EV NEWS: Mercedes-Benz building its own global charging network

rperez817

Announced at CES today. Mercedes-Benz is building its own charging network | Digital Trends

You can’t have more electric cars without more charging stations, so Mercedes-Benz is building a global charging network covering North America, China, Europe, and other major markets to support its goal of going all-electric by the end of the decade where market conditions allow.

Announced at CES 2023, the network should be in place by the end of the decade in line with Mercedes’ electrification goal. It’s a bold move by the automaker, which has mostly relied on third-party charging networks until now.

mercedes-charging-station-overview.jpg

• 10 months later...

First Mercedes-Benz EV charging hub opened yesterday in the Atlanta area, adjacent to MBUSA HQ in Sandy Springs. Mercedes-Benz opens first US charging hub with ChargePoint piles (electrek.co)

Mercedes-charging-hub-hero.jpg

Highlights.

• The hub comes equipped with a solar canopy, enabling carbon-neutral energy usage, with fifteen-foot intelligent indicators that easily display whether a pile is available and a charging lounge complete with vending, restrooms, and places to relax
  • Mercedes EV owners can take advantage of special benefits, including automatic charger reservations through the EQ vehicle’s native navigation, plus Plug & Charge capabilities using the Mercedes me Charge app – allowing drivers to simply plug-in and walk away without having to tap a card
  • Mercedes-Benz says it is offering current EQ owners six months of complimentary charging at its hubs, while drivers of 2024 model year EQ EVs will receive two years of unlimited free charging.
  • Plans are in place for additional hubs at Buc-ee’s travel centers in Texas, Florida, Alabama, and Georgia before year’s end, followed by further expansion through the convenience stores and Simon malls through 2024 with the help of MN8 Energy and ChargePoint

On 11/19/2023 at 5:54 AM, twintornados said:

It begs the question, is it only for Mercedes vehicles or can ANY EV get charged up there? Say I am driving by in my hypothetical plebeian Ford Mustang Mach E and I need to charge up....can I?

from the article:

While the new hub network opens its piles to all EVs from day one

So the charging point is called a pile? ooofff... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

So the charging point is called a pile?

That's correct silvrsvt, but that term is more common in Europe and Asia compared to the Americas. In the U.S., synonyms for charging pile include electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE), charging stations, recharging points, and charging points.