EV NEWS: Ram Revolution BEV pickup truck concept

rperez817

Stellantis Media - Ram 1500 Revolution Battery-electric Vehicle (BEV) Concept Unveiled at CES 2023 (stellantisnorthamerica.com)

Highlights.

• Built on new STLA Frame body-on-frame architecture designed specifically for full-size electric vehicles, the concept incorporates the battery pack efficiently with full underbody aero panels and active diffuser
  • Doors have been reimagined in a grand saloon-style opening that showcases a cavernous occupant space without a B-pillar
  • New interior layout offers even more flexibility with room to configure workspace with a removeable center console with fold-flat surface
  • Powered mid-gate features mounted jump seats with a removable lower section that allows for multiple flexible seating configurations and enables a pass-through (and into the frunk) that can fit objects up to 18-ft. long
  • Powered by two electric drive modules (EDMs), the concept features all-wheel-drive capability
  • Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept can add up to 100 miles of range in approximately 10 minutes with 800-volt DC fast charging at up to 350 kW
  • Ram 1500 Revolution BEV Concept features four-wheel steering with up to 15 degrees of articulation for greater vehicle maneuverability
  • Production model expected in 2024

ram-1500-revolution-bev-concept-3-167277

ram-1500-revolution-bev-concept-5-167277

ram-1500-revolution-bev-concept-39-16727

ram-1500-revolution-bev-concept-41-16727

• Haha 1

This reminds me of what a concept truck from the 90’s might look like. The way they designed the bed makes it look way too long. The front end is too round and doesn’t look aggressive. The interior is ok. Looks a bit like a fancier version of the new ranger interior. 

Im not a fan of the styling direction of this or the Silverado ev. I’m hoping the next Gen lightning doesn’t follow suit.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Im not a fan of the styling direction of this or the Silverado ev. I’m hoping the next Gen lightning doesn’t follow suit.

Yes, I concur. These recent EV trucks, aside from the Lightning, have strayed from why trucks have been the best selling vehicles for decades.  If the Chevy Avalanche was such a brilliant concept, why didn’t it turn into the #1 selling truck in the land.  Oh wait,  that’s right,  it was canceled. Why these guys are reinventing this is beyond me.   

I too, hope Ford doesn’t follow down this path.  They typically don’t follow, so I’m reasonably optimistic.  

9 hours ago, tbone said:

Yes, I concur. These recent EV trucks, aside from the Lightning, have strayed from why trucks have been the best selling vehicles for decades.  If the Chevy Avalanche was such a brilliant concept, why didn’t it turn into the #1 selling truck in the land.  Oh wait,  that’s right,  it was canceled. Why these guys are reinventing this is beyond me.   

I too, hope Ford doesn’t follow down this path.  They typically don’t follow, so I’m reasonably optimistic.  

Agree with both of you; I'll take it a step further and say this and the Avala/rado styling tend to legitimize the styling of the Honda truck pretender - and that's a bad thing in my book. 

I can envision an scenario in which Ford offer both a 'traditional' cab and bed type EV truck and also something along the lines of the Ram and Chevy to cover both spectrums market wise. I suppose there is potentially a reset occurring with regard to truck styling, but I'm not convinced for the reasons you both have noted (sales failures for Chevy and Honda with this styling). I hope Ford make good decisions in the protection of 'the Franchise'.

Edited by Harley Lover

It’s hard for me to read much into this concept because so much of it is just that - concept stuff, so it’s hard for me to interpret how good it’ll actually be because it seems like most of the features show will be stripped off for a production model.

32 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Gen2 Lightning and second TN BEV should be out at the same time as well, right?

The P800 Gen2 Lightning will be out in Summer of 2025 according to this and Ranger/Bronco BEV won't be out till 2029.

2012933434_fordfuture.png.9b62ab77e2001f1df4680a3d74891e23.png

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love it, looks a little long but maybe it's more proportional in person. Prob the only time you could call a ram beautiful. Hope the next gen lighting with it's "Bold and controversial" design as described by Farley looks similar to this. 

ford-bronco-ev-ranger-ev-confirmed-along-with-next-generation-ev-platforms_3.jpg

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Like 1

Update from Car and Driver. Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares confirmed there will be a version of Ram 1500 EV that has a range extender. Ram 1500 EV Will Offer a Range Extender Gas Engine, CEO Confirms (caranddriver.com)

UPDATE 1/5/23: Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares confirmed the range-extender powertrain option for the upcoming Ram 1500 EV during a roundtable interview at CES 2023. While the Ram Revolution BEV concept is battery-powered EV, there will also be a version of this pickup offered with a gasoline engine that can recharge the battery.

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Update from Car and Driver. Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares confirmed there will be a version of Ram 1500 EV that has a range extender. Ram 1500 EV Will Offer a Range Extender Gas Engine, CEO Confirms (caranddriver.com)

So PHEV? Or more Chevrolet Volt style where the motor runs a generator that charges the BEV portion and is not directly connected to the drivetrain.

On 1/6/2023 at 7:12 PM, DeluxeStang said:

Love it, looks a little long but maybe it's more proportional in person. Prob the only time you could call a ram beautiful. Hope the next gen lighting with it's "Bold and controversial" design as described by Farley looks similar to this. 

ford-bronco-ev-ranger-ev-confirmed-along-with-next-generation-ev-platforms_3.jpg

God forbid!

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

So PHEV? Or more Chevrolet Volt style where the motor runs a generator that charges the BEV portion and is not directly connected to the drivetrain.

More like a BMW i3. The gas motor would be optimized to run a generator and isn't connected at all to the wheels. The current Volt is a standard PHEV with a direct mechanical linkage. Even the gen 1 volt had a clutch pack that could lock up to provide wheel torque in high speed driving. A range extender though can't do anything more than charge the battery and usually at a level of charge below what the drive motor power draw is.

3 hours ago, tbone said:

God forbid!

Why? What's wrong with making a truck look sportier and more visually appealing while also making it more practical? Especially if Ford continues to sell a more conventional looking f-150 on the side? I mean come on, this ram is radical looking for sure. But it's one of the best looking trucks I've ever seen, and I hate a lot of FCA designs like the wrangler and challenger. 

1000x-1.jpg

download.webp

Edited by DeluxeStang

13 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Why? What's wrong with making a truck look sportier and more visually appealing while also making it more practical? Especially if Ford continues to sell a more conventional looking f-150 on the side? I mean come on, this ram is radical looking for sure. But it's one of the best looking trucks I've ever seen, and I hate a lot of FCA designs like the wrangler and challenger. 

1000x-1.jpg

download.webp

Have you looked at sales statistics for trucks?   The trucks from Ford, GM, Ram, Toyota, etc., sell because they are the proper form factor for trucks. Truck derivatives (ie. Ridgeline, Avalanche, etc.), which is how I would define this Ram, have made little to no sales headway when compared to standard truck forms.  IMO, one of the reasons the Lightning has been desirable to people, aside from the fact that it is an EV, is because it isn’t a cartoonish crew cab El Camino.   

I have driven trucks all my life, and will continue to so, but this Ram would not be on my shopping list, and it has nothing to do with the fact that it is a Ram, because I like the current Ram lineup. 

If they are looking for mass adoption of EV trucks, l wouldn’t deviate too far from the proper truck style recipe.  They already have real or perceived shortcomings to overcome.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tbone said:

Have you looked at sales statistics for trucks?   The trucks from Ford, GM, Ram, Toyota, etc., sell because they are the proper form factor for trucks. Truck derivatives (ie. Ridgeline, Avalanche, etc.), which is how I would define this Ram, have made little to no sales headway when compared to standard truck forms.  IMO, one of the reasons the Lightning has been desirable to people, aside from the fact that it is an EV, is because it isn’t a cartoonish crew cab El Camino.   

I have driven trucks all my life, and will continue to so, but this Ram would not be on my shopping list, and it has nothing to do with the fact that it is a Ram, because I like the current Ram lineup. 

If they are looking for mass adoption of EV trucks, l wouldn’t deviate too far from the proper truck style recipe.  They already have real or perceived shortcomings to overcome.   

They're trying too hard to be different when it isn’t at all necessary as Lightning has shown.

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I agree with you on some things. Personally, if I was the head of an automotive brand, I would make the first gen of electric trucks very conservative. It's hard enough to sell truck buyers, who are traditionally very old school on an electric truck. So you don't want to get too crazy with the styling and make it an even harder sale. Then I'd go crazy, and take more risks with future gens once people were already on board with evs. 

There are four points which you seem to be overlooking in your analysis.

1. That Ram is still very conventional in it's form, it still looks like a truck, it's not like the cybertruck or anything where it's super radical. 

2. Trucks are all about image now. Gone are the days where trucks were just basic tools now. Trucks are driven by everyone, and in virtually every setting. It's time for their styling to become more refined and elegant, and less primitive. Especially if brands are going to expect consumers to drop 100 grand on top trims, it better look beautiful and not look like some piece of farm equipment.

3. The truck market as you highlighted, is massive. Traditionally speaking, as vehicle segments increase in size, brands can afford to offer a wider array of styles and offerings to appease a wider array of buyers. Hell, they can't afford not to.

There's a genuine argument that the avalanche and other similar vehicles failed, because the market was smaller, there was significantly less demand for all trucks a decade or two ago. Let alone radical, forward thinking trucks. 

4. Ties into point number 2, but many truck buyers coming into the segment aren't traditional truck buyers. They admire the practicality that a truck offers, but want something different than what's been done before.

Case in point, my family. We HATE most trucks, yet there's a Maverick hybrid in our garage right now. Why? Because it's the best truck on sale because it did something different. It's a truck that prioritized fuel economy, and ease of livability in a world where most trucks are gas guzzling hulking monstrosities. It was genius, look at what all your competitors are doing, and do the opposite. Zig where others zag is the best approach when trying to stick out in a crowded market. 

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I agree with you on some things. Personally, if I was the head of an automotive brand, I would make the first gen of electric trucks very conservative. It's hard enough to sell truck buyers, who are traditionally very old school on an electric truck. So you don't want to get too crazy with the styling and make it an even harder sale. Then I'd go crazy, and take more risks with future gens once people were already on board with evs. 

1. That Ram is still very conventional in it's form, it still looks like a truck, it's not like the cybertruck or anything where it's super radical. 

2. Trucks are all about image now. Gone are the days where trucks were just basic tools now. Trucks are driven by everyone, and in virtually every setting. It's time for their styling to become more refined and elegant, and less primitive. Especially if brands are going to expect consumers to drop 100 grand on top trims, it better look beautiful and not look like some piece of farm equipment.

3. The truck market as you highlighted, is massive. Traditionally speaking, as vehicle segments increase in size, brands can afford to offer a wider array of styles and offerings to appease a wider array of buyers. Hell, they can't afford not to.

There's a genuine argument that the avalanche and other similar vehicles failed, because the market was smaller, there was significantly less demand for all trucks a decade or two ago. Let alone radical, forward thinking trucks. 

4. Ties into point number 2, but many truck buyers coming into the segment aren't traditional truck buyers. They admire the practicality that a truck offers, but want something different than what's been done before.

Case in point, my family. We HATE most trucks, yet there's a Maverick hybrid in our garage right now. Why? Because it's the best truck on sale because it did something different. It's a truck that prioritized fuel economy, and ease of livability in a world where most trucks are gas guzzling hulking monstrosities. It was genius, look at what all your competitors are doing, and do the opposite. Zig where others zag is the best approach when trying to stick out in a crowded market. 

I think it's a good looking truck, but I suspect the production version will be much more tame.  

This reminds me of 1994.  Back then, Dodge was hopelessly behind both Ford and GM in full-sized pickups.  They needed something to grab people's attention and gambled on the-then radical 1994 RAM.  Of course it was a big hit.  Fast forward to 2023, and Ram is late to the BEV party, so their Hail Mary pass is the Ram Revolution.  Not sure their gamble will work this time.

5 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Point 1: I concede it is shaped like a truck, albeit one with odd proportions that are not particularly appealing to me.  

Point 2: You say It's time for truck styling to become more refined and elegant, and less primitive.  That’s your opinion, which seems inconsistent with the fact the best selling truck nameplate is about as conservatively styled truck you can get.  

Point 3: I don’t disagree that the manufacturers could offer some additional truck type vehicles, such as this Ram, however these should be lifestyle vehicles and not their mainstream truck offering that gets the most production capacity.  

Regarding your argument, the Avalanche ran from 2002 to 2013, as one example.  These are just Ford truck statistics.  As you can see they were pretty substantial.  Add the GM siblings and Dodge /Ram into the mix, and the truck market was very large, not small.  The Great Recession was even thrown in that mix.  

Ford
F-series
2021 726.004
2020 787.422
2019 896.526
2018 909.330
2017 896.764
2016 820.799
2015 780.354
2014 753.851
2013 763.402
2012 645.316
2011 584.917
2010 528.349
2009 413.625
2008 515.513
2007 690.589
2006 796.039
2005 901.463
2004 939.511
2003 845.586
2002 813.701

Point 4: I actually think you made my point for me. Do you think your volume seller should be directed at non-traditional truck buyers, who may enter the truck market and then disappear a few years later?

You stated your family HATEs most trucks, yet there's a Maverick in your garage.  While I consider the Maverick a truck, and I think it’s a great vehicle, it’s styling is non-traditional truck with the unibody construction, and is not being marketed to the F150 on up buyer.  Maybe towards Ranger, but I have nothing to support that.  

I have no issue with a two pronged truck approach but who do you think Ford should target their volume leader style-wise?  You, the first time truck buyer, or me, a multi-time repeat buyer of Ford trucks?

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I dunno I find the styling to be bland overall...there really isn't anything interesting about it...at least the Silverado EV looks better than the ICE one. 

that’s not a hard bar to overcome.

Silverado designers are only given a T-square to work with.

I’m surprised GM hasn’t figured out a way to make the wheels/tires square yet.

Edited by rmc523
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, tbone said:

Point 1: I concede it is shaped like a truck, albeit one with odd proportions that are not particularly appealing to me.  

Point 2: You say It's time for truck styling to become more refined and elegant, and less primitive.  That’s your opinion, which seems inconsistent with the fact the best selling truck nameplate is about as conservatively styled truck you can get.  

Point 3: I don’t disagree that the manufacturers could offer some additional truck type vehicles, such as this Ram, however these should be lifestyle vehicles and not their mainstream truck offering that gets the most production capacity.  

Regarding your argument, the Avalanche ran from 2002 to 2013, as one example.  These are just Ford truck statistics.  As you can see they were pretty substantial.  Add the GM siblings and Dodge /Ram into the mix, and the truck market was very large, not small.  The Great Recession was even thrown in that mix.  

Ford
F-series
2021 726.004
2020 787.422
2019 896.526
2018 909.330
2017 896.764
2016 820.799
2015 780.354
2014 753.851
2013 763.402
2012 645.316
2011 584.917
2010 528.349
2009 413.625
2008 515.513
2007 690.589
2006 796.039
2005 901.463
2004 939.511
2003 845.586
2002 813.701

Point 4: I actually think you made my point for me. Do you think your volume seller should be directed at non-traditional truck buyers, who may enter the truck market and then disappear a few years later?

You stated your family HATEs most trucks, yet there's a Maverick in your garage.  While I consider the Maverick a truck, and I think it’s a great vehicle, it’s styling is non-traditional truck with the unibody construction, and is not being marketed to the F150 on up buyer.  Maybe towards Ranger, but I have nothing to support that.  

I have no issue with a two pronged truck approach but who do you think Ford should target their volume leader style-wise?  You, the first time truck buyer, or me, a multi-time repeat buyer of Ford trucks?

The issue is car companies can't win. If they make a EV too radical, it divides people and they oppose it. If they make it too similar, then people talk about how they didn't take things far enough. 

The smart approach, imo, is to release a more traditional truck to appeal to some consumers, and a more radical truck to push the limits of design and tech. It seems like that's what ford is planning to do. 

Kinda like how the genius of the escape/bronco sport was appealing to radically different buyers within the same segment by offering multiple types of vehicles.