ICE Strikes Back! Super-Duty orders are Insane!

From today's Detroit Free Press.  And in a shocking development, not one of these Super-Duties are a BEV.

"The Dearborn automaker shattered a sales record for the month of November after reaching a record-setting pace of 52,518 new orders for the 2023 Super Duty pickup in the last five days of October, when it averaged more than 10,000 trucks a day, according to monthly sales data.

But the November sales report nearly triples that figure.  Ford now has orders for 151,870 Super Duty trucks since the order bank opened Oct. 27, the company revealed Friday.  "The demand is just insane," said Todd Dunn, president of UAW Local 862, whose members build the vehicle at the Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville. "A lot of people love those vehicles for farms, hauling. It's a beast."  These are not reservations; these are orders placed through Ford car dealerships on behalf of actual customers who have decided to purchase the vehicle."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2022/12/03/latest-ford-super-duty-orders-set-insane-pace/69695780007/

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Order bank for 2023 closing in.......

I wonder how many of these orders will spill over into 2024.

They’ll make over 300k and only 150k orders so I’d say virtually none barring some long parts issue.  That’s why they closed the order banks so early.

Edited by akirby

5 hours ago, akirby said:

They’ll make over 300k and only 150k orders so I’d say virtually none barring some long parts issue.  That’s why they closed the order banks so early.

150,000 super duty orders is at least 5 months solid production through to the end of April 2023…..

GM and Ram would kill to have those HD orders

• Like 1

9 hours ago, akirby said:

How many 2022 orders have not been filled yet?  Or 2021's for that matter.  Heard rumors the Super Duty will have a short 2023 MY.

This mess will not improve until the economy tanks, by that time a lot of buyers with trucks on order will back out so dealers will have some inventory when they eventually get built.  No way I am ordering anything now, good chance a buyer's market will develop within 12-18 months.  

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

How many 2022 orders have not been filled yet?  Or 2021's for that matter.  Heard rumors the Super Duty will have a short 2023 MY.

This mess will not improve until the economy tanks, by that time a lot of buyers with trucks on order will back out so dealers will have some inventory when they eventually get built.  No way I am ordering anything now, good chance a buyer's market will develop within 12-18 months.  

Ford has no intention of letting F Series inventory getting as big as it used to be.

At last count it was around 149,000, Ford has worked out how to keep dealers

and customers hungry for stock.

I’d forget about a tanking economy, the rich corporates want everyone employed 

and paying down a loan, it’s how they maximise profits from all of us.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, akirby said:

Irrelevant since all those have been converted to 2023 orders and are part of the 150k.

Absolutely true, most customers would be glad to get an upgrade to MY23 on the build instead of MY22.

It must be so satisfying to see nearly 6 months of forward orders for Super Duty

10 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Absolutely true, most customers would be glad to get an upgrade to MY23 on the build instead of MY22.

It must be so satisfying to see nearly 6 months of forward orders for Super Duty

They’re not glad that they have to keep waiting or that Ford isn’t stepping up and making all those priority 2 - they’re letting the dealers prioritize them and asking them to make these a priority.  Even with the PCOs some might still see a price increase over the 22 model.  But it is what it is.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:48 PM, akirby said:

They won't make as many 2023's as they usually do as it will be a short production run.  Figure 7 months +/- as they try to get back to normal schedule for 2024.

1 hour ago, fordmantpw said:

They won't make as many 2023's as they usually do as it will be a short production run.  Figure 7 months +/- as they try to get back to normal schedule for 2024.

I took that into account.  think a normal year is closer to 400k.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:17 AM, akirby said:

Irrelevant since all those have been converted to 2023 orders and are part of the 150k.

Maybe not. Ford probably likes to gauge brand loyalty by knowing more about customers with unfilled MY22 orders

1. How many customers re-ordered a MY23 and are staying with Ford
  2. How many customers bought a new or used Ford on a dealer lot 
  3. How many customers bought another brand's new or used truck on a dealer lot
  4. How many customers placed orders with another brand.

1 hour ago, Monoman said:

Maybe not. Ford probably likes to gauge brand loyalty by knowing more about customers with unfilled MY22 orders

1. How many customers re-ordered a MY23 and are staying with Ford
  2. How many customers bought a new or used Ford on a dealer lot 
  3. How many customers bought another brand's new or used truck on a dealer lot
  4. How many customers placed orders with another brand.

That wasn’t the question.  The question was whether there were 22 orders that had decided to roll over to.23 but had not yet been entered.  But if dealers and buyers followed Ford’s process those are already entered and part of the 150k.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

That wasn’t the question.  The question was whether there were 22 orders that had decided to roll over to.23 but had not yet been entered.  But if dealers and buyers followed Ford’s process those are already entered and part of the 150k.

I misread the context.  Thanks.  

Local (WV) dealer inventory has been nil with the Super Duty for quite a while. Those found were marked up to insane levels.

Two weeks ago, while returning from a family trip to KY, I glanced over off the interstate at a Ford dealer and saw 5 new Super Duty's- three of them Tremors. I had a 21 F150 Lariat (Traded my 2018 F250 PS for it last Oct) and was contemplating ordering a 23 Tremor next year. But- I don't care for some aesthetics of the 23 and really felt I missed the boat by not getting a 22.

So- I called the dealer up and asked about mark up- and to my surprise they had removed adjustments the week before. The salesman said they were "surprised" when the transporter rolled in with so many trucks.

I was down there the next day. The Three Tremors were optioned differently. One was a 6.7 Lariat Value package (no heated seats). One was a Lariat Ultimate with the 6.7 ($85K).

And the one I wanted (and bought)- a 7.3 Lariat Ultimate. I received good trade value for the f150 and jumped on it. Build date on mine was Oct 28. One XLT truck they had was a 6.7 and the fender badges were blanks.

Had a frank conversation with the sales Manager and we were talking about EV. I will leave the conversation out of the chat here, but he pointed at the lightning sitting outside (has been there for quite a while). He has no real public interest in it and can't keep anything ICE powered on the lot for long.

And BTW- that 7.3 is incredible. Great gas option for a Super Duty!

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

GM beat Ford in HD pickup market share in September, with over 52%.  Guess they don't count orders.......

GM got some good sales in Q3 I can go back and check production but I have a feeling that KTP had some lowish production periods.

Not sayin as an excuse but if ya can’t build ‘em, ya can’t sell them