Ford's VW-based electric SUV spied for the first time

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I haven't seen a Passat in years around me. Or even the Arteon. 

I owned a Y2K Passat AWD, which was basically an Audi in sheep's clothing (a lot of its parts even had the Audi stamp). It was one of the best, and best looking inside and out, cars I've ever owned. I used to see a lot of them around here. With the next redesign the vehicle, and its sales, started going downhill. Hardly see them at all anymore.

2 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

I owned a Y2K Passat AWD, which was basically an Audi in sheep's clothing (a lot of its parts even had the Audi stamp). It was one of the best, and best looking inside and out, cars I've ever owned. I used to see a lot of them around here. With the next redesign the vehicle, and its sales, started going downhill. Hardly see them at all anymore.

I used to see a decent amount of them pre 2010, but since then everyone around me seems to have gone to a CUV. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bzcat said:

It's actually a replacement for Passat. The proportion is playing tricks on our eyes - the taller profile (to hide the battery skate platform) is making the car look shorter but it is purely an optical illusion. VW already published the dimension for ID.7 and it is slightly longer than the outgoing Passat. 

Dimensions show ID.7 is significantly longer and taller than Tesla 3.  The height is interesting in that it’s between the model 3 and Y.  It may be tall enough to convert some SUV buyers.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:44 AM, rperez817 said:

I am hoping that Ford does have an EV sedan planned for the U.S. market. It would be nice to see a Ford competitor to Volkswagen's ID.7.

2024-VW-ID7-2.png

VW’s design isn’t helping the case for ev sedans. That thing is hideous, just like all of VW’s EVs. IMO people don’t want to pay an EV premium for commuter car looks.

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

VW’s design isn’t helping the case for ev sedans. That thing is hideous, just like all of VW’s EVs. IMO people don’t want to pay an EV premium for commuter car looks.

VW’s upper executives remain as deluded as ever and disconnected from buyers all over the globe. 
It’s hard to imagine how or if it can pivot from its current entrenched thinking.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

The issue is VW doesn't have a strong modern design identity to build off of. So they have to rely on retro cues, same issue FCA, Dodge specifically, has. But their current CEO apparently didn't want any more retro designs, so he elected a new head of design with tastes more closely aligned to his own. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

The issue is VW doesn't have a strong modern design identity to build off of. So they have to rely on retro cues, same issue FCA, Dodge specifically, has. But their current CEO apparently didn't want any more retro designs, so he elected a new head of design with tastes more closely aligned to his own. 

How ironic that Ford Europe now gets to show two of its own vehicles on VW’s MEBs with completely different top hats and styling

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Dimensions show ID.7 is significantly longer and taller than Tesla 3.  The height is interesting in that it’s between the model 3 and Y.  It may be tall enough to convert some SUV buyers.

I had the Taurus that was converted from the 500 for a work car, which wasn’t particularly attractive car, but the taller interior dimensions made it a comfortable cabin environment with good visibility and upright driving position.  

9 hours ago, tbone said:

I had the Taurus that was converted from the 500 for a work car, which wasn’t particularly attractive car, but the taller interior dimensions made it a comfortable cabin environment with good visibility and upright driving position.  

It was significantly better looking than the 500 it replaced.  Unfortunately, it did give up some of the room the 500 had.

10 hours ago, tbone said:

ID.7 doesn’t look that horrible to me, I actually like some of it, though the roofline over the rear seat appears too high compared to sedans like Teslas.  It may be due to camouflage.  In a BEV where highway range depends greatly on excellent aerodynamics, I see this as a minor compromise if that’s what it takes to achieve a Cd of 0.23 versus typical SUVs in 0.27 ~ 0.30 range.

One report mentioned rumors of the ID.7 having a higher-capacity battery option of 105 kWh to achieve the estimated 700 kilometer (435 mile) range.  That makes sense when compared to cars like Tesla 3 which are smaller and more aero.  I could not see how VW would be able to achieve around 375 miles EPA range with 82~84 kWh previously mentioned.

On 2/4/2023 at 9:28 AM, slemke said:

It was significantly better looking than the 500 it replaced.  Unfortunately, it did give up some of the room the 500 had.

He's not talking about that one - he's talking about the '08 one that gave the 500 Five Hundred a new grille/headlights and taillights and got re-named Taurus BEFORE the model you're talking about.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 12:43 PM, rmc523 said:

He's not talking about that one - he's talking about the '08 one that gave the 500 Five Hundred a new grille/headlights and taillights and got re-named Taurus BEFORE the model you're talking about.

You don’t have to shout.  He didn’t mention the year, and I forgot Mulally had the name changed along with the refresh for ‘08 as a stop gap until the ‘10 arrived.  It did get the 3.5L.  The 3 bar grille and headlights didn’t fit with the rest of the design.  Something many Ford refreshes feature.  Change for the sake of change, but disrupts the cohesiveness of the design.