Ford 2022 End of Year Sales Totals

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I still don’t see why it can’t continue to be built alongside Corsair.  Volume isn’t huge and it can even share powertrains.  I think the transverse 2.7L is dead anyway.

It would be better to be built over at Louisville than China but I bet it’s a COST thing once again. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah that’s not unique To you guys. Same shit happened to us when we went through the transition from Focus to Ranger then Bronco.

Yeah you guys were down for awhile I remember and had to go through the same lack of money because of retool and information was limited at first. 

56 minutes ago, Oacjay98 said:

It would be better to be built over at Louisville than China but I bet it’s a COST thing once again. 

Ford already said it was more expensive to import vehicles than to build them here so I think it’s more about factory space.

• Like 1

It will likely be months before we hear what they actually plan to do with the Nautilus in terms of if they will import after OAC production ends. It almost seems as though they’re still working on planning this project and what to do with Nautilus. 

22 hours ago, akirby said:

Ford already said it was more expensive to import vehicles than to build them here so I think it’s more about factory space.

For sure no vehicle import from China makes sense with 25% tariff still in place. Remember when Trump imposed the tariff and torpedoed Ford's plan to import Focus from China? Biden didn't lift those 25% tariff so that likely also ended any thought of Ford importing Mondeo, Evo, Edge or Nautilus from China. 

The biggest importer of vehicle from China was Geely which was selling Volvo S90 and XC60 from China in significant volume back then. They quickly pivoted and started building XC60 in the US. 

Say what you will about Trump's tariff with China... but it did basically to an end to any possibility of further imports of vehicles from China. And of course the Biden Admin is pretty much sticking with the same trade policy which favors EV made in North America. You can say that protecting the US auto industry is a bipartisan effort. One of the only few industrial policy that both parties agree on... hence the Chicken Tax is still on the books 50 years after the Chicken war with West Germany. I guess we'll be still talking about the Trump tax on cars 50 years from now... The other Trump tariff on Chinese imports will probably eventually go away but I don't see it getting repealed on vehicles.