How To Disable Hill Descent Control

bdegrand

I can't disable the Hill Descent Control on the 2022 Escape SEL. The image appears on my dash

with a vehicle in a descending angle. The manual only explains it's function. The dealer told me to bring it in and they would figure it out! I also tried the menu button...but it offers no options!

Anyone have advice...other than driving to the dealer?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bdegrand said:

I can't disable the Hill Descent Control on the 2022 Escape SEL. The image appears on my dash

with a vehicle in a descending angle. The manual only explains it's function. The dealer told me to bring it in and they would figure it out! I also tried the menu button...but it offers no options!

Anyone have advice...other than driving to the dealer?

Hi bdegrand. From the PDF version of the 2022 Escape Owners Manual, page 212:

"SWITCHING GRADE ASSIST ON
AND OFF
1. Press Settings on the touchscreen.
2. Select Driver Assistance Settings.
3. Select Grade Assist.
The grade assist lamp appears in the
instrument cluster.
Your vehicle determines the amount of
engine motoring and high-voltage battery
charging. You could notice the engine
speed increasing and decreasing to help
maintain your vehicle speed when
descending a slope."

It mentions Hybrid models, but the procedure may be the same for non-hybrids. If not exactly the same, my  guess is it would likely be in the Settings menu > Drivers Assistance of non-hybrids.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbf2530 said:

AND OFF
3. Select Grade Assist.
instrument cluster.
descending a slope."

It mentions Hybrid models, but the procedure may be the same for non-hybrids. If not exactly the same, my  guess is it would likely be in the Settings menu > Drivers Assistance of non-hybrids.

Grade Assist is for hybrids.  Hill Descent Control is for EcoBoost-equipped Escapes.  Similar but different in concept and especially in implementation/functionality.  Hybrids can rely on regenerative braking within the capacity of their batteries (i.e. longer in a PHEV), after all.  Good place to check to see if it can be disabled, regardless.

No mention of hill descent control in either the manual or the order guide for Escape.  On Maverick, it requires the FX4 off-road package.

Are you seeing that downhill vehicle icon lighting up green and feeling what appears to be the brakes applying?  In other words, is the feature actually present and functional on your Escape?  Or is it just a disused icon on the instrument cluster?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, j2sys said:

Grade Assist is for hybrids.  Hill Descent Control is for EcoBoost-equipped Escapes.  Similar but different in concept and especially in implementation/functionality.  Hybrids can rely on regenerative braking within the capacity of their batteries (i.e. longer in a PHEV), after all.  Good place to check to see if it can be disabled, regardless.

No mention of hill descent control in either the manual or the order guide for Escape.  On Maverick, it requires the FX4 off-road package.

Are you seeing that downhill vehicle icon lighting up green and feeling what appears to be the brakes applying?  In other words, is the feature actually present and functional on your Escape?  Or is it just a disused icon on the instrument cluster?

Hi j2. Yes, that was why I stated, "It mentions Hybrid models, but the procedure may be the same for non-hybrids. If not exactly the same, my  guess is it would likely be in the Settings menu > Drivers Assistance of non-hybrids."

My hopes are, for the sake of the OP, that the procedure to enable/disable may be similar. At least it would make sense for the enable/disable procedure to be similar. Either way, it was explained on pages 212 of the Owners Manual, and vicinity.

Good luck.

I have this feature on my hybrid. I am leaving it enabled for now. It's easy enough to temporarily disable it by touching the brake or the gas pedal. That ceases all assisting function. I may turn it off, because I drive the same route with steep hills, but I need the speed to get back up the next one. So slowing down is not very helpful for me.

Edited by MyGreatEscape

I don't have my '23 plug-in I ordered but I've had a few of the earlier models. Hill descend is just regenerative braking. In the other earlier models it was "L" on the shifter and you got maximum regen when you let off the accelerator in "L". Many people chose to drive in "L" to stay off the brake pads but it requires and steady foot to get neutral coasting for the best MPGe. Ford may be going to more of one foot diving so you brake with regen when you let off the gas more. I use neutral coasting all the time to increase my mpg because it's easier than a steady foot on the gas pedal to achieve. This all must be done with the computer programming modes now but that's how it works.    

16 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

AND OFF
3. Select Grade Assist.
instrument cluster.
descending a slope."

I just discovered there is NO OPTION under 'Settings/Driver Assistance' that allows me to disable either 'grade or hill descent!' The ICON symbol reflects white on the instrument cluster and turns yellow when the vehicle is in drive! The Escape manual only mentions the exact symbol when it applies to "hybrids!' I don't have a hybrid! Bummer!

29 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Can you disable traction control?  I'm wondering if that is linked.

I don't have your Escape, so I'm just guessing here.

Nope! I just tried the traction control option under Driver Assistance and it has a different symbol but didn't disable the icon on the instrument cluster! This is crazy. Thanks for offering your thoughts!

30 minutes ago, bdegrand said:

No. The symbol is on page 212 of 213! It's different than your symbol!

This one?  Regardless of which icon, Grade Assist or Hill Descent Control should only turn yellow/green when driving downhill, are you saying it's on the entire time the vehicle is in Drive, even when stopped?

image.png.42cbc26730d43b75125bec2855b17d49.png

Edited by j2sys

ALLELUIA! I FINALLY HAVE THE ANSWER! There is a small icon of the vehicle, located on the left turning signal lever , that has a button that I depressed and it disabled the icon on the instrument cluster. I must have mistakenly touched it in the past that activated it!  Wow. ( I had to call a couple dealers in Michigan to get the answer! THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR ASSISTANCE! Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bdegrand said:

ALLELUIA! I FINALLY HAVE THE ANSWER! There is a small icon of the vehicle, located on the left turning signal lever , that has a button that I depressed and it disabled the icon on the instrument cluster. I must have mistakenly touched it in the past that activated it!  Wow. ( I had to call a couple dealers in Michigan to get the answer! THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR ASSISTANCE! Merry Christmas!

Okay, so it's actually the Lane-Keeping System, not Hill Descent Control.

See pages 261-267 of your manual.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/ford-technology/driver-assist-features/how-do-i-use-the-lane-keeping-system/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, j2sys said:

Okay, so it's actually the Lane-Keeping System, not Hill Descent Control.

See pages 261-267 of your manual.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/ford-technology/driver-assist-features/how-do-i-use-the-lane-keeping-system/

Hi J2sys, I thank you for your valuable information. I passed over the "lane keeping system" pages since I was looking for the icon/symbol on my instrument cluster which displayed the angled vehicle (similar to my hybrid Cmax which uses regenerating brake system). The engine Escape Manual shows various other symbols on the instrument cluster...cruise control, high beams, fog lamps...etc....however, there is no symbol definition for the 'lane keeping system !' I noticed the entire manual, plus that attached tutorial never indicates that symbol . Maybe Ford should think about including the symbol in the future. Either way, I'm relieved and really appreciate all of you Blue Oval members input!