Clear Coat Peeling

Mickel218

We purchased a used 2020 Navigator BL.  We noticed the clear coat has begun to peel in areas.  Primarily around the edge of the driver side front and back doors. When the concierge came to pick up my car for service he stated he was seeing this in a lot of Lincoln’s.  That it was a common issue.  The service manager then called us and said it was not a warranty issue and it would not be repaired.  He stated the car had been in an accident and when fixed was repainted incorrectly.  There was no indication of accidents on the car fax report when we bought the car.  He said this happens often where damage has occurred so the owner will take it to a body shop to have it repaired but not reported. 
I am hesitant to believe the service manager because of what the concierge driver told me.  Also because there is peeling occurring on the passenger side around the logo.  I feel as though they are trying to avoid repairing. Is there anyone else who has noticed a peeling of their clear coat in areas of their vehicle? 

On 12/21/2022 at 3:39 PM, Mickel218 said:

We purchased a used 2020 Navigator BL.  We noticed the clear coat has begun to peel in areas.  Primarily around the edge of the driver side front and back doors. When the concierge came to pick up my car for service he stated he was seeing this in a lot of Lincoln’s.  That it was a common issue.  The service manager then called us and said it was not a warranty issue and it would not be repaired.  He stated the car had been in an accident and when fixed was repainted incorrectly.  There was no indication of accidents on the car fax report when we bought the car.  He said this happens often where damage has occurred so the owner will take it to a body shop to have it repaired but not reported. 
I am hesitant to believe the service manager because of what the concierge driver told me.  Also because there is peeling occurring on the passenger side around the logo.  I feel as though they are trying to avoid repairing. Is there anyone else who has noticed a peeling of their clear coat in areas of their vehicle? 

Hi Mickel and welcome to the Blue Oval Forums. As akirby stated, this not a "common issue". Does it happen? Yes, as with all makes and models of vehicles. But not a common issue. I would take akirby's advice and stop by a body shop to ask them for their professional opinion as to whether the vehicle was damaged and repainted in that area.

While I can't vouch for either party, the Service Manager is the professional. Drop-off/Pick-up drivers are generally retired individuals working on the side, or low person on the totem pole in the Service Department. That does not mean I am backing the Service Manager 100%, just stating that stopping by a body shop you trust, speaking to the manager or owner and having them look at your vehicle (not a desk person who only checks cars in) may be a good idea.

If that area of the vehicle was repainted, the clearcoat peeling issue would generally not be covered. Unless the work was performed by a Lincoln Certified Body Shop.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

On 12/21/2022 at 5:05 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi Mickel and welcome to the Blue Oval Forums. As akirby stated, this not a "common issue". Does it happen? Yes, as with all makes and models of vehicles. But not a common issue. I would take akirby's advice and stop by a body shop to ask them for their professional opinion as to whether the vehicle was damaged and repainted in that area.

While I can't vouch for either party, the Service Manager is the professional. Drop-off/Pick-up drivers are generally retired individuals working on the side, or low person on the totem pole in the Service Department. That does not mean I am backing the Service Manager 100%, just stating that stopping by a body shop you trust, speaking to the manager or owner and having them look at your vehicle (not a desk person who only checks cars in) may be a good idea.

If that are of the vehicle was repainted, the clearcoat peeling issue would generally not be covered. Unless the work was performed by a Lincoln Certified Body Shop.

Thanks, we have lined up a body shop to take a look and confirm.  
There is peeling occurring on the passenger side as well.  It’s around the navigator logo on the passenger side.   When we asked them about this they brushed it off and said they wouldn’t fix the paint. 

7 hours ago, Mickel218 said:

Thanks, we have lined up a body shop to take a look and confirm.  
There is peeling occurring on the passenger side as well.  It’s around the navigator logo on the passenger side.   When we asked them about this they brushed it off and said they wouldn’t fix the paint. 

Hi Mickel. Have you contacted Lincoln Concierge to file a formal report? If you have not, I would recommend you do that. Well, once once you have verified that the affected areas were not repainted. If it has been repainted in those ares, then Lincoln is not responsible. Again, unless the work was performed by a Lincoln certified shop.

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2022 at 1:55 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi Mickel. Have you contacted Lincoln Concierge to file a formal report? If you have not, I would recommend you do that. Well, once once you have verified that the affected areas were not repainted. If it has been repainted in those ares, then Lincoln is not responsible. Again, unless the work was performed by a Lincoln certified shop.

Hi bbf2530, just wanted to provide you with a quick update.  Took my Navigator down to a different Lincoln dealership.  They inspected the vehicle and agreed it was not repainted and is a warranty issue.  They even went around the entire vehicle to locate other areas where the clear coat was peeling so all would be fixed.  They also agreed to have another issue, which was dismissed by the first dealership, fixed.  I will be contacting Lincoln Concierge to file a formal report on the first dealership.  

• Like 2