GT Charging Cord Failure

I have a 2021 Corsair GT.  The OEM charging cord has failed.  I had my vehicle plugged in and it started charging.  Sometime during the charging process the cord failed.  Fortunately, I had to go to my garage to retrieve something and noticed both the charging port light on the vehicle and the LED on the charging cord were flashing red.  I unplugged the cord from my vehicle and then unplugged with cord from the outlet.  The plug was extremely hot with the prongs being hot as branding irons.

The service manager at my dealership advised me there had been several reports of thermal events and that I should immediately stop using my spare cord as well as there could be a fire.

I contacted my dealership and was provided a new cord.  It is completely different from the OEM cord I was given.  The electrical circuit requirements are for a much higher amperage circuit and a completely different plug.  I ended up having the circuit rewired at great expense.

I have contacted Lincoln Concierge to see if they would help cover the cost for rewiring since the part that was under warranty failed and the new one required a high amperage circuit and outlet.  They are refusing any assistance and deny any culpability.

Has anyone else with a similar cord as shown in this link experienced the same overheating issue?

https://store.evsolutions.com/turbocord-240v-plug-in-ev-charger-p51.aspx?ShowReviews=True&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Smart+Shopping+-+WS&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&hsa_acc=1169429514&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_cam=1876320147&hsa_ad=&hsa_kw=&hsa_grp=&hsa_mt=&hsa_ver=3&hsa_src=x&hsa_tgt=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyracBhDoARIsACGFcS5VeQJsWiC7vXxvJvdHNemr0m461oU4STpBe1O8yzpdMDq8WDCUrkQaAnpFEALw_wcB

44 minutes ago, akirby said:

What voltage and amperage is the old vs. new?  Does this plug I to a charger or directly to the outlet?

When I was trying to buy that cord last year, it was a dual voltage 120V (Nema 5-15) or 240V (Nema 6-20). The current dual voltage cord I now see uses a Nema 14-50 for the 240V, with an adapter for a 120V 5-15 socket.

https://store.evsolutions.com/webasto-go---dual-voltage-portable-cordset-p124.aspx

I'll be curious to see if he had to upgrade to the 14-50 socket, so they had to upgrade service from 20 amp to 50 amp.

HRG

41 minutes ago, akirby said:

Unless he went from 120 to 240 there shouldn’t have been a need for new wiring.  Maybe swapping a 15 amp outlet to a 20 amp outlet if the new one is a nema 6-20 plug, but you can still use a 15 amp circuit.

According to Lincoln, the 240V 6-20 socket is required due to the system requiring a 16amp draw. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time somebody swapped to a 20-amp socket and breaker, keeping the #14 wiring,,,,,

HRG

4 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

According to Lincoln, the 240V 6-20 socket is required due to the system requiring a 16amp draw. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time somebody swapped to a 20-amp socket and breaker, keeping the #14 wiring,,,,,

HRG

I could be wrong but I think he was using a 15 amp charging cord and 15 amp outlet, but the cord couldn’t handle the heat.  So they gave him a heavier duty cord that required a 20 amp nema-6 outlet but was still only 15 amps so the 14 gauge circuit wiring was fine and didn’t have to be changed, only the outlet to accomodate the 90 degree prongs.

But if it required 240v then he has a valid complaint.

On 12/5/2022 at 8:26 PM, akirby said:

I could be wrong but I think he was using a 15 amp charging cord and 15 amp outlet, but the cord couldn’t handle the heat.  So they gave him a heavier duty cord that required a 20 amp nema-6 outlet but was still only 15 amps so the 14 gauge circuit wiring was fine and didn’t have to be changed, only the outlet to accomodate the 90 degree prongs.

But if it required 240v then he has a valid complaint.

I had a NEMA 6-20 outlet installed by a licensed electrician for a 20A 240V circuit for the Lincoln branded Turbocord that was provided with my vehicle as the OEM charginging cord.  I used the provided adapter to plug into the 240V outlet.  I never unplugged the cord from the outlet and had a cord holder installed to keep the cord out of the way when I wasn't charging.  It worked fine for almost a year.  Last month, I had my vehicle plugged in as usual.  I had to go to my garage to get something and saw the Turbocord LED was flashing red as was the charging indicator on my vehicle.  I unplugged the cord from my vehicle then unplugged the cord from the outlet.  The plug was extremely hot and the prongs were as hot as branding irons.  I know the plug will be warm during charging but this was way hotter than usual.

I contacted my dealership and they said the would replace the cord.  The new cord is referred to by Webasto as the Webasto Go.  The new cord, also branded as Lincoln, has a specification of 40A for 240V along with a NEMA 14-50 outlet.  It also has a separate attachment to plug into a 120V 20A NEMA 5-15 outlet.  The service manager at my dealership advised me in writing the original Turbocord had several reports of "thermal issues" and that it could cause a fire.  I had purchased a Webasto branded Turbocord as a travel cord. That is also now in the junkpile as I am afraid to even try it.

I had to get my licensed electrician out to install a new circuit and outlet for the new cord set-up.  Labor and materials have significantly increased since I had the original circuit installed.  The new outlet and circuit cost me $1650.  The new circuit having to be higher amperage also contributed to the increase cost.  This same circuit supports a ChargePoint Home Flex charger so I had that installed to use for my home charging.  I will use the new cord as my travel charger.

Yes, I am very salty about this.  I have filed a complaint with NHTSA over the cord since it is a fire hazard.  I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't gone to my garage.

In the meantime, I have contacted the Lincoln Concierge.  They are refusing to pay anything toward the new circuit.  The new cord was covered under the OEM warranty.  I wasn't expecting them to pay for the new circuit in its entirety but I do think in all fairness they should pay half.

Here is a link to the original cord that was provided as OEM with my vehicle:

https://www.techwebasto.com/documentation/charging-systems/evse-products/turbo-cord-240-volt-turbo-cord-dual-120-240-volt

Here is a link to the new cord I received and was told is now being provided as OEM with Grand Touring vehicles:

https://info.evsolutions.com/webasto-go

Edited by RedHoncho01

I see now and you’re right - it does require a 40 amp circuit.  Apparently with these the charger determines the amperage.  I was thinking maybe the 40 amp was a maximum but it could be used on a 20 amp circuit like the original (like an extension cord).

I don’t see Ford covering that cost though, even though you have a valid argument.  I personally would have run a 6 or 8 gauge wire for that circuit to support a future BEV.  You would have had to do it at some point.

RedHoncho,

Thank you for the clarification. I suspected that you had to make the jump up to the 40amp service to support the 14-50 socket. I find it interesting that you have a "travel" cord, as when I was pulling some circuits into my garage, even though I don't have a EV or PHEV, I installed a dedicated 14-50 circuit for any friends or family that may visit, and need to "top off".

HRG

58 minutes ago, twintornados said:

I always understood that any home charging circuit should be at the very least, a 40 amp circuit. Even electric dryers are minimum 30a.

Its a PHEV so it doesn’t take as long to charge and you can use 110V/15 amp service with the right cord, it just takes a lot longer.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I wouldn’t put in anything less than 40 amps myself to future proof it but the original 240v OEM cord was only 16 amps so he installed the minimum.

My original cord required a 20A dual pole 240V NEMA 6-20 circuit.  This was noted in the specifications I posted above and is what my licensed electrician installed.  This isn't bare minimum.  The original cord drew peak 16A at 240V or peak 12A at 120V, also listed in the specifications.

The new circuit is a dual pole 240V 60A NEMA 15-40 circuit.  I'm future proofed for any new requirements as well as having the ChargePoint Home Flex charger installed to this circuit.  The new charging cord I will use for travel has the same requirements at 120V as the original cord.

33 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

My original cord required a 20A dual pole 240V NEMA 6-20 circuit.  This was noted in the specifications I posted above and is what my licensed electrician installed.  This isn't bare minimum.  The original cord drew peak 16A at 240V or peak 12A at 120V, also listed in the specifications.

The new circuit is a dual pole 240V 60A NEMA 15-40 circuit.  I'm future proofed for any new requirements as well as having the ChargePoint Home Flex charger installed to this circuit.  The new charging cord I will use for travel has the same requirements at 120V as the original cord.

A 20 amp circuit is the bare minimum needed for charging an electric vehicle.  A full BEV really needs 40-60 amps.  You would have had to upgrade eventually.  Your electrician did you no favors and should have at least run 8 gauge wire the first time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, akirby said:

A 20 amp circuit is the bare minimum needed for charging an electric vehicle.  A full BEV really needs 40-60 amps.  You would have had to upgrade eventually.  Your electrician did you no favors and should have at least run 8 gauge wire the first time.

Once again, the specifications for the charging cord was for a 20A circuit.  It isn't my fault Lincoln provided a defective cord manufactured by Webasto nor that the replacement cord had completely different specifications.  You're implying it is my electrician's fault for not installing a 60A circuit when the reality is the cord would have failed regardless of a 20A or 60A circuit.  

As for BEVs, the charging technology will most likely change significantly in the next 5 - 10 years.  

After this happened to me, I found out Webasto had a similar cord that was recalled by NHTSA in 2018 for the same reason.  This affected numerous auto makers including Ford, GM, BMW and others.  I have filed a report with NHTSA for the issue with my cord.

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

It's too bad the dealer didn't offer you a choice of the Webasto TurboDX 240V 16amp charger, it would have used your existing wiring & 20amp breaker, and been a lot less expensive retrofit for your garage.

https://www.evsolutions.com/Upload/Product/637473364011828622.pdf

HRG

I think the one they gave him is the only OEM cord Ford offers now and this was a warranty replacement.

1 hour ago, RedHoncho01 said:

The specifications were for a 20A circuit.

You’re completely missing the point.  20 amps is not enough to charge any FUTURE BEV overnight.  So installing a 20 amp circuit specifically for car charging is wasted money because at some point you’ll need to upgrade to 40 amp or higher.  Any good electrician will recommend at least installing heavier gauge wire so that the future upgrade only requires a new breaker and outlet.  Your electrician did you no favors the first time and that’s why the upgrade was so expensive.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Of course, the possibility exists that Lincoln could offer a similar program as GM and provide the electrical upgrade at N/C, when the time comes for a full BEV.  In that case, he spent $$$ he didn't need to, at this time.

I thought Ford/Lincoln already did that on either Aviator GT, Mach-E and/or lightning?