2024 Mustang HP numbers

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Well that should make somebody around here happy……

I saw the numbers this morning and I was one of those complaining about the rumored lack of increase in power, so I want to acknowledge that I stand corrected and hats off to Ford for the respectable power gain on the GT. 

Ford Media revised language now makes it clear that 2.3L EcoBoost is all new from the ground up.

“The Mustang EcoBoost coupe and convertible feature a new engine from the ground up that incorporates Ford’s new Modular Power Cylinder (MPC) engine architecture, driving prowess in design and function – and is targeted to have improved EPA-estimated fuel economy over the outgoing model year***. It uses a new Bore to Stroke ratio, Port Fuel injection coupled with direct injection, variable cam timing, integrated Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Twin Scroll turbocharging technologies to deliver the performance Mustang drivers expect. “

Targeted highway fuel economy improvement of 2 MPG is also significant; though that could be partly due to aerodynamic improvements and not just engine.

“***Outgoing base model Mustang has an EPA estimated fuel economy of 22 city/32 hwy/25 combined; 2024 Mustang base model has a targeted fuel economy of 22 city/34 hwy/26 combined.”

Edited by Rick73

27 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Wouldn’t be the first time *cough* Terminator *cough*

Yes, I was thinking perhaps GT350 hp……..or maybe it sustains the 500 hp at higher rpm.

A factory 500 hp 5.0 is still something special….

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Ford Media revised language now makes it clear that 2.3L EcoBoost is all new from the ground up.

“The Mustang EcoBoost coupe and convertible feature a new engine from the ground up that incorporates Ford’s new Modular Power Cylinder (MPC) engine architecture, driving prowess in design and function – and is targeted to have improved EPA-estimated fuel economy over the outgoing model year***. It uses a new Bore to Stroke ratio, Port Fuel injection coupled with direct injection, variable cam timing, integrated Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Twin Scroll turbocharging technologies to deliver the performance Mustang drivers expect. “

Hmmm I wonder if we will see an I5 or I6 from this architecture…though I wonder about what it could be used in, unless Ford is planning a wholesale reduction of ICE engines and narrow the lineup down to just two different displacement I4s and I6 engines to replace the nano and 3.5L V6s….

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Hmmm I wonder if we will see an I5 or I6 from this architecture…though I wonder about what it could be used in, unless Ford is planning a wholesale reduction of ICE engines and narrow the lineup down to just two different displacement I4s and I6 engines to replace the nano and 3.5L V6s….

Appears a possibility whether Ford does it or not.  Using same 84X102 bore and stroke, a 5-cylinder yields 2.8L and 6-cylinder 3.4L in displacement.  Perhaps 5-cylinder could replace Nano V6 and 6-cylinder replace Cyclone?  Engine length could be a problem, but others are doing it.  A 5-cylinder could fit in Transit since it had 3.2L diesel I-5 already.  An I-6 may even fit.

Standardizing on one common design and making them inline may save cost long-term. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Appears a possibility whether Ford does it or not.  Using same 84X102 bore and stroke, a 5-cylinder yields 2.8L and 6-cylinder 3.4L in displacement.  Perhaps 5-cylinder could replace Nano V6 and 6-cylinder replace Cyclone?  Engine length could be a problem, but others are doing it.  A 5-cylinder could fit in Transit since it had 3.2L diesel I-5 already.  An I-6 may even fit.

Standardizing on one common design and making them inline may save cost long-term. 

Looking at the next 8-10 years...Ford really doesn't have a need for a V6 anymore-no FWD applications since the Edge is going away and the only FWD platform is the C2 (Escape, Maverick, etc) and a 315HP I4 is plenty or overkill for that application.

The Ranger, Bronco, Explorer (plus lincoln variants) and F-150 could share the same power packages-2.3L as entry level and maybe an I5 as the Nano replacement and the I6 as the 3.5 like you where saying. The could also go 3 cyc route for entry level models for the Escape and Maverick. 

I'm assuming that ICE will be more or less dead in most applications by 2035 or so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broncofan7 said:

Very good numbers. I am a bit surprised that the DH did not have a few more HP to separate it more from the GT, but I certainly am not going to complain about a 500 HP 5.0.

Good job Ford.

I was surprised by this too, but I’m still happy with the situation.  

• Like 1

I'm thinking the Dark Horse name plate is a way for Ford to make another trim level that doesn't have to live up to the "heritage" connotations that the Mach 1 and GT 350/500 have.

I was thinking it might have been just a GT with a Performance Package 2 on it by a different name, but there seems to be more done to it that would seperate it more. 

• Like 1