2024 F-150 spy shots

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Didn’t Ford patent some kind of split tailgate thing in the same vein as the RAM 60/40 swing gate/tailgate thing? 

Yes but it’s a single center section that swings open.  Gives easy bed access even with a trailer connected.

Or so I heard…?

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Yes but it’s a single center section that swings open.  Gives easy bed access even with a trailer connected.

Or so I heard…?

Do you mean like 40/20/40 type split or the whole tailgate as one section opens from the side?  I had the entire tailgate swing on my ridgeline and while it was nice for accessing stuff in the bed, it was hard to keep open on even the slightest decline when parked. Smacked me in the hip many times. 

A split tailgate just might get me to trade my 22 F-150 for a 24 

37 minutes ago, blazerdude20 said:

Do you mean like 40/20/40 type split or the whole tailgate as one section opens from the side?  I had the entire tailgate swing on my ridgeline and while it was nice for accessing stuff in the bed, it was hard to keep open on even the slightest decline when parked. Smacked me in the hip many times. 

By the looks of the patent it’s 25/50/25 split with either the whole tailgate dropping as normal, the center section dropping down on its own or the end parts swinging open or any combination of the center+end swing own 

Seems really complicated but would be super cool if they can pull it off. Let’s hope the bean counters don’t fuck it up. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, blazerdude20 said:

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

By the looks of the patent it’s 25/50/25 split with either the whole tailgate dropping as normal, the center section dropping down on its own or the end parts swinging open or any combination of the center+end swing own 

Seems really complicated but would be super cool if they can pull it off. Let’s hope the bean counters don’t fuck it up. 

The center section swings open like a door or the whole thing drops normally.  Nothing else.

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/64073/patent-filings-confirm-ford-s-upcoming-multi-function-tailgate/

15 hours ago, akirby said:

The center section swings open like a door or the whole thing drops normally.  Nothing else.

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/articles/64073/patent-filings-confirm-ford-s-upcoming-multi-function-tailgate/

At the risk of sounding like an old guy, this seems gimmicky and just more stuff to not work right when the trucks get some miles on them. But Ford usually proves me wrong when I start thinking like that, so we'll see I guess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

At the risk of sounding like an old guy, this seems gimmicky and just more stuff to not work right when the trucks get some miles on them. But Ford usually proves me wrong when I start thinking like that, so we'll see I guess.

Have you never tried to reach something in the bed with the tailgate down?  This gives you almost 2 ft more reach.  Not to mention being able to open it with a trailer hooked up.  

15 hours ago, akirby said:

Have you never tried to reach something in the bed with the tailgate down?  This gives you almost 2 ft more reach.  Not to mention being able to open it with a trailer hooked up.  

I just step to the side of the tailgate and reach in. Being able to open it with my trailers that have the tongue jack too close to open the gate when hooked up sounds like a nice perk though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

I just step to the side of the tailgate and reach in. Being able to open it with my trailers that have the tongue jack too close to open the gate when hooked up sounds like a nice perk though.

its 2022.  Solutions like stepping to the side aren’t enough lol.

being closer definitely helps with heavier objects though.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, akirby said:

Stepping to the side doesn’t help with stuff in the middle.  I mean it’s not a deal killer but I would find it very useful.

I mean, I'm not arguing against it and I see it could be useful in certain situations.. but I'm like 5'6 and I can reach anything I need to by stepping to the side and stretching a little or just closing the gait and stepping on the bumper. Seems excessive to me, but I thought that about the man step before I started using it so ... maybe it'll change my mind when I actually use it.

• Like 1