2024 US Ranger Without Camo Spotted

2 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Another thing that annoys me about his articles just as much as the inaccuracies is the fact that 90% of the information is just a rehash of earlier articles. Most of what's new could be stated in one or two sentences, but no, instead the reader gets inundated with links to old articles and what amounts to nothing but chest pounding about stuff we've already seen, some of which is total BS.

One glaring example of the BS is in an admittedly old article about the 3.0L EB where they state:

"The engine is heavily based on the EcoBoost 2.7L Nano, with cylinder bore increased from 83 mm to 85.3 mm. The engine’s piston stroke was also lengthened by 3.0 mm (for a total of 86 mm). Ford also replaced the Nano’s compacted-graphite iron block design for a cast aluminum construction."

That last part is simply not true and that is easily proven by looking at the Bronco engine spec chart on Ford's own website which I included a screen shot of in an earlier response.

Again, I get it that it's an old article but that shouldn't be an excuse for not correcting an obvious error that anyone who does a search for info on the 3.0L EB can still find a link to. And because the article has no date (or author's name) that I could see, most readers will probably assume that it is current. Hell, it's so old that it doesn't even list the Bronco Raptor as a vehicle that uses that engine, which is probably a good thing. ?

https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-motor-company-engines/ford-ecoboost-family/ford-3-0l-ecoboost-engine/

This seems to be pretty common in Ford Authority articles.  I take what they are saying with a grain of salt, but they get some things right so it’s still worth a read usually. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 4:39 PM, pffan1990 said:

Just wanted to let you know I read all your above post. So if it disappears, I have already read it. I think it's a server glitch as it sometimes happens to me too. Maybe try using word processor to type out thoughts and then copy-paste here. I use TextEdit plain-text word processor on my iMac to type out the long comments and then paste here. Sometimes while adding more, I copy/paste back to TextEdit and save. It happens to me too and I think it's due to going over a certain amount of characters. But I'll be sending you a message in your inbox later where we can continue our convo. I don't want to derail this thread. But I appreciate your response. :)

---

Back on topic: I really do like the new 2024 Ranger based on what has been shown so far. I like the subtle Maverick styling on the front.

Thanks a million, haven't logged in for a bit, until I saw emails from BOF on your correspondence from a month ago. Sorry.

Really helpful advice here, thanks.

As for the Ranger, I am bit puzzled as to why Ford is keeping this so quiet.

Almost every other Ford is revealed 6 months before launch at least, such as the F-150 in June 2020 against December 2020 launch.

Mustang will be 9 months from reveal to launch. I don't see any risk of competitor benchmarking being an issue, so a bit puzzled by this.

Edited by JX1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, JX1 said:

As for the Ranger, I am bit puzzled as to why Ford is keeping this so quiet.

Almost every other Ford is revealed 6 months before launch at least, such as the F-150 in June 2020 against December 2020 launch.

Mustang will be 9 months from reveal to launch. I don't see any risk of competitor benchmarking being an issue, so a bit puzzled by this.

Maybe Ford is doing quiet launches as of late after how spectacularly bad the Bronco launch went and they are dealing with supply chain issues that might back up production further-just see what happened with the Escape. 

Hopefully is part of the focus of fixing QC they’ve been having as of late. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, akirby said:

At this point there is no benefit to announcing a new product early, only downsides if launch is delayed.

Fairly certain Ford just doesn't want Toyota to know the final specs for US Ranger so they have less time to react and tweak the new Tacoma. 

On 3/3/2023 at 2:35 PM, bzcat said:

Fairly certain Ford just doesn't want Toyota to know the final specs for US Ranger so they have less time to react and tweak the new Tacoma. 

LOL, that's ridiculous. Toyota is already about to announce the 2024 Tacoma and are finishing up testing already. It's already nearing pilot phases, according to insiders.

There's a limit to benchmarking when lead times factor in and Ford already got hurt when the P703 was first leaked in early 2019.

Most of everything there is to know about this truck, is already out there. TT builds are probably the issue.

On 3/3/2023 at 5:44 AM, silvrsvt said:

Maybe Ford is doing quiet launches as of late after how spectacularly bad the Bronco launch went and they are dealing with supply chain issues that might back up production further-just see what happened with the Escape. 

Hopefully is part of the focus of fixing QC they’ve been having as of late. 

Now, that makes sense, somewhat. I figure you saw the delay to August 7th Job 1? It's marginally understandable, but I'm quite bothered by how USA will barely get a truck they've been seeing in media for elsewhere for 2 years (November 2021 reveal).

It was one thing with 3rd MCA to P375 in 2018-19 finally arriving in USA, which didn't look much different than the first MCA (ROW) in late 2015. But I had expected Ford would reduce this gap for the next generation.

What I see here is, Ford wanted to get enough years in tooling out of the P375N from late 2018 to early 2023, partly I imagine to give space to launch the Bronco at MAP, which was originally targeted for MY2021 in late 2020.

As well as get some ROI to convert MAP and capital investment for revised T6 for P375N.

What has happened now as usual is unforeseen delays creeping in and taking P703N launch targets hostage. So, now they are struggling to keep up with the delay causes, without letting it spiral out of control too much.

If they did not get too comfortable in the first place during planning and try to squeeze money out of an eleventh hour decision in 2015 to bring over the P375(N), more than 7 years after initial launch, by stretching it's lifecycle longer than ROW, there would be more room to deal with these delays.

Like let's say, targeting USDM Ranger P703N to be 6 months behind global Ranger P703 in late 2022 versus nearly 18 months now. It can be done and has been done before between global markets, it's not unheard of.

At this rate, the truck will not be in North American showrooms until early 2024, if another delay happens again. I find that inexcusable, considering when the truck was actually designed.

I already see some public complaints regarding datedness, even though I love the new truck and consider it an improvement.

Ford set out to design this truck back in 2016 and 99% finished that design work in late 2018-early 2019, yet find it more than acceptable to launch that same exact design effort in its domestic market, almost 5 years after pencils down? It's not being done right for USDM at least on that front.

It's bad enough that the Maverick was designed parallel to this 4-5 years ago, yet you get ignoramuses calling this an "ugly oversized Maverick" or other Maverick related criticisms. Almost similar to Bronco Sport (late 2020) vs Bronco Summer 2021 dilemma.

What many of those ignorant trolls don't realize, is that the inspiration was the 1982 Ranger for both the P758 Maverick and P703 Ranger.

To them anyway, it doesn't matter. All they see is a new Ranger-- especially many current generation owners--which looks like a "cheaper, soft" Maverick.

When Ford, due to the pandemic, delayed the P702 F-150 a few months, it at worst elapsed 37 months since styling completion in 2017 and showrooms launch in December 2020. Ford aimed to be lean with that, but ended up standard lead time cycles. For the 2024 Ranger, it's almost 60 months now. That's highly irregular and worse than 1980s lead times.

Ford basically tried to keep the current Ranger running longer than it needs to and now that they need to get to market sooner, they can't help all these delays. Toyota made the same mistake with the Tacoma and some other models, by keeping them on the vine too long.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JX1 said:

To them anyway, it doesn't matter. All they see is a new Ranger-- especially many current generation owners--which looks like a "cheaper, soft" Maverick.

IMO the weakest thing of the current Ranger is its styling-its influenced too much by Ford sedans vs US trucks, which is understandable due to it being designed for ROW markets for its whole life. 

The front end of the new Ranger is a huge improvement-not to mention the front end treatment is similar to F-150 and Super duty designs that people might be bitching about. 

undefined

I think the new ranger front end is a bit boring compared to the other new midsizers coming out (I know the Toyota below is a concept but it looks pretty close to the CAD images of the new Tacoma). I’d rank the ranger last out of these if only considering exterior design. The ranger seems to play it safe while all the others went with a more aggressive style.

Its interior is nicer than the frontier for sure, but the Chevy and gmc are better inside. The one advantage the ranger has on the interior is the vertical screen, which I prefer over horizontal.

Toyota-Truck-EV.jpgGAZgmds1.jpg&v=deg01&std=true&country=US2023-Chevrolet-Colorado-1.jpgfrontier-showroom.jpgnextgenranger-wildtrak-front-3qtr-static

1 hour ago, akirby said:

To me and most Ford fans the Ranger front end is as good or better than the competition.  Flashy is not a good long term strategy.

what is your definition of flashy? I would not consider a single one of these trucks flashy. The one thing they all have in common besides the ranger is the “off road” look every manufacturer is putting on every vehicle. Even the wildtrak looks tame compared to the others. Raptor is the only ranger that actually looks good. I get it, you are a function over form guy. Nothing wrong with that. I say a six foot bed on a ranger looks ridiculous, but you love it because you will use it. I have no need for it and would prefer to have a good looking vehicle if I’m going to pay 40-60k for it.

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

what is your definition of flashy? I would not consider a single one of these trucks flashy. The one thing they all have in common besides the ranger is the “off road” look every manufacturer is putting on every vehicle. Even the wildtrak looks tame compared to the others. Raptor is the only ranger that actually looks good. I get it, you are a function over form guy. Nothing wrong with that. I say a six foot bed on a ranger looks ridiculous, but you love it because you will use it. I have no need for it and would prefer to have a good looking vehicle if I’m going to pay 40-60k for it.

The new Tacoma has that “edgy” look you seem to prefer.  It’s not that I prefer form I just like a more traditional truck style.  Ranger has the same styling as the F150 - you know, the best selling pickup for the last 40 something years.  Current one is too rounded but the new one looks good to me.  Styling is a personal preference but I think more people will like the new styling than not.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I think the new ranger front end is a bit boring compared to the other new midsizers coming out (I know the Toyota below is a concept but it looks pretty close to the CAD images of the new Tacoma). I’d rank the ranger last out of these if only considering exterior design. The ranger seems to play it safe while all the others went with a more aggressive style.

Its interior is nicer than the frontier for sure, but the Chevy and gmc are better inside. The one advantage the ranger has on the interior is the vertical screen, which I prefer over horizontal.

Toyota-Truck-EV.jpgGAZgmds1.jpg&v=deg01&std=true&country=US2023-Chevrolet-Colorado-1.jpgfrontier-showroom.jpgnextgenranger-wildtrak-front-3qtr-static

I think the US won't get the "Wildtrak" style front bumper, but it will get the "Sport" style front bumper on the high-trim Lariat FX4 which I think looks better.
Ford-Ranger-Sport-Bi-Turbo-HERO-16x9-1.jBy the way, the new Ranger looks better in the metal.

PS The styling of the Toyota EV pickup concept and the leaked 2024 Tacoma patent drawings appear to be that of the rugged TRD Pro trim (I wonder if it will be renamed GR Sport like the rugged Hilux).  

Edited by AM222

Look at F150.  They changed the styling for 2015 and I did not like the grille at all.  In 2018 they changed the grille and I think it’s the best looking F150 front end ever.  But the buying public did t seem to care either way.

To me the new Ranger styling (and Maverick) falls right into line with what’s made F series successful.  Not everybody will personally like every model and every iteration.

F series.     US sales.      Canada

2014 753,851[77] 126,277[78]  
2015 780,354[79] 118,837  
2016 820,799[80] 145,409[81]  
2017 896,764 155,290  
2018 909,330 145,694 15,096
2019 896,526 145,064 14,459
  • Like 1

Should be interesting to see if the non-Raptor models of the 2024 Ranger have a V6 option. My guess is they will not and that is a bit disappointing but not surprising especially given the fact that GM has now gone down the same 4 cyl turbo only path with their mid-sizers although they do offer multiple tuning levels for their 2.7L. I will also be curious to see if Ford takes a similar approach with the 2.3L EB by offering different levels of tune depending on which model it is used in.

We already know the T6 chassis was modified to be able to fit the Nano V6's but so far we have only seen that taken advantage of in the Bronco and Ranger Raptor.

I haven't paid much attention to the GM mid-size lineup but after doing a little research it sure seems as though Ford has pretty much followed their script with the Ranger since it's reintroduction to the NA market in 2019 with the obvious exception of engine choices. Although in a turnabout of sorts GM does now seem to be taking a similar approach to Ford's when it comes to a single engine choice. It's also interesting to note that GM seems to have no issue with using the same powerplants in their mid-size and full-size trucks which is something Ford has never done with the Ranger so far.

• 2 weeks later...

This is interesting. My apologies if this has already been covered but I was watching a youtube video about the 2024 Ranger Raptor where the poster was showing a screen shot and photos from a thread on ranger6g where a member of the forum had gotten a ride in a test truck and then posted his review of it in the thread on ranger6g. The thread is obviously not there anymore but there was one little tidbit that really caught my attention. At the 1:40 mark of the video there is the screen shot from the ranger6g post and the second bullet point states that there was an underhood sticker that indicated that the non-Raptor versions would have available both the 2.3 AND 2.7 EBs. And then at the 8:20 mark of the video there is even a photo of the sticker. Now the other interesting thing about that sticker is that it shows all three engines as being GTDI. That would be different from the Bronco since it gets the PFDI version of the 2.7 so that right there makes me think this is legit and not just a Bronco spec sticker that was placed there by mistake.  ?

• Like 3

So about that Bronco PFDI vs Ranger GTDI difference regarding the 2.7L, anyone know what that's all about? Is it emissions related? In other words, are the smog regs different for SUVs vs trucks? I guess that still wouldn't explain why the 3.0L in the Bronco Raptor is only GTDI. Maybe it is just a cost cutting thing. Oh well, I guess if anyone is worried about carbon buildup on the backside of the intake valves they can always add an oil separator to the PCV system.  

9 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

This is interesting. My apologies if this has already been covered but I was watching a youtube video about the 2024 Ranger Raptor where the poster was showing a screen shot and photos from a thread on ranger6g where a member of the forum had gotten a ride in a test truck and then posted his review of it in the thread on ranger6g. The thread is obviously not there anymore but there was one little tidbit that really caught my attention. At the 1:40 mark of the video there is the screen shot from the ranger6g post and the second bullet point states that there was an underhood sticker that indicated that the non-Raptor versions would have available both the 2.3 AND 2.7 EBs. And then at the 8:20 mark of the video there is even a photo of the sticker. Now the other interesting thing about that sticker is that it shows all three engines as being GTDI. That would be different from the Bronco since it gets the PFDI version of the 2.7 so that right there makes me think this is legit and not just a Bronco spec sticker that was placed there by mistake.  ?

Where did he get about the Australian spec model getting a single turbo 3.0 liter?

Edited by AM222

6 hours ago, AM222 said:

Where did he get about the Australian spec model getting a single turbo 3.0 liter?

Pretty sure he was referring to the Powerstroke diesel that was available here in the F-150 for a couple of years. We won't be getting that option.

15 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

So about that Bronco PFDI vs Ranger GTDI difference regarding the 2.7L, anyone know what that's all about? Is it emissions related? In other words, are the smog regs different for SUVs vs trucks? I guess that still wouldn't explain why the 3.0L in the Bronco Raptor is only GTDI. Maybe it is just a cost cutting thing. Oh well, I guess if anyone is worried about carbon buildup on the backside of the intake valves they can always add an oil separator to the PCV system.  

Are you referring to a non-turbo 2.7L Nano V6?