Ford November 2022 U.S. sales

Sales of Ford Electric Vehicles Climb at Twice the Rate of EV Segment; F-150 Lightning, E-Transit No. 1 Electric Truck and Van; Retail Orders for ’23MY Vehicles up 104%, driven by Strong Demand For Super Duty, Maverick; F-Series On Track For 46th Year as America’s No. 1 Truck | Ford Media Center

Highlights.

• Ford’s sales of electric vehicles expanded at approximately twice the rate of the overall electric vehicle segment in November
  • Ford electric vehicles sales were up 103 percent for the month compared to year ago, making Ford America’s second best-selling brand and manufacturer of electric vehicles behind Tesla
  • As America’s best-selling electric truck in November, F-150 Lightning sales totaled 2,062
  • The Ford E-Transit continues to lead the commercial EV industry with 80% market share. During the month, Ford Pro sold 654 E-Transits.
  • Mustang Mach-E sales climbed 14.6 percent over last year on sales of 3,539. Mustang Mach-E global production has now topped more than 150,000.
  • Ford’s BlueCruise/Lincoln ActiveGlide technology customer enrollment continues to grow, passing the 100,000 mark with a total of 109,000 enrollments

November 2022 Sales Release Final.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Had a vendor go bankrupt so we stopped building for a few weeks. 

Instaset?  Also a supplier to GM.  https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/10/gm-plastics-supplier-files-for-bankruptcy-in-michigan/

“In late 2021, debtor was unsuccessful in its customer requests for price increases in order to defray the impact of increased costs of labor and raw materials,” the filing said. “The cumulative effect of labor and supply chain shortages along with increases in raw material costs has burdened [Instaset] with substantial debt and no adequate means to generate revenue sufficient to continue to meet customer requirements.”

HRG

50 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

Does Ford single source all parts?

A lot of them yes, you’ll recall the problem a few years ago with sourcing F Series frames to name one example. One supplier with EV. batteries really hurt Mach E launch in China.

For Thailand production, many essential Ranger an Everest parts come from China and every time covid lock downs come back it hurts production. Aussie buyer wait times for V6 Everest, Ranger Raptor, Wildtrak, Sport XLT with V6 are now out past April, XL with 2.0 diesel is available but zero interest in them.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Instaset?  Also a supplier to GM.  https://gmauthority.com/blog/2022/10/gm-plastics-supplier-files-for-bankruptcy-in-michigan/

“In late 2021, debtor was unsuccessful in its customer requests for price increases in order to defray the impact of increased costs of labor and raw materials,” the filing said. “The cumulative effect of labor and supply chain shortages along with increases in raw material costs has burdened [Instaset] with substantial debt and no adequate means to generate revenue sufficient to continue to meet customer requirements.”

HRG

I don’t know which one it was but it wasn’t that one based on what they make. I may have already said too much. 

51 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

A lot of them yes, you’ll recall the problem a few years ago with sourcing F Series frames to name one example. One supplier with EV. batteries really hurt Mach E launch in China.

For Thailand production, many essential Ranger an Everest parts come from China and every time covid lock downs come back it hurts production. Aussie buyer wait times for V6 Everest, Ranger Raptor, Wildtrak, Sport XLT with V6 are now out past April, XL with 2.0 diesel is available but zero interest in them.

To my knowledge not much, if any, of our stuff comes from China. A lot if it is actually fairly local. Some from Canada and some  from Mexico too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tico said:

Maybe this was due to limited production of Mustang coups, but Mach E outsold ICE Mustangs in November.

This is not a sales/demand side problem, Ford can’t make enough to fill orders for customers on  most of its vehicles, The only exception I see is Explorer which has about 30,000 inventory

Also telling that Ford crows about EV sales but he reality is ~2,000 Lightnings, ~3,000 Mach E and ~900 EV Transit. That’s like 6,000 sales out of 146,000……they just can’t get the ramp up going.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

To my knowledge not much, if any, of our stuff comes from China. A lot if it is actually fairly local. Some from Canada and some  from Mexico too.

I understand that but it still confounds me how Ford keeps making plans that have so much vulnerability, they still don’t get it.  Here they are with an almost runaway success with V6 Ranger in our Australian market, customers all paying hefty price and Ford still has a dog and a block of ice mentality.

Edited by jpd80

53 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Also telling that Ford crows about EV sales but he reality is ~2,000 Lightnings, ~3,000 Mach E and ~900 EV Transit. That’s like 6,000 sales out of 146,000……they just can’t get the ramp up going.

Lightning has been fairly flat at around 2,000 for six months starting in June, first full month.  What is limiting ramp up?

33 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

What is limiting ramp up?

25 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Supply chain

High voltage battery supply chain in particular has been a big constraint. In the summer, Ford signed a MOU with CATL for LFP battery packs for Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning. But those won't start production until 2023 for Mach-E and 2024 for F-150 Lightning. CATL and Ford announce Global Strategic Cooperation to promote EVs worldwide (prnewswire.com)

I am, what, disheartened? Pissed? at the dismal Ranger sales. I think most all BOF members cheer on the sales of models they own.

There were several weeks of "No Scheduling" this year, and the pre-pandemic numbers looked promising for making a legitimate run at the confoundingly successful Tacoma. My unsubstantiated guesses are either they are producing and stockpiling 2024 NA Ranger parts, and/or Ranger has a weak voice at the Glass House Wednesday product meetings (still do those?) or both. 

1 hour ago, Chrisgb said:

I am, what, disheartened? Pissed? at the dismal Ranger sales. I think most all BOF members cheer on the sales of models they own.

There were several weeks of "No Scheduling" this year, and the pre-pandemic numbers looked promising for making a legitimate run at the confoundingly successful Tacoma. My unsubstantiated guesses are either they are producing and stockpiling 2024 NA Ranger parts, and/or Ranger has a weak voice at the Glass House Wednesday product meetings (still do those?) or both. 

Limited parts supply for T6s and Ford prioritising Bronco builds, there’s still a huge line of orders.

Edited by jpd80

45 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Limited parts supply for T6s and Ford prioritising Bronco builds, there’s still a huge line of orders.

It’s mostly that. 375 is a dead man walking so why bother stockpiling parts? 

Good news is on that front, the parts issues we were having in Body shop seem to have subsided for the time being. I do find it curious they haven’t formally announced the North American Ranger for 2024 yet. 

38 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It’s mostly that. 375 is a dead man walking so why bother stockpiling parts? 

Good news is on that front, the parts issues we were having in Body shop seem to have subsided for the time being. I do find it curious they haven’t formally announced the North American Ranger for 2024 yet. 

Originally, NA Ranger was to run a year longer after roll out of NG global Ranger to cover the cost of upgrades to Gen 1 PX3,,,,,

I see nothing wrong with starting Ranger  Raptor and maybe V6 Platinum alongside current Bronco to optimise premium sales before complete roll out of next Gen Ranger but will Ford do that, maybe not……would be great if they did.

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

Currently, as mentioned above they are prioritizing Bronco builds to deliver all of those original and new orders, while also dealing with supply chain shortages on the current Ranger.

I can promise you that the 2024 Ranger for North America will be an amazing product with sincere dedication in making sure it continues to build its audience. It is loved and not neglected at all. The North American variant will be closer to the global version this time since NA was involved from the start of its development. 

Pretty sure it will be SuperCrew only in order to cut down on complexity. But the SuperCrew will allow for additional size variants….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Currently, as mentioned above they are prioritizing Bronco builds to deliver all of those original and new orders, while also dealing with supply chain shortages on the current Ranger.

I can promise you that the 2024 Ranger for North America will be an amazing product with sincere dedication in making sure it continues to build its audience. It is loved and not neglected at all. The North American variant will be closer to the global version this time since NA was involved from the start of its development. 

Pretty sure it will be SuperCrew only in order to cut down on complexity. But the SuperCrew will allow for additional size variants….

If true, huge mistake IMO.  There are plenty of buyers who would STILL buy a conventional cab to say nothing of those who clearly want a Supercab.   It seems all the product planners at Ford, GM, Ram drink the same Kool-Aid.  And I get it on cost of model proliferation but there is a point  where you have to draw the Line.

At my old age I've thought of a 150 short bed with a 5.0.  My sons of course say I should at least get a supercab so I can haul their kids around?.  I've been looking at at 22 Rangers but when I look at the 24 I say I've waited this long, I can wait for that.  My 04 FX 4 Level II has been in family since new, always garaged.  I have people lined up who want to buy it so....hopefully the '23 run will be a short one.

BUT..no super cab?...maybe I'll go crazy and put a 347 crate in the 04!

48 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

If true, huge mistake IMO.  There are plenty of buyers who would STILL buy a conventional cab to say nothing of those who clearly want a Supercab.   It seems all the product planners at Ford, GM, Ram drink the same Kool-Aid.  And I get it on cost of model proliferation but there is a point  where you have to draw the Line.

At my old age I've thought of a 150 short bed with a 5.0.  My sons of course say I should at least get a supercab so I can haul their kids around?.  I've been looking at at 22 Rangers but when I look at the 24 I say I've waited this long, I can wait for that.  My 04 FX 4 Level II has been in family since new, always garaged.  I have people lined up who want to buy it so....hopefully the '23 run will be a short one.

BUT..no super cab?...maybe I'll go crazy and put a 347 crate in the 04!

Have you compared the supercrew and Supercab rangers?  Not much difference and the backseat of a Supercab is almost unusable for adults.  The supercrew is borderline.  This is different than F150 where the Supercab is quite comfortable for 3 adults.

I would want a supercrew but with a 6’ or 6.5’ bed.

Saying “there are people who would buy” doesn’t mean it’s profitable.  If they can keep the factory running at capacity that’s all that matters.

39 minutes ago, akirby said:

Have you compared the supercrew and Supercab rangers?  Not much difference and the backseat of a Supercab is almost unusable for adults.  The supercrew is borderline.  This is different than F150 where the Supercab is quite comfortable for 3 adults.

I would want a supercrew but with a 6’ or 6.5’ bed.

Saying “there are people who would buy” doesn’t mean it’s profitable.  If they can keep the factory running at capacity that’s all that matters.

We don't know anything about the 2024 North American Ranger yet, but as a 2022 Ranger SuperCrew owner you are correct in saying the SuperCab is unusable for seating anyone except for the smallest of children. The SuperCrew is fine for most adults except for real large ones. I'm a 6'1, 210 lb. male and I fit fine in the back of a Ranger SuperCrew for shorter trips. I wouldn't want to be back there on a real long road trip. Same goes for the Maverick which has similar back seat space. The Ranger SuperCab is a no go for pretty much any adult. It's mainly just extra storage space.

It's probably simpler and more cost effective to just offer one SuperCrew cab and have a longer frame and box if they want to still offer 5' and 6' options. We'll hopefully see what is coming in a few months.

• Like 1