Widening Tires

chodaddy15

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Tire composition and type will make more of a difference.  OEMs are probably Low Rolling Resistance.

Yep.

The OEM tires on my 22 Escape SEL FHEV (non-plug hybrid) are Michelin Primacy A/S, which they do market as a Low Rolling Resistance tire.  From a quick scan of reviews, it looks like an Escape PHEV would likely have the same.  23 Escape PHEV comes standard with the same 18" wheels that I have, as well.

That said, what are you looking to gain from going to a wider tire?

image.png.4b5c88f1bf9ca45897841e4944e48a2a.png

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-primacy-all-season

29 minutes ago, j2sys said:

Yep.

The OEM tires on my 22 Escape SEL FHEV (non-plug hybrid) are Michelin Primacy A/S, which they do market as a Low Rolling Resistance tire.  From a quick scan of reviews, it looks like an Escape PHEV would likely have the same.  23 Escape PHEV comes standard with the same 18" wheels that I have, as well.

That said, what are you looking to gain from going to a wider tire?

image.png.4b5c88f1bf9ca45897841e4944e48a2a.png

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tires/michelin-primacy-all-season

A reviewer stated that due to the increased weight, the car struggles on turns and suggested wider tires like the rav 4 prime. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2023 at 1:52 PM, chodaddy15 said:

A reviewer stated that due to the increased weight, the car struggles on turns and suggested wider tires like the rav 4 prime. Thoughts?

It is the combine weight of both the rim and the tire that make the most of fuel efficiency. The lighter they are the less energy it takes to accelerate. Two pounds heavier or lighter per tire can make a big difference in mpg or electric distance. I recommend staying with OEM for both handling and mpg. The engineers at Ford know what works best most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...