2024 US Ranger Without Camo Spotted

2 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

It is kind of odd that here Ford markets both the Maverick and Ranger as "lifestyle" trucks. I guess they're just giving us options. LOL

If you want a "work" truck in North America you're supposed to buy an F-series. Or a Tacoma...:stirpot:

Most trucks are sold as lifestyle accessories. I'm not sure what is the point of your comment. Ford markets F-series as lifestyle truck too. What kind of "work" do you think Raptor or F-450 Platinum is doing beside social signaling for the owner?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

It is kind of odd that here Ford markets both the Maverick and Ranger as "lifestyle" trucks. I guess they're just giving us options. LOL

If you want a "work" truck in North America you're supposed to buy an F-series. Or a Tacoma...:stirpot:

The Ranger Supercab XL 2.3L turbo 6’ bed with 270 hp starts at $27k.

The Tacoma Supercab SR 2.7L NA 6’ bed with 160 hp starts at $27k.

So much for that argument.

• Like 2

https://www.ranger6g.com/forum/threads/ford-launches-ranger-wildtrak-x-and-tremor-models-for-europe-with-new-features-styling.7291/

lots of pics of the wildtrak x and tremor models at the link. I wonder how or if these will carry over to the USA? As I mentioned previously, I could see this wildtrak x being the US tremor, but I also think this tremor would make a great rattler too.

The RoW Ranger line up is heavily skewing towards the private buyers which is an interesting development. 

When Wildtrak first got added to T6 about 2 years after the debut of global Ranger, I remember reading either Car or Top Gear and the writer was very skeptical that a market exists for non-farm use pickup truck in the UK. I have to see if I can find that article... 

UK-Ranger-line-up.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

The RoW Ranger line up is heavily skewing towards the private buyers which is an interesting development. 

When Wildtrak first got added to T6 about 2 years after the debut of global Ranger, I remember reading either Car or Top Gear and the writer was very skeptical that a market exists for non-farm use pickup truck in the UK. I have to see if I can find that article... 

UK-Ranger-line-up.jpg

You know, it would be nice if we could get that thorough of a lineup here and really stick it up Tacoma’s ass. Alas, it will never happen. 

43 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You know, it would be nice if we could get that thorough of a lineup here and really stick it up Tacoma’s ass. Alas, it will never happen. 

Well, we know we are getting Raptor and we already have Tremor as a package not a trim level. And Wildtrak seems to approximate Lariat. So I suppose Platinum is really the only one missing in the US. 

I think Ford could try harder to sell Ranger in the US but then they have to deal with reducing Bronco output and give up that profit margin... it's a balancing act. 

31 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I think Ford could try harder to sell Ranger in the US but then they have to deal with reducing Bronco output and give up that profit margin... it's a balancing act. 

If the parts supply chain can get their collective shit together we could easily add a third shift to MAP. Rumor is they’ve really wanted to for the last 2 years but there’s been many, many weeks where we can barely run 2. It’s a disaster and it baffles me that it hasn’t gotten any better at all. 

If nothing else change the build ratio to include more Rangers and do mandatory 10x5 and 3 Saturdays a month but again, parts. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

While in the Azores two weeks ago saw my first raptor ranger in the wild.  The Azores had more pick ups on the roads than cars it seemed.  Very agricultural based economy with lots of small pick ups, mostly Mitsubishi, The Raptor really stood out in that field, pun  intended.

On 3/26/2023 at 12:42 PM, bzcat said:

Most trucks are sold as lifestyle accessories. I'm not sure what is the point of your comment. Ford markets F-series as lifestyle truck too. What kind of "work" do you think Raptor or F-450 Platinum is doing beside social signaling for the owner?

The point is that the F-series is the do everything truck in the North American market. Neither the Ranger nor the Maverick will ever be marketed that way unless fuel prices get high enough to sway enough buyers away from full-size trucks.

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

The point is that the F-series is the do everything truck in the North American market. Neither the Ranger nor the Maverick will ever be marketed that way unless fuel prices get high enough to sway enough buyers away from full-size trucks.

That didn’t happen in 2011 when gas hit $4 the first time.  Overall sales dropped due to the recession but small truck sales didn’t increase.

16 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If the parts supply chain can get their collective shit together we could easily add a third shift to MAP. Rumor is they’ve really wanted to for the last 2 years but there’s been many, many weeks where we can barely run 2. It’s a disaster and it baffles me that it hasn’t gotten any better at all. 

If nothing else change the build ratio to include more Rangers and do mandatory 10x5 and 3 Saturdays a month but again, parts. 

Yeah, I think in an ideal world, they'd have gone to 3 shifts a while ago.  They've let Ranger production (and sales) crater in favor of Bronco production/sales....and rightfully so, especially with the order backlog....but ideally, I'm sure they wanted to increase Bronco production while also maintaining Ranger production.

22 hours ago, akirby said:

Seems Ford is constantly short on either factory capacity or parts on hot sellers the last few years.  Frustrating.

Exactly.

Knowing how long it has taken Raptor versions of other models to be released and their limited availability, I had another thought about the 2024 Ranger. I know Roush Performance has their version of the current Ranger and I assume they will also do their own take on the 2024. So I just filled out a dealer contact form on the Roush website. Should be interesting to see what they have planned, if anything, for the 2024 Ranger. My guess is that Roush dealers probably have little or nothing yet on the 2024 but it won't hurt to at least get in contact with one of their dealers.

Here's a photo of the current gen Roush Ranger from their website:

2020 ford roush ranger mountains

Here's the response I received today from a Roush sales rep:

At this time we have not got any plans for a 2024 ROUSH Ranger due to several availability and engineering issues that we see with the new design. This could change as time gets closer but as of now, the 2022 ROUSH Ranger will be our last year with that platform. Maybe when these crazy times due to inability to get this parts supply chain fixed, things may change.

Not too encouraging at all. ?

Would be curious to see what the sales figures for the current Roush Ranger were. My guess is they were not high enough to warrant tooling up for new parts for a new model that may be in short supply anyway.

3 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Would be curious to see what the sales figures for the current Roush Ranger were. My guess is they were not high enough to warrant tooling up for new parts for a new model that may be in short supply anyway.

might be worth checking out RTR and seeing if they are doing anything with the 2024. It’d probably share a lot of parts with the bronco.

the current gen rtr ranger looks pretty good too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 4:32 AM, akirby said:

Seems Ford is constantly short on either factory capacity or parts on hot sellers the last few years.  Frustrating.

Better to be capacity restrained than pumping out thousands of vehicles to sit in lots for months on end and end up discounted. 

1 hour ago, justins said:

Better to be capacity restrained than pumping out thousands of vehicles to sit in lots for months on end and end up discounted. 

Of course but they’re missing huge profit opportunities.  E.g. being able to add a 3rd shift for a vehicle that’s in high demand is almost 100% net profit because the first two shifts pay all the overhead.

Its a balancing act for sure and can be risky but they could be doing a much better job in some cases.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

So what happened with the rumored April 17th  '24 Ranger reveal date? Any new guesses? Will it now be combined with the supposed May 26th opening of order banks?

I'm hoping Ford has been holding back info on the '24 Ranger, to then release it with coil spring rear suspension to match '24 Tacoma. Powertrain wise, if they carry over the 2.3 as base, then offer the Bronco 3.0 w/406hp-440lbft on regular fuel. that would best Canyon 430lbft on reg fuel, and best in class hp even if '24 Tacoma IMAX gets to 360hp and 400lbft.

I'm wondering if the 2.7 will be the same CGI out of the F150, or if they'll go to a lighter aluminum version.

Personally, I'd be happy with the 2.3EB.  That's all I need.  I'm guessing it'll be the same updated 2.3EB out of the Mustang.  Not the old model.  Makes no sense keeping the old one around since they already axed it in the Corsair.

38 minutes ago, 92merc said:

I'm wondering if the 2.7 will be the same CGI out of the F150, or if they'll go to a lighter aluminum version.

Personally, I'd be happy with the 2.3EB.  That's all I need.  I'm guessing it'll be the same updated 2.3EB out of the Mustang.  Not the old model.  Makes no sense keeping the old one around since they already axed it in the Corsair.

The 2.7L and 3.0L NANO V6s use a CGI block but the rest of the engine's major components are already aluminum including the lower engine "girdle". I doubt there would be much weight savings in replacing the cylinder block. Would it really be worth saving a few pounds on an already proven design while spending a ton of money on engineering. etc.?

Because of the fact that the Ranger and Bronco are built on the same assembly line and share the same basic chassis I would expect the Ranger to get the same versions of whatever engines are also available in the Bronco. That may or may not include the 2.7L and that doesn't even mean the Ranger Raptor will get the same tune on it's rumored 3.0L EB as is used in the Bronco Raptor. Since Ford hasn't yet officially said we are getting a '24 Ranger no one other than some of the people who actually work for Ford or its suppliers know the real answers to any of that.

On 4/22/2023 at 11:32 AM, 92merc said:

Ford stated the new Mustang’s 2.3L EB engine was all new.  Other than same 2.3L displacement, I’m not sure what if anything they share.  New engine’s  bore and stroke are quite different, suggesting to me a totally new engine design.  Since Mustang 2.3L engine is for RWD, it makes sense it could be used on Ranger.