Ford to enter F1 with Red Bull?

silvrsvt

23 hours ago, akirby said:

So the Ford engines won’t have anything in common with production engines.

Just like NASCAR…….

It’s not even that, it’s literally branding. At least the 3 OEMs in NASCAR develop their own engines within that box NASCAR gives them even if they don’t have anything to do with street engine programs whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It’s not even that, it’s literally branding. At least the 3 OEMs in NASCAR develop their own engines within that box NASCAR gives them even if they don’t have anything to do with street engine programs whatsoever. 

I don’t think the OEMs have built engines for NASCAR in 20+ years.  They just provide engineering assistance.  Toyota might be the exception.

I know it’s just marketing - I was just taking the opportunity to gig NASCAR.

7 hours ago, akirby said:

I don’t think the OEMs have built engines for NASCAR in 20+ years.  They just provide engineering assistance.  Toyota might be the exception.

I know it’s just marketing - I was just taking the opportunity to gig NASCAR.

TRD builds their own engines. They used to do it at the TRD complex out west but when Gibbs switched TRD took over their engine shop. Roush/Yates builds Ford engines and ECR/Hendrick (I can’t remember what they’re calling their combined operation) builds the top tier Chevy engines. 

On 1/25/2023 at 9:42 AM, akirby said:

So the Ford engines won’t have anything in common with production engines.

Just like NASCAR…….

Not much other than Formula One engines are turbocharged V6 engines with direct injection. Maybe Ford can brand it EcoBoost? 

Car companies usually use Formula One as a testbed for the latest tech, at least it used to be. Of course, now the future is electric.

NASCAR race cars are the ones that should have production-based engines. Sadly, road car engine tech has overtaken NASCAR race car tech many many decades ago.

Edited by AM222

2 hours ago, AM222 said:

NASCAR race cars are the ones that should have production-based engines. Sadly, road car engine tech has overtaken NASCAR race car tech many many decades ago.

NASCAR is supposed to be coming out with an “electrified” engine package in the next few years. Nobody is really sure exactly what that will look like. It’s hilarious watching the mouth breathers foaming at the mouth over it. 

https://performance.ford.com/series/formula-1/news/articles/f1/2023/02/ford-returns-to-formula-1.html

So reading this it sounds like because of the engine rules changes for 2026, Ford and Red Bull will co-develop an all new engine package for the 2026 season that will run on sustainable racing fuel.  Still 1000 Hp, but now 470 from the electric motor and 530 from the ICE.  Also eliminating the electric motor connected to the turbos.

https://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/f1s-2026-engine-rules-are-here-quieter-laggier-and-less-ice-power