2024 Tacoma Shown Off

silvrsvt

On 5/21/2023 at 2:34 PM, maginty said:

Ventilated seats, rear seat vents, 4 auto available on competitors and global Ranger + in dash pop out cupholders.

Plus, GM announced on July 28/22 they were offering 430lbft on reg fuel, and Ford had 10 months  knowing what # to beat and they come up with 400 lbft with late availability on the Ranger already 18 months behind. Ford has the Bronco 3.0 with 406hp/440lbft on reg fuel which would have had class leading specs before Tacoma announcement and would still outperform Tacoma with 80 hp advantage.

Ford has all this, not something that has to be developed and they refuse to offer it, at least on Lariat trim, and it would be extra profit dollars which I would classify as " just good business"!

After waiting too long for the new Ranger, in Nov, I turned to GM to order a '23 Canyon and was told they were building '22s till end of Dec, and '23s starting in Feb '23. The called me early Feb and I priced an AT4 which they said could start build right away, I said ok, then they called back and said the order was held up, unless I agreed to cancel the AT4 premium package, otherwise the build would be held up 5 months or change order to Denali that I initially wanted but it had an extra 1" lift over the standard 2" lift which I wasn't thrilled with to start. Among the many things in the AT4 premium package is heated steering wheel and ventilated seats. To keep my order and get a year old truck in Sept/Oct wasn't happening, so I decided to wait and see what Ranger and Tacoma would offer, and still have the option to order a '24 Canyon if necessary.

It sounds like the Canyon or Tacoma offers everything you want and the Ranger doesn’t. Why not just order a new Canyon or Tacoma? Complaining on an internet board isn’t going to change anything. I’d buy a new Ranger because I’ve had excellent service from my previous 2019 and my current 2022 Ranger. I just get XLTs anyhow. I wouldn’t get a 2024 because I would want a Tremor package, but with a 2022 Tremor I’ve had for a year I’m not ready for a new one anyhow.

You have choices that give you exactly what you want. If you still have an option to order the Canyon which does have everything you want including what you consider to be better performance and features I’d say your wasting your time complaining about the skimpy offering of models and options on the Ranger. Get what you really want and be happy.

In general, the styling of the all-new Tacoma is an improvement over the previous generation. What I hate (aside from the stupid air dam/spoiler) are the fake intakes under the headlights and the prominent fake hood scoop on the TRD Sport and TRD Pro trims.

I also noticed that the Tacoma's recovery points (seen inside the large holes on the air dam) look quite low. 
2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-sport-2.jpg
-motor1
Not sure about the US-market 2024 Ranger, but the RoW version has functional side vents.
2024FordRangerPickupTruck.jpg?w=1024&h=4
-motorbiscuit

Edited by AM222
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AM222 said:

In general, the styling of the all-new Tacoma is an improvement over the previous generation. What I hate (aside from the stupid air dam/spoiler) are the fake intakes under the headlights and the prominent fake hood scoop on the TRD Sport and TRD Pro trims.

I also noticed that the Tacoma's recovery points (seen inside the large holes on the air dam) look quite low. 
2024-toyota-tacoma-trd-sport-2.jpg
-motor1
Not sure about the US-market 2024 Ranger, but the RoW version has functional side vents.

-motorbiscuit

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Yeah what the hell is the deal with the air damn on the front of it? I'd think that would have some impact on MPG (more frontal area) and would screw up departure angles when off roading. 

2024 Toyota Tacoma - MotorWeek First Looks

They were inspired by the neckbeard:

1684863057779-png.69674

• Haha 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Yeah what the hell is the deal with the air damn on the front of it? I'd think that would have some impact on MPG (more frontal area) and would screw up departure angles when off roading. 

Smoothing the airflow. Take it off and MPG will suffer as air crashes into everything underneath. 

On 5/23/2023 at 5:45 PM, LSchicago said:

Smoothing the airflow. Take it off and MPG will suffer as air crashes into everything underneath. 

Your right

https://www.thedrive.com/news/why-the-2024-toyota-tacoma-has-such-a-huge-air-dam?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1iy8fa0bVfmJvUF-N0NzSAzUoXfLEluSzXf7zRGdvaamXdAeM4-KENGog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LSchicago said:
On 5/26/2023 at 9:40 PM, silvrsvt said:

Is he also the one who explained why drum rear brakes are better off road? ? I bet most of them will wind up at the recycling center, or in the corner of the shed next to the Subaru Brat seats.

On 5/23/2023 at 4:45 PM, LSchicago said:

• 4 months later...
On 5/20/2023 at 11:21 AM, rperez817 said:

Ford has the potential to make a dent into Toyota's lead in this segment by bringing BEV (Lightning?) Ranger to market before Toyota does so with its BEV Tacoma or Hilux.

Toyota recently sent a Hilux BEV Revo concept vehicle to Australia. Here is a review. We drive the Electric Toyota Hilux - and have questions...

nfvygqsgjp4pqebgmglb

rrv2bdugdmlovo5bpxzd

yyqe7pgclfrkiplg69hf

qtvihh1rz8tkuhas2wfs

i39m7blmhagkwzpxhpxb

• 1 month later...

More details for 2024 Toyota Tacoma released today. All-New 2024 Toyota Tacoma is Adventure Ready Out of the Box - Toyota USA Newsroom

Pricing.

• SR XtraCab 2WD: $32,995
  • SR XtraCab 4WD: $36,195
  • SR Double Cab 2WD: $35,195
  • SR Double Cab 4WD:  $38,395
  • SR5 XtraCab 2WD: $37,695
  • SR5 XtraCab 4WD: $40,895
  • SR5 Double Cab 2WD: $38,695
  • SR5 Double Cab 4WD: $41,895
  • TRD Prerunner 2WD: $39,595
  • TRD Sport Double Cab 2WD: $40,895
  • TRD Sport Double Cab 4WD: $44,095
  • TRD Off Road Double Cab 4WD: $43,295
  • Limited Double Cab 4WD: $53,595 

2024-toyota-tacoma-limited-117-6564c7b5c

2024-toyota-tacoma-limited-114-6564c7b18

2024-toyota-tacoma-sr-016-65651a4888a98.

2024-toyota-tacoma-102-6564c4d892629.jpg

2024-toyota-tacoma-trdsport-051-65652572

On 10/18/2023 at 11:59 AM, tbone said:

That is an unattractive vehicle to my eyes. 

It's what makes a Toyota a Toyota. I'll give them credit that many of their designs are unique looking, fresh, and energetic. But they don't age gracefully at all. The rav 4 looks pretty terrible, particularly the face of the thing, and the Camry looks older than the last gen fusion. The ft-1 was solid until they butchered the proportions with the production supra, that's according to the team that designed it. The new MR2 looks sweet, and seems like it'll come to production. But it probably won't come here knowing our luck. 

10 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I'll give them credit that many of their designs are unique looking, fresh, and energetic. But they don't age gracefully at all. 

Good point DeluxeStang, you are absolutely correct. That's the downside to Akio Toyoda's push to make Toyota cars and trucks less "boring" in terms of styling. These vehicles look fresh and energetic (but ugly as well in many cases) when they are first released, but that avant garde styling becomes stale more quickly than Toyota's older and more conservative designs.

For example, the 4th generation Hilux pickup truck from 40 years ago (used in the Back to the Future movie) has aged very well in terms of style. That won't be the case for 2024 Tacoma 40 years from now. Or even 10 years.

Back-To-The-Future-Toyota-Truck-e1633601

• Like 1

20 hours ago, akirby said:

Am I the only one that hates the stubby bed 4 door midsizers?  They look terrible to me.  

Tacoma will again be offered in SR and SR5 trims in Xtra Cab/6' box, Double Cab/5' box, with the SR5 also available DoubleCab/6' box. 2024 Frontier has a similar lineup. The 2024 Canyorado (Coloranyon? I get mixed up) and Ranger are 4dr/5' box only, so far. It's disappointing to me to see the US Ranger becoming another redheaded stepchild; I think I'm not alone in rooting fro the vehicles we own, and I hope that some of the $12B saved from Ford E can be used to get Ranger production back up. The market is there, but If Ford continues to dribble out a couple here and there, people will forget all about them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisgb said:

Tacoma will again be offered in SR and SR5 trims in Xtra Cab/6' box, Double Cab/5' box, with the SR5 also available DoubleCab/6' box. 2024 Frontier has a similar lineup. The 2024 Canyorado (Coloranyon? I get mixed up) and Ranger are 4dr/5' box only, so far. It's disappointing to me to see the US Ranger becoming another redheaded stepchild; I think I'm not alone in rooting fro the vehicles we own, and I hope that some of the $12B saved from Ford E can be used to get Ranger production back up. The market is there, but If Ford continues to dribble out a couple here and there, people will forget all about them. 

I’m reasonably sure Ranger will have a supercab 6’ bed next year and they’re just simplifying the builds for the launch of the new model.  I don’t expect a crew cab 6’ bed though.

I’ll consider a Supercab Ranger to replace my F150 just to get more room in the garage.  5’ bed is too small and a crew cab 6’ bed would be almost as long as my F150.

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

I’m reasonably sure Ranger will have a supercab 6’ bed next year and they’re just simplifying the builds for the launch of the new model.  I don’t expect a crew cab 6’ bed though.

I’ll consider a Supercab Ranger to replace my F150 just to get more room in the garage.  5’ bed is too small and a crew cab 6’ bed would be almost as long as my F150.

I think a 6 foot bed for the Ranger is important, and makes the truck more useful. If they don’t offer it, I think they’re just being present in the market and are not attempting to challenge for the lead.  

33 minutes ago, tbone said:

I think a 6 foot bed for the Ranger is important, and makes the truck more useful. If they don’t offer it, I think they’re just being present in the market and are not attempting to challenge for the lead.  

The only thing holding back Ranger is Bronco.  If parts or assembly line slots are scarce then Bronco will get them.  It’s a shame they can’t go all out 3 shifts on both.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Good point DeluxeStang, you are absolutely correct. That's the downside to Akio Toyoda's push to make Toyota cars and trucks less "boring" in terms of styling. These vehicles look fresh and energetic (but ugly as well in many cases) when they are first released, but that avant garde styling becomes stale more quickly than Toyota's older and more conservative designs.

For example, the 4th generation Hilux pickup truck from 40 years ago (used in the Back to the Future movie) has aged very well in terms of style. That won't be the case for 2024 Tacoma 40 years from now. Or even 10 years.

Back-To-The-Future-Toyota-Truck-e1633601

Yeah, Toyota just doesn't seem to know when to put down the pen these days. When they get it right, with things like the electric land cruiser and MR2 concepts, or the lc 500 and new Prius, they're great. But they get it wrong so often. They always add off-putting little details, like how the rav 4 looks pretty attractive, but then they decided to give the upper and lower intakes this strange intersecting look where they overlap. Or how the newer Camry just has lines that go nowhere. 

That's where Ford shines by comparison, their designs often strike the perfect balance of being distinct, but restrained, good line flow and proportions. I'm curious to see how things go with their latest head of design, who has a history of bringing a lot more flair into design. That should be promising for many future Ford products.