2024 US Ranger Without Camo Spotted

Sounds like the latest Bronco production issue is door handles, since it shares them with the F-150.

I can't tell for sure but it looks like the new Ranger doesn't use those handles.

Edited by rmc523

On 5/3/2023 at 10:28 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

you beat me to it,,,,,

HRG

G6 dealer reveal.JPG

That's what I was referring to as well. Although I don't know why someone would expect Build & Price by then.

16 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Is there any hope of getting this thread back on track about the 2024 Ranger?

HRG

If I did something like taking discussion off-topic, you just know how it would go...?‍♂️

I'm concerned Ford brought this vehicle back and it might not perform competitively in sales volume, against stiff competition, no thanks to a very exhausted assembly plant and supply chain.

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Sure, when there’s something new to talk about

I would think what @HotRunrGuy and I both mentioned, constitutes "something new", versus somewhat off topic discussion about who knows what regarding wages and the like. Which I consider sensitive subject matter for someone like you, as a Ford employee.

There's a Ranger public reveal most likely sometime in the next 20 or so days. It's also the next pickup truck launching this year, regardless of the Tacoma debuting soon.

Ford is obviously struggling to juggle meeting both Ranger and Bronco demand all at once, while all of their new midsize competitors have nothing holding them back, once Job 1 came/comes around.

If Ford really wanted to commit, the new Ranger could've matched Toyota much closer in volume after the outgoing stopgap generation balances out and 6G Job 1 starts.

The idea to build the Ranger in the same capacity-constrained and shift limited assembly plant with popular Bronco, has backed them into a thankless corner.

I get hindsight is 20/20 and back when MAP was chosen circa 2015, they were uncertain about future demand. MAP needs expansion, but I doubt the business case for doing so would happen and personally, I'm not informed on the real estate limits of MAP.

I'm not happy about the issues at MAP, as the workers can only do so much, if there are not enough shifts nor capacity to meet demand for both vehicles, in these growing segments.

Seems like as a business, if the F-Series from other plants covers all the bases at Ford, the Ranger is just red-headed stepchild window dressing like the Toyota Tundra, but instead fighting for factory space. 

This truck (built in Minnesota) was the best selling nameplate in its segment through December 2004, only to be topped by the newer midsize Tacoma ending December 2005 and Toyota kept the mantle 17 years running, since Ford didn't care until too late.

There's a reason why the Ranger did well back then and it's too bad that Ford for this redesign, still might have not taken comprehensive measures to make it a class leading product in Ford's own home market, from base XL to Raptor.

Based on what I'm hearing, there will be limited choice (excluding Raptor) like the current truck, but I hope for much better.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JX1 said:

I'm not happy about the issues at MAP, as the workers can only do so much, if there are not enough shifts nor capacity to meet demand for both vehicles, in these growing segments.

It’s 100% due to supply chain, not lack of plant capacity. We can still add a shift and in the meantime they could alter the build ration if it really came down to it without any kind of major floor plan expansion. 

And yes, the Ranger is the red-headed stepchild. Its sole reason for existing in North America was an excuse to build the more profitable Bronco. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It’s 100% due to supply chain, not lack of plant capacity. We can still add a shift and in the meantime they could alter the build ration if it really came down to it without any kind of major floor plan expansion. 

And yes, the Ranger is the red-headed stepchild. Its sole reason for existing in North America was an excuse to build the more profitable Bronco. 

How insightful! I can believe that Mark Fields and Ford's negotiations with UAW from 2015-16, couldn't justify another Bronco reboot business case, unless there was enough volume to justify it up, with Ranger.

I remember that there were 2-3 business cases between 1998 and 2010, for a Bronco reboot and one of them called U260 under Jacques Nasser, which was related to a redesigned 2003/04 Ranger SuperCrew for Gen 5, on display at a December 2000 consumer clinic for the 2004 F-150 in Houston, Texas.

The 1997 UN93 Expedition was briefly designated as a "1997 Bronco" during development, similar to how the original UN46 Explorer was called Bronco III up until 1988-89. By 1995, UN93 was allegedly renamed Expedition, before reveal in spring '96. It had a 2-door fullsize prototype built in 1992-93, similar to the GMT400 Blazer.

Second Bronco attempt was the U260, based on proto-T6 frame replacement for the Yuma/Yuma+IFS Rangers sold from 1982 to 2012.

I wish someone in this group could chime in on the proposed P273 5th generation replacement for the 4th generation Ranger built in Twin Cities.

Ford did develop a 5th Gen Ranger in circa Y2K called P273 and showed it in Houston at that December 2000 consumer clinic. Like the U260 Bronco based on it, they abandoned it by 2001-02, because according to my insider not enough ROI.

The next Bronco attempt, was in the mid-late 2000s. I think the 2004 concept hinted at something by the late 2000s on the new basis, developed in skunk works circa 2006 for T6.

It got rejected again by Bill and now Alan M, because of the dire straits Ford was in and the decision to even move the Explorer to unibody D4.

Anyway, it's both a relief and a sad thing, to know it's primarily just the supply chain. Hopefully this gets better by Job 2 or MY 2025. P703N isn't due for replacement for quite some years, so there's time to play catch-up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JX1 said:

How insightful! I can believe that Mark Fields and Ford's negotiations with UAW from 2015-16, couldn't justify another Bronco reboot business case, unless there was enough volume to justify it up, with Ranger.

It’s not all that insightful, really. It was kind of obvious with the timing of the cancellation of the North American Focus and the announcement that Ranger would launch before Bronco. It was a much smaller task to federalize the already existing T6 ROW Ranger with what at the time was essentially an all new frame (yes, it was different than the ROW T6) that would serve as the starting point for the frame the Bronco would use. 

As for the supply chain issues, you would have thought the Bronco would have gotten better since it launched 2 1/2 years ago but it still isn’t close to ideal or I would be working max OT right now and P703 wouldn’t have gotten delayed as much as it has been. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It’s not all that insightful, really. It was kind of obvious with the timing of the cancellation of the North American Focus and the announcement that Ranger would launch before Bronco. It was a much smaller task to federalize the already existing T6 ROW Ranger with what at the time was essentially an all new frame (yes, it was different than the ROW T6) that would serve as the starting point for the frame the Bronco would use. 

As for the supply chain issues, you would have thought the Bronco would have gotten better since it launched 2 1/2 years ago but it still isn’t close to ideal or I would be working max OT right now and P703 wouldn’t have gotten delayed as much as it has been. 

Yeah, it was pretty obvious that the US T6 got something a bit more special, in between Global T6 and T6 Mk2.

Makes sense overall, but you'd be surprised at what some people can miss and be indifferent to details concerning their own work. I've met assembly workers like that before and it's too bad.

Like you said, supply chain, so redundant to increase production in the face of competition on both ends. Hopefully August line off still happens.

Due to inflation and high interest rates, what’s needed yet missing is a lower-cost entry-level Ranger.  In my area XLT are listed near $40K, some even higher, which adjusted for inflation is roughly twice what an entry XLT Ranger costs in the 90s.  I know Maverick now covers that entry price point, but it’s not the same.  Ranger is a real truck, only a little smaller.

I don’t follow other manufacturers as much ford, are they experiencing the same supply chain issues? I don’t really notice any issues with other industries. Wonder why the auto industry is being hit so hard by this.

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I don’t follow other manufacturers as much ford, are they experiencing the same supply chain issues? I don’t really notice any issues with other industries. Wonder why the auto industry is being hit so hard by this.

Oh trust me it’s still happening just not as widespread.

50 minutes ago, JX1 said:

It's definitely this Wednesday the 10th, like I said earlier in this thread, as did @HotRunrGuy. They totally waited until Toyota's plans became clear LOL. 

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2023/05/06/ford-ranger-unveiled-churchill-downs-kentucky-derby/70190859007/

https://youtu.be/wMjbaYXVor4

Spot on once again! :) It's brilliant of Ford to run a quick 15-second 'announcement' ad during the Kentucky Derby that Ford sponsors. Lots of audience viewing the ads prior to the actual Derby horse race. I'm just an hour and half south-east of Louisville in Kentucky, so this is awesome that Ford chose this race to announce the new Ranger reveal. Of course, Ford also build the Super Duty trucks and the Expedition/Navigator at KTP and the Escape/Corsair at LAP in Louisville. But you all already know this. lol So it makes sense for Ford to sponsor the Kentucky Derby races.

Edited by pffan1990
  • Thanks 1

On 5/5/2023 at 5:45 PM, T-dubz said:

The issues are definitely still happening in other industries.