3rd shift being added to Maverick production in July

45 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

https://fordauthority.com/2023/01/ford-maverick-assembly-plant-to-add-third-shift-this-july/amp/

I guess Ford feels they have a good handle on supply issues to add another shift to make Mavericks, but I have a feeling the HEV Maverick isn’t part of this. 

I hope it is, that the one they are way behind on, and with shipping the HEV Maverick to Brazil this year, it SHOULD be the reason for it.

55 minutes ago, LSchicago said:

I hope it is, that the one they are way behind on, and with shipping the HEV Maverick to Brazil this year, it SHOULD be the reason for it.

I'm guessing the sticking point is battery packs-they don't have enough for the HEV Maverick, Explorer, F-150 and the BEV Lightning and Mach E. 

• Like 1

A third shift planned for Hermosillo in July assumes that supply issues are improving for C2 based vehicles. 
While I wish Ford all the best with this but still wonder if they are overly optimistic with this….

Also what consequences there are for producing a ton more Mavericks and Bronco Sports,

would that not have a deleterious impact on Escape sales?

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

.Also what consequences there are for producing a ton more Mavericks and Bronco Sports,

The Bronco Sport demand has seemed to level out with demand-a local dealership had a handful of them on the lot, but they also had a $3500 ADM on them and Ford, in the past year, was offering "deals" for consumer special orders. I'm guessing having the regular Bronco is making people want that instead also.

The Maverick has to fill in the price point that the Ecosport had-which hasn't been built/imported to the USA since last Summer. 

Outside of certain Bronco models and maybe the BEVs they have, Ford seems to have a tenuous grip on supply and demand with other models. 

38 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The Bronco Sport demand has seemed to level out with demand-a local dealership had a handful of them on the lot, but they also had a $3500 ADM on them and Ford, in the past year, was offering "deals" for consumer special orders. I'm guessing having the regular Bronco is making people want that instead also.

The line up for T6 Bronco is still way out the door, they’re actually offering buyers who have an order money to switch to another vehicle. So while Ford makes about 14,000 Broncos a month, it’s generally problematic because certain key parts for desirable trims are virtually impossible to source as already diverted to places like Dearborn 

The Maverick has to fill in the price point that the Ecosport had-which hasn't been built/imported to the USA since last Summer. 

People are not ordering the Maverick just because the base Hybrid is so cheap, the vehicle itself is a huge hit.

Outside of certain Bronco models and maybe the BEVs they have, Ford seems to have a tenuous grip on supply and demand with other models. 

Exactly, they are continually bumping up against all kinds of supply issues where “Not In Time” seems to be the rule making production ebb and flow. Just when Ford looks like having a good month, bam another supplier issue crops up.

Seriously, dealerships are Ford’s best friends at the moment by dealing with the lead question: “ where the heck is my vehicle and when is it being delivered?”

Imagine getting an answer from a Ford online sales website…… please contact your local dealer.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

A third shift planned for Hermosillo in July assumes that supply issues are improving for C2 based vehicles. 
While I wish Ford all the best with this but still wonder if they are overly optimistic with this….

Also what consequences there are for producing a ton more Mavericks and Bronco Sports,

I certainly wouldn't buy an Escape or Bronco Sport. It's Maverick Hybrid (could buy a Sienna Hybrid though, but I don't want too) or keep what I have. One Lightning battery pack sacrificed is enough for what 75-80 Maverick packs? They are adding a 3rd shift to build Lightnings.....

Edited by LSchicago
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm guessing the sticking point is battery packs-they don't have enough for the HEV Maverick, Explorer, F-150 and the BEV Lightning and Mach E. 

It is more than just battery packs, they are short other components as well and getting those made are a challenge with the labor shortage in the suppler industry.  A Lighting or Mach-E ER battery cell usage can build about 65 other hybrids. ER Lighting would be over 80 If it was just a battery pack issue Ford would sacrifice 2000 units to build 120,000 hybrids. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LSchicago said:

I certainly wouldn't buy an Escape or Bronco Sport. It's Maverick Hybrid (could buy a Sienna Hybrid though, but I don't want too) or keep what I have. One Lightning battery pack sacrificed is enough for what 75-80 Maverick packs? They are adding a 3rd shift to build Lightnings.....

They’re different batteries and suppliers, the added battery supply for Lightning came from delaying BEV Explorer/Aviator by 18 months

Just my observation but it seems like Ford sees hybrids as beneficial during periods of high gas prices but then thinks buyers go off the bite when prices drop, I think the market is more sophisticated these days and buyers want what they want in spite of what Ford thinks.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

I have not seen a Maverick on the lot actually for sale in months.

They are all sold right off the truck here. More supply is a plus. 

Dealer near me actually has a used one on the lot. They want $33.9k for it. 

https://www.gornoford.com/used-Woodhaven-2022-Ford-Maverick-XLT-3FTTW8E94NRA76247

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Dealer near me actually has a used one on the lot. They want $33.9k for it. 

https://www.gornoford.com/used-Woodhaven-2022-Ford-Maverick-XLT-3FTTW8E94NRA76247

A dealer not far from here is self registering the Bronco Raptors to sell them as "used" for a huge mark up. They also have a Ram dealership and they did the same with the TR-Xs they had.

Sleazy...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

It is more than just battery packs, they are short other components as well and getting those made are a challenge with the labor shortage in the suppler industry.  A Lighting or Mach-E ER battery cell usage can build about 65 other hybrids. ER Lighting would be over 80 If it was just a battery pack issue Ford would sacrifice 2000 units to build 120,000 hybrids. 

And I'm assuming the only light at the end of the tunnel is when BOC and other battery plants come on line in the next 36 months or so?

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

And I'm assuming the only light at the end of the tunnel is when BOC and other battery plants come on line in the next 36 months or so?

Light at the end of the tunnel for both production numbers and pricing is when the labor shortage and absenteeism issues wane. 

8 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Light at the end of the tunnel for both production numbers and pricing is when the labor shortage and absenteeism issues wane. 

Good luck with that one...not sure if that issue is going to be fixed any time soon. Its terrible all over the place. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

They’re different batteries and suppliers, the added battery supply for Lightning came from delaying BEV Explorer/Aviator by 18 months

Just my observation but it seems like Ford sees hybrids as beneficial during periods of high gas prices but then thinks buyers go off the bite when prices drop, I think the market is more sophisticated these days and buyers want what they want in spite of what Ford thinks.

I want a Hybrid for city driving and road trips. My E150 Club wagon work van gets about 9-10 MPG in my short stop and go commute, and about 16 on the Highway. My 2018 Mustang (Supercharged to 900+RW on E85) gets about 6.8 MPG around town, and 14 Highway. Getting 40+ MPG on my daily commute, and 35 or so when taking those long or cross country trips a couple times a year would be great. It can easily handle the Go Fast Camper, to minimize any hotel stays needed. Ecoboost in direct comparison gets about 17-18 local driving MPG in my area, which is based on my wife's 2.0 Escape numbers. The EB just doesn't make much sense for my needs.which 95% of the time is all stop & go low speed driving. That is why I only want a Hybrid. Otherwise I will keep the E150 as a daily.    

1 hour ago, LSchicago said:

I want a Hybrid for city driving and road trips. My E150 Club wagon work van gets about 9-10 MPG in my short stop and go commute, and about 16 on the Highway. My 2018 Mustang (Supercharged to 900+RW on E85) gets about 6.8 MPG around town, and 14 Highway. Getting 40+ MPG on my daily commute, and 35 or so when taking those long or cross country trips a couple times a year would be great. It can easily handle the Go Fast Camper, to minimize any hotel stays needed. Ecoboost in direct comparison gets about 17-18 local driving MPG in my area, which is based on my wife's 2.0 Escape numbers. The EB just doesn't make much sense for my needs.which 95% of the time is all stop & go low speed driving. That is why I only want a Hybrid. Otherwise I will keep the E150 as a daily.    

I went from 29 MPG around town in a fusion hybrid to a 2.7L V6 in my Bronco getting 17.5-19 MPG to my short commute to work and the difference is roughly filling up extra one time a month more. Your not going to see a huge improvement in MPGs in something like a F-150, since the powerboost hybrid is marketed as a power adder and not really a fuel saver. 

My wife gets 23 MPG or so in her Escape. Using Fuel economy.gov as a baseline, @75% stop and go driving, you'd save maybe $550 a year in gas...or $11 a week going the Escape Hybrid route vs a Regular Escape

29 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I went from 29 MPG around town in a fusion hybrid to a 2.7L V6 in my Bronco getting 17.5-19 MPG to my short commute to work and the difference is roughly filling up extra one time a month more. Your not going to see a huge improvement in MPGs in something like a F-150, since the powerboost hybrid is marketed as a power adder and not really a fuel saver. 

My wife gets 23 MPG or so in her Escape. Using Fuel economy.gov as a baseline, @75% stop and go driving, you'd save maybe $550 a year in gas...or $11 a week going the Escape Hybrid route vs a Regular Escape

My last truck was an F150 5.0. I certainly don't want or need a full size truck now. It got about 10 in the city, and up to 27 on the highway. It's always the city driving that sucks up the fuel. Sounds like your driving is more open suburban type driving if she's getting 23 mpg in an Escape. My wife's was consistently 17-18 mpg in city driving. My 99 E150 has a 4.6, but at 5,000+ pounds, it's just too heavy to be efficient. Makes a good camper van though.

Maverick hybrid getting 4 times the city mpg, and more than twice the highway mileage will save a lot of gas over 10 years. Almost enough to pay for itself.   

This is my current daily. I bought it 5 years ago for $2,500 with 76K miles on it.  

117960262_10157065199126580_4159064100522579479_n.jpg

35 minutes ago, LSchicago said:

My last truck was an F150 5.0. I certainly don't want or need a full size truck now. It got about 10 in the city, and up to 27 on the highway. It's always the city driving that sucks up the fuel. Sounds like your driving is more open suburban type driving if she's getting 23 mpg in an Escape. My wife's was consistently 17-18 mpg in city driving. My 99 E150 has a 4.6, but at 5,000+ pounds, it's just too heavy to be efficient. Makes a good camper van though.

My 3.5LEB F150 gets between 18-21 in local driving and 25-28 on the highway depending on speed.