EV NEWS: GM to launch Corvette EV sub-brand in 2025

rperez817

Corvette to Launch as a Brand in 2025 with a Four-Door and an SUV (caranddriver.com)

Highlights.

• In terms of brand value, Corvette is among the auto industry's most heralded and valued nameplates
  • Starting in 2025, GM plans to launch a Corvette brand that will also include a sleek four-door coupe and a brawny crossover. Both of these future new Vettes will be EVs.
  • Technologies include battery packs with high energy density, superfast software, a patented cooling concept, staggered Lego-like topographic packaging, miniaturized componentry, ultra-efficient inverters, high-revving electric motors, an 800-volt electrical system that provides up to 350 kW of charging power, a two-speed transmission, brake-by-wire, multi-mode four-wheel steering, and torque vectoring
  • The new Corvette lineup will be positioned well above its rivals, such as a future trio of electric Mustangs

58 minutes ago, rperez817 said:
  • The new Corvette lineup will be positioned well above its rivals, such as a future trio of electric Mustangs

I'm not a GM fan nor a Corvette fan though I do recognize its significance in the American history of cars as a 2-seater sports car. They may as well make it a sub-brand using the Corvette name as what Ford is doing with Mustang. The second name being for the additional family of vehicles. Like the 'Mustang Mach-E' for example while singular 'Mustang' being the traditional rear drive 2+2 coupe/convertible. They can do that with Corvette by keeping its current car the 'Corvette' and the EVs the 'Corvette A', 'Corvette B', etc. but with actual names instead of letters. However, I'm more curious about the 'future trio of electric Mustangs' the article mentioned. Does GM know something we don't know about future Mustang EVs? Specifically the 'trio' of them. Hmm...

On 11/29/2022 at 3:46 PM, pffan1990 said:

I'm not a GM fan nor a Corvette fan though I do recognize its significance in the American history of cars as a 2-seater sports car. They may as well make it a sub-brand using the Corvette name as what Ford is doing with Mustang. The second name being for the additional family of vehicles. Like the 'Mustang Mach-E' for example while singular 'Mustang' being the traditional rear drive 2+2 coupe/convertible. They can do that with Corvette by keeping its current car the 'Corvette' and the EVs the 'Corvette A', 'Corvette B', etc. but with actual names instead of letters. However, I'm more curious about the 'future trio of electric Mustangs' the article mentioned. Does GM know something we don't know about future Mustang EVs? Specifically the 'trio' of them. Hmm...

Probably the coupe and convertible, a sedan, and the Mach-E.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AGR said:

Saw this rendering on the Information Superhighway; cute but about as practical as the Corvair 95 Rampside was.

Mary & the boys must be looking at the dilution of the Porsche (Taycan) and Ferarri (Purosangue, SF90 Stradale, 2025 BEV) missions and decided it's time to up their game.  No word yet on the FCEV Ford GT SuperCrew. 

ford-mach-e-pickup-rendering.thumb.jpg.fd6c6faf50fe1c45b8c7ed04a63e1d78.jpg

Edited by Chrisgb
sp. error
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 9:53 PM, AGR said:

Not the Corvette, but semi-related:

Chevy FNR-XE electric sedan concept takes Ultium to cars (greencarreports.com)

There were rumors of a sedan to replace the Malibu and Camaro, the production version of this might be it. It doesn't look too far off from a production car.

That looks like a logical evolution of the Malibu into an EV. I actually like that and think they should build it.

Many have argued to slap Escalade on other Cadillac products for years.

i don’t think Camaro needs a sub brand.  They barely seem to be able to keep it around on its own, let alone slapping the name on something else.

Edited by rmc523

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Many have argued to slap Escalade on other Cadillac products for years.

i don’t think Camaro needs a sub brand.  They barely seem to be able to keep it around on its own, let alone slapping the name on something else.

Especially with Corvette being its own sub brand.  But in typical GM style they’ll have multiple redundant sub brands with different grilles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, akirby said:

Especially with Corvette being its own sub brand.  But in typical GM style they’ll have multiple redundant sub brands with different grilles.

That was my exact thought when I heard this. If anything, GM needs fewer brands. If they do this, they will have more brands than before they canceled Oldsmobile.

1 hour ago, NLPRacing said:

That was my exact thought when I heard this. If anything, GM needs fewer brands. If they do this, they will have more brands than before they canceled Oldsmobile.

Ironically Oldsmobile was the only GM brand that I thought had decent styling.

GMs planning seems to look at business cases for individual vehicles or brands rather than the big picture at a corporate level.

It’s easy to look at 4 individual business cases that are all positive and say go ahead.  But what is the business case for GM if they only did 2?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 7:52 PM, AGR said:

Not just the fact that they said trio, but a trio of evs. That's what really caught my attention. Maybe the mach-e and an EV sedan like you mentioned. But potentially there's also another ev mustang in development? Either a EV coupe, or a more exotic ev c8 rival? Idk, just fun speculation, we'll see what ford's planning.  The fact that they're testing so many performance sedans and mid engine cars makes me think something is up.