How to Get the Most out of PHEV Drive Modes

Snacks

Hi Folks, I have a 2022 Escape PHEV, and I was wondering if anyone with knowledge of the design and fuel engineering of the PHEV drive modes could help me understand when I should be using them.  I've seen the videos on what they do, but it is not clear to me when I should be using them to get the most out of each respective feature.  

The Drive Modes are Normal (Hybrid), Electric Only, Save Charge for Later, and Use Engine to Charge Battery.  

Under what conditions did the engineers want me to be using each mode to get the most out of that setting?  Is one particularly good for highway?  I'm assuming EV only is great for being in the city, but when should I be using the other ones?

• Snacks changed the title to How to Get the Most out of PHEV Drive Modes

Not an expert but you don’t normally want to use the last two unless you need to use battery only at the end of your trip.   

Use electric only mode for short trips < 25 miles when you can recharge.  

On longer trips that can’t be completed on battery alone or if you’re not recharging immediately use hybrid mode.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Not an expert but you don’t normally want to use the last two unless you need to use battery only at the end of your trip.   

Use electric only mode for short trips < 25 miles when you can recharge.  

On longer trips that can’t be completed on battery alone or if you’re not recharging immediately use hybrid mode.

Exactly.  Imagine you’re going to take a long highway drive, then drive around town at the end.  If you start off electric only, then you’ll run out of charge by the time you get there.  However, particularly with the electric side of things, that’s more efficient at lower speeds.  That means that your plug-in range will go farther at lower speeds.  So, you’d want to run in Hybrid mode on the freeway, then switch to electric only around town.  Helps squeeze more range out of the big battery pack. 

If you’re driving within the electric only range before returning home or otherwise able to charge, feel free to use electric only the whole drive so that you again maximize the electric only range. 

Not really sure the point of saving the entire charge for later instead of acting as a hybrid.  Hybrid mode will still keep most of the charge and allow you to take advantage of coasting and help in freeway conversation. 

Unless you had done the math on using gas to charge the HVB, and you couldn’t plug in, that option doesn’t generally make any sense. 

Basically, unless you have a reason otherwise, use electric only on shorter drives.  Understand that winter will reduce that range as will high speed driving.  Hybrid comes in handy when you’re driving high speed to start and then slowing down later on, where you can again switch to electric only. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, j2sys said:

Not really sure the point of saving the entire charge for later instead of acting as a hybrid.  Hybrid mode will still keep most of the charge and allow you to take advantage of coasting and help in freeway conversation. 

In Europe they mandate PHEVs run in charge sustaining mode until they get to the city where they have to run in electric only mode.   It’s a stupid law.

Otherwise I have a hard time coming up with a plausible scenario.

• Like 2

I don't know about a law, but as a mode of operation it makes sense. You use fewer watt-hours per mile of battery in low-speed urban driving than you do in high-speed interstate driving, and you use fewer gallons per mile of gasoline in interstate driving than in urban driving.  So it makes sense to run electric in town and gas on the highway.

I've been driving a C-Max Energi since 2015, and that's the way I always use it. If I'm in town, I keep it in EV Now mode (Electric only). If I'm on the highway, I keep it in EV Later mode (Save for later), so I have battery left when I get to my destination city, at which point I switch back to EV Now. The Auto (regular hybrid) mode on the Energi is useless, since it favors battery operation until the battery gets down to the reserve level used for hybrid operation, which is exactly the same as EV Now mode. The difference is, Auto mode kicks on the gas engine under low-to-moderate acceleration, while EV Now mode engages the gas engine only under heavy acceleration.

The Energi didn't have the 'Use Engine to Charge' setting, but I've long wished it did. Then you wouldn't have to worry about finding charging ports on multi-day road trips. And a feature where it simply switched back and forth between Electric-only and Use-Engine-to-Charge any time you get on or off a freeway would be ideal... You'd be nearly assured of the most efficient operation possible, and almost never have to touch the control.

Edited by MrCurvedLimos
  • Like 1

I've been hypermiling the Ford hybrid since 2005 in the first FEH. I sold my 2013 plug-in C Max with a lifetime MPG of 912mpg at 15,000 miles to my brother to buy a 2015 C Max. The modes you use depends on your trip, driving conditions and speed. Wanting people to drive in EV in the city may be to reduce pollution in concentrated areas. It can be better to drive highway in any of the modes depending on the distance, wind speed and direction or traffic. Use your head and plan your trip based on when and where to charge. Staying in electric as much as possible is the goal. The faster you drive the more fuel or electric is required. I find 25 - 35mph the sweet spot with the gas engine but generally below 25mph with the gas engine is less efficient. I try to drive in EV below 25mph where it is the most efficient. Planning routes and driving modes is for you to take advantage of for better efficiency. I use all types of hypermiling techniques and neutral coasting without charging with the engine which is the most efficient. I take advantage of all the regen I can get when braking is required and I coast in EV as much as possible to get the best mpg. A top hypermiler can double the EPA rating on a gas, electric or a hybrid vehicle and that may include using the different modes on this vehicle. My best EV only with the '13 C Max on a single charge was 39.8 miles which is double the EPA rating. The C Max doesn't have the dial modes but I can use the shifter to switch from "D" to "N" or L for regen instead of the new dial. I have the '23 on order and can determine how to use the dial modes better when I get one. Some of those dial modes are the same as using the shifter in older models without the dial. I like to use EV only and with the EPA of 37 plug-in miles, I hope to be able to go 60 miles in EV on one charge on the '23

• Like 1