2024 Tacoma Shown Off

silvrsvt

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Typical Toyota overly busy design work. Same problem GM (Chevy in particular) has right now. 

Agreed, but not offensive enough that it won’t sell.  People have been driving basically the same Tacoma for so long they will be clamoring for an updated one that look different.  

On 1/24/2023 at 6:43 PM, T-dubz said:

toyota-pickup-ev-concept.jpg

looks pretty much just like the Tacoma ev concept from last year.

This was from 2021, not last year. Really surprised they'd show it so early, as a fake EV. Guess there's no competition to worry about.

On 1/28/2023 at 11:39 PM, JX1 said:

This was from 2021, not last year. Really surprised they'd show it so early, as a fake EV. Guess there's no competition to worry about.

It’s not surprising for companies to do “look at us, we’re doing it too” concepts when they don’t have anything actually in the immediate pipeline

Edited by rmc523

On 1/30/2023 at 12:25 PM, rmc523 said:

It’s not surprising for companies to do “look at us, we’re doing it too” concepts when they don’t have anything actually in the immediate pipeline

Yeah, but that wasn't the point. Ford inadvertently gave everyone a leg up on what they were doing for 2023, when this leaked out 4 YEARS ago against TPTB wishes.

2021-ranger-wheels.jpg.bed2c2b707deb142d578841fc64a12bd.jpg

That really sucked in 2019, because Toyota and GM were still designing their new trucks, while Nissan was probably done with the 22 Frontier. 

hero-image_fill.size_1200x900.v1639559049.thumb.jpg.40d26331e8be51623711b248487a0b22.jpg

Toyota voluntarily leaked their own future truck in 2021 more than 2 years before it went on sale in 2024, via a BEV Concept that doesn't exist internally, at least for the Tacoma.

Toyota16newmodelsAkioToyoda.thumb.jpg.10a4bc9d034f7153049c4f14acf726db.jpg

Unless that's supposed to be the Hilux BEV they're planning for mid-decade, why show a production truck so early? My source claims his guy at Toyota states there is no BEV Tacoma in planning, but only Hilux in EU and JDM/Asia-Pacific and that wasn't firm yet.

The EV truck was just eye candy and an excuse to reveal their future Tacoma early, via a "fake" concept. Or that's the newly rebadged Hilux too, but in BEV grade. It's confusing.

That was for hype, because no one cares about the bland car and crossover BEVs, but niche stuff like 4x4s and sports cars.

1 hour ago, Hugh said:

Is this all new or a reskin sold as all new? Not a fan of the front or back. The large wheel wells indicate potential for larger wheels (TRD variant?). 

It is all new and apparently the only midsize segment truck that won't be carryover. Will join TNGA-F, which is modular like T3 on the fullsize Fords. My source says that the Ranger and Bronco might leave T6 after this generation ends, but will that be on a downsized F-Series frame (currently T3.5), BEV TE1, and second generation TE2? Too early to know.

Edited by JX1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JX1 said:

It is all new and apparently the only midsize segment truck that won't be carryover. Will join TNGA-F, which is modular like T3 on the fullsize Fords. My source says that the Ranger and Bronco might leave T6 after this generation ends, but will that be on a downsized F-Series frame (currently T3.5), BEV TE1, and second generation TE2? Too early to know.

The current T6 is supposed to be built till 2034 or something like that, but a BEV Bronco and Ranger go into production at the end of the decade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The current T6 is supposed to be built till 2034 or something like that, but a BEV Bronco and Ranger go into production at the end of the decade. 

The current truck ends production in 2032, but that's not yet firm at the moment. I just wonder if they ditch ICE after P703N concludes?

Do you mean the T6 architecture or specific P703N generation. I talk with him, but I don't get told everything unfortunately.

1 hour ago, JX1 said:

The current truck ends production in 2032, but that's not yet firm at the moment. I just wonder if they ditch ICE after P703N concludes?

Do you mean the T6 architecture or specific P703N generation. I talk with him, but I don't get told everything unfortunately.

Here

2012933434_fordfuture.png.9b62ab77e2001f1df4680a3d74891e23.png

Looks like the Ranger gets a refresh in 2029 and the Bronco gets one later in same year...but that also lines up with when the BEV versions come out...I wonder if they'll have the same sheet metal with different styling like the lighting does or gives them to the opportunity to pull the bandaid off and retool MAP for BEVs also

56 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Here

Looks like the Ranger gets a refresh in 2029 and the Bronco gets one later in same year...but that also lines up with when the BEV versions come out...I wonder if they'll have the same sheet metal with different styling like the lighting does or gives them to the opportunity to pull the bandaid off and retool MAP for BEVs also

FYI typically a refresh doesn’t change program code. 

14 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

FYI typically a refresh doesn’t change program code. 

I took a better look at the sheet

Ranger has the same programs code with just BEV being added to it with the same dates for release. 

The Bronco has two different program

codes with U800 assigned to the BEV bronco. 

22 hours ago, Hugh said:

Is this all new or a reskin sold as all new? Not a fan of the front or back. The large wheel wells indicate potential for larger wheels (TRD variant?). 

It's supposed to be all new I think.  But the design seems to just be "mini Tundra"

• Like 1

On 2/2/2023 at 5:56 PM, silvrsvt said:

Here

I used to trust them religiously, because they have a credible record to some degree. However, there are variations, such as I don't like when they put in filler chassis codes, which often turnout to be different at launch. Plus it leans too speculative at times, against internal developments.

Aside from that, I've followed them for years, thankful now that some other enthusiasts on other forums are now aware of Auto Forecast Solutions too.

Anyone willing to actually find out what's happening, should look for these and get ahead of future developments, but take it with a grain of salt. Thanks for the updated information, as I saw an early version of this chart which was a bit different from last spring.

I think I was the first person to mention the next generation F-150s online 2 years ago, thanks to my source working on both P736 and P800 in some capacity in Dearborn and AP.

Edited by JX1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:18 AM, rmc523 said:

It's supposed to be all new I think.  But the design seems to just be "mini Tundra"

I had said that above to Hugh, but I guess he doesn't read posts very well. I know for a fact, it's all new. No reason it wouldn't be.

I don't know why anyone keeps assuming Toyota would do another facelift/refresh at this point, especially after 20 years since the last big redo. (The info is out there.)

Considering how they keep hyping their new modular frame. It's just willfully dismissing info already out there, to ask the same tired questions.

It's just as ridiculous as some snark, questioning or implying the F-150 still uses the same frame from 2004, which is obviously partisan crap from fanatics of truck competition that forget design signatures being retained doesn't mean it's carryover mechanically.

The new 2022 Tundra design was meant to be a bigger present day Tacoma and the 2024 Tacoma is an evolution of the current Tacoma. That's what Kevin Hunter, their USA design director mentioned somewhere.

The current Tacoma sells great, but last Tundra didn't. Easier to bridge them closer together, by making the next Tundra a bigger and more extreme version of the outgoing Tacoma, while having the next Tacoma stick to its successful roots by keeping it familiar.

Too many "enthusiasts"/observers seem to be stuck on just one brand and don't try to keep themselves objective and informed on other brands, yet have the gall to authoritatively question the competition, like I keep seeing everywhere.

I look forward to the new 2024 Ranger and also what Toyota is bringing out for 2024. I also like the new GM cousins, but I think Ford and Toyota will rule the roost for the next few years. Nissan's Frontier is nice, but nothing special. Jeep is just niche and forget about a Ram Dakota that ain't EV.

I don't have favorites, even if my spending dollars go to Ford. Toyota doesn't offer a real half ton Raptor competitor nor a NA V8 RWD manual coupe below $60k. If they did, I might buy from them. But pigs will fly before that ever happens.

Toyota has used the same frame, updated only once in the 2010s, since 2004. New truck is totally redone, but I'm sure you already specifically know that since you follow everything out there like I do.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 3:06 PM, JX1 said:

I had said that above to Hugh, but I guess he doesn't read posts very well. I know for a fact, it's all new. No reason it wouldn't be.

Okay, I don't live here in the forums thanks. I saw what you posted and acknowledged it. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2023 at 10:31 AM, Hugh said:

Okay, I don't live here in the forums thanks. I saw what you posted and acknowledged it. 

Understandable Hugh, neither do I. Just was trying to help! They're saying April 5th reveal for this one, while maybe this month for the Ranger?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...