black Label Aviators (nicer Black Label leather interiors, Black Label wheels etc.). So don't get tricked into paying too much more for a used Black Label.

Also, just to make it clear...None of he above is a shot at Black Label vehicles or the Black Label Aviator. I happen to like them. It is simply that Lincoln states the Black Label perks do not transfer to a second buyer, unless it is specified in the purchase contract. Perhaps they will do so for a Lemon Law buyback? That you will need to work out with the Dealer and Lincoln. Just be sure to get it in writing.

I am sure others will jump in with more advice and opinions.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Thanks 1