Ford 2022 End of Year Sales Totals

Industrywide EV sales was 6% of US vehicle sales in 2022, up 65% from 2021.

Industrywide EV sales was 18% of California vehicle sales thru end of October, up 43% from 2021 (data projection shows CA probably will end 2022 very close to 20%)

EV sales was 4% of Ford's overall sales in 2022... that's where the growth opportunity is for Ford.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, bzcat said:

EV sales was 4% of Ford's overall sales in 2022... that's where the growth opportunity is for Ford.

Definitely. So far, Ford Model e is taking advantage of that growth opportunity. Ford's press release stated that its own BEV sales growth rate was "double the rate of growth for the overall [BEV] segment" in calendar year 2022. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PS197TT said:

I know of a municipal fleet that wanted to order five or six SDs and they were informed by Ford they are getting one.  Ford has more orders than they know what to do with.  

Where I work, in addition to the services we provide to our customers, we also provide equipment to clients who want to use our technology. We normally build on Transit 350 high-roofs, but one of our clients required a diesel, so we agreed to build their vehicle on a SuperDuty PSD. Our shop/engineering manager happened to be on the local Ford dealer's lot when they had just rolled a F-250 PSD XLT 4x4 crew cab off the delivery truck (he said the hood was still warm), so he put down a deposit on the spot. He said while they were writing up the paperwork the dealer got five calls about buying the truck...

9 hours ago, PS197TT said:

I’m not sure thats a sign.  I know of a municipal fleet that wanted to order five or six SDs and they were informed by Ford they are getting one.  Ford has more orders than they know what to do with.  

F Series sales for December are a huge improvement over October 56,000 and November 55,000.

Most of the sales increase came from better F150 availability- maybe chips for incomplete trucks?

We know that Ford holds at least 150,00 orders for SD since late October so of course, any buyers

approaching  Ford in December will have a decent wait as KTP is maxed out at 35k/mth SDs, maybe

2k/mth more from Avon Lake but even at full speed,  that’s like 4 to 5 months forward orders.

(I’m guessing here until figures come through as KTP may only be at 30k/mth SDs)

Im also curious if Ford ending government fleet discounts will affect sales although with the insane demand for the SD I’m sure Ford wouldn’t mind turning a base level SD into a high end retail sale.   

With so many SD orders, Ford can be selective about which government pricing it wants to chase,

a lot of the low cost bidding is probably not on the radar at the moment.

Edited by jpd80

38 minutes ago, PS197TT said:

Wow.  Talk about right place right time.  Apparently there still is demand for ICE vehicles. 

I was curious if the improvement in numbers was due to completing incomplete trucks in holding lots or just better availability from the start.  

At one time, ( back in Q3?) there were something like 40,000 incomplete trucks waiting for parts,

all drivable and just basically quick fit parts in holding yards and load for transport to dealers.

As for the government pricing, it’s not just the SD.  The Explorer jumped $8k for 2023.  And that’s after they cancelled a lot of 2022 orders and made agencies reorder them as 2023s.  I think Ford got rid of government discounts across the board.  It’s not just the SD. 

They didn’t get rid of them, they just can’t fill them and do retail production at the same time.

The 2022 Explorer cancellations that you mentioned were symptomatic of that due to thos

crippling parts supply problems, they ended up building a lot less of the ‘22s, but I did see

around 33,000 Explorer inventory at one stage….not sure what that was about.

Edited by jpd80

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

At one time, ( back in Q3?) there were something like 40,000 incomplete trucks waiting for parts,

all drivable and just basically quick fit parts in holding yards and load for transport to dealers.

The fact that I just saw a bunch (hundreds maybe) parked on the Dearborn test track yesterday tells me it isn’t any better. I’m constantly seeing Raptors driving around Flat Rock missing anything from headlights to fender lips. 

9 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The fact that I just saw a bunch (hundreds maybe) parked on the Dearborn test track yesterday tells me it isn’t any better. I’m constantly seeing Raptors driving around Flat Rock missing anything from headlights to fender lips. 

I was responding to the big uptick in F Series sales last month (75,000) whenOctober and November were 56k and 55k respectively.

That situation seems to be improving…

T6 parts supply chain is still lagging badly, your North American issues are symptomatic of the struggle for many different small but crucial supplies. For Asia Pacific, China’s  inability to contain covid will have consequences on about 100 parts for Ranger and Everest, more of the same crap….

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Finally got around to making charts for December:

image.thumb.png.ee87b1bbb667e801130c9edb86586d2e.png

image.thumb.png.8ba2592d141b696aea169d212ec198d3.png

Thank you so much,

that chart shows exactly how much shortages and reduced builds hurt Ford  and how GM ran away

with combined sales last year…Ram also took a beating……

• Like 1

Let’s hope Ford’s parts shortage issues are behind them, or at least minimized so numbers can go back to “normal.”

it was good to see Lincoln at least level (within ~300 units) with last year if you don’t account for last years leftover sedan sales.   But they’re still down quite a bit without sedan sales.  The SUV sales haven’t fully made up for that volume, though a bounce back of part availability may help some.   But, with new product still seemingly a couple years out (if we don’t get the Chinese Nautilus), that’s not a great place to be numbers wise.

Edited by rmc523

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Yikes.

It’s a problem for T6 in Nth America and also Thailand built T6s as well ( different suppliers)

of the 19,000 New Aussie Rangers delivered in the second half of 2022, more than 4,000 were Ranger Raptors, the queue for V6 anything Ranger/Everest is now up to  July and growing 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

There is supposed to be an official announcement from Ford later today about Bronco Wildtrack orders for 2023 possibly not happening due to shortages. 

I’m really glad I wound up getting a 22.  First I’d have been waiting for the promised black painted top that has yet to reappear, and now my trim may not even be produced.  Pretty crazy.  I wonder what parts specific to Wildtrak are holding things up?

40 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

https://fordauthority.com/2023/01/new-lincoln-inventory-at-over-90-days-supply-in-december

Ford had a more than 70 day inventory at the end of December- rebates coming back soon?

I hope not. Jim Farley said the following a couple years ago.

"We are really committed to going to an order-based system and keeping inventories at 50 to 60 days’ supply. I know we are wasting money on incentives."

70 days inventory for Ford brand and over 90 days for Lincoln is very disconcerting. Ford needs to do whatever it takes to emphasize the build to order paradigm across the board, and avoid its past bad habits of overproduction, excessive new vehicle inventory at dealerships, excessive sales incentives, and fleet dumping.

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

70 days inventory for Ford brand and over 90 days for Lincoln is very disconcerting. Ford needs to do whatever it takes to emphasize the build to order paradigm across the board, and avoid its past bad habits of overproduction, excessive new vehicle inventory at dealerships, excessive sales incentives, and fleet dumping.

What Ford doesn’t say is that inventory is not “free” as it’s mostly customer orders that haven’t been delivered as opposed to a few years ago when inventory meant mostly un allocated dealer stock….very different today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

What Ford doesn’t say is that inventory is not “free” as it’s mostly customer orders that haven’t been delivered as opposed to a few years ago when inventory meant mostly un allocated dealer stock….very different today.

Thanks for the clarification jpd80. That makes the inventory numbers less worrisome. Though customers that are still waiting for their new vehicles to be delivered must be very patient with those kinds of inventory numbers.

57 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Thanks for the clarification jpd80. That makes the inventory numbers less worrisome. Though customers that are still waiting for their new vehicles to be delivered must be very patient with those kinds of inventory numbers.

At this point it’s either incomplete vehicles waiting on parts or finished vehicles waiting on the railroads to get their shit together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

For completed vehicles at the dealer, it takes a number of days for the dealer to address the numerous factory options that were cancelled to expedited the build - this is very prevalent on trucks. My F-450 took a couple of weeks to get the spray in bed liner applied locally. In addition, you also have the dealer installed options.

When I stop by the our dealer he has lots of trucks on the lot, but all have green window stickers.

• Thanks 1