Level 1 charger

KevR

Looking at buying a level 1 charger from amazon as a spare to replace OEM charger. I only have a 15 amp circuit available which is fine, thats what I have used with the OEM without issues. Not looking to upgrade wiring to accomadate Level 2. Info on websites is a little confusing on what the max current of the device and the actual draw of the device. My Question is! Does anyone know if the 2022 Escape PHEV On- board charger module  limit the current to 12 amps when using a 15 amp level 1 charger?  

The 15A rating on the circuit is the peak load, not a continuous load rating, per electrical code.  There's what's referred to as the 80% rule, where continuous loads can only draw 80% of the rated current for that line.  Charging an EV for hours at a time is a continuous load.  So on a 15A circuit, your Escape PHEV can use 12A continuously for charging.  The other 20% (3A) is essentially left as a safety buffer.

For example, here's a Clipper Creek unit that supports 120V 15A, but charging is actually done at 12A.

https://store.clippercreek.com/level1/pcs-15-portable-ev-charging-station

Edited by j2sys
  • Like 1