Potential Design Flaw - Safety Concerns PHEV Escape

D8e2L

Attention Ford Employees, Engineers and Management - Is there a process to ensure a message gets passed along to the proper personnel for an evaluation of what I believe is a potentially serious safety/design flaw on the 2020-2022(+) PHEV Escapes?  Please Message me only if you have a a method that I can pursue to ensure a proper evaluation is performed.  I do not plan to discuss my concerns with anyone outside of this process until either I feel I have exhausted all of my options or have had confrimation it is/has being evaluated.  This is out of respect that there may be areas of the designs I may not fully understand that would mitigate my concerns, however I have experienced a failure that suggests this does not exist.  My situation may truely be a fluke, however based on my eeducation, unique experience and the details of my situation I strongly believe otherwise.  Others, please respect my wishes and I assure you I will update once I feel it's appropiate.

Respectfully,|

Dan

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why do you feel it’s not appropriate to discuss?  Perhaps we can either provide concurrence or point out flaws in your theory.

I truly do not doubt many of you could, however as a Principle Engineer I feel strongly about ensuring the appropriate personnel have the first opportunity to review and respond.  I have seen too many times people (public) blow things out of proportion and not give the process time to work out or they come to conclusions without all the facts.  My hope is Ford will recognize my decision to approach this situation respectfully as sincere and not think I’m just a person that has a grudge and ranting on a forum, thus leading to an evaluation.

If I do not have success in my outreach, I will gladly update for the greater group to consider, provide feedback, debate and discuss to see if that flags Fords attention. 

Edited by D8e2L
add spaces
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, D8e2L said:

Attention Ford Employees, Engineers and Management - Is there a process to ensure a message gets passed along to the proper personnel for an evaluation of what I believe is a potentially serious safety/design flaw on the 2020-2022(+) PHEV Escapes?  Please Message me only if you have a a method that I can pursue to ensure a proper evaluation is performed.  I do not plan to discuss my concerns with anyone outside of this process until either I feel I have exhausted all of my options or have had confrimation it is/has being evaluated.  This is out of respect that there may be areas of the designs I may not fully understand that would mitigate my concerns, however I have experienced a failure that suggests this does not exist.  My situation may truely be a fluke, however based on my eeducation, unique experience and the details of my situation I strongly believe otherwise.  Others, please respect my wishes and I assure you I will update once I feel it's appropiate.

Respectfully,|

Dan

You might try to reach out to either Darren Palmer or his boss, Doug Field.

37 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

You might try to reach out to either Darren Palmer or his boss, Doug Field.

Thank you for the feedback and if I cannot reach someone with a lower role/title, I will definitely give them a try.  I want to make sure I don't look like I'm just going to the top if there a system that is designed for my situation.  It's hard for me to balance respect for a corporation’s structure and the concerns I have in the design.   ?

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Hi D8e2L, thank you for noting the design flaw and safety concern here in this forum. In addition to contacting the executives that Chrisgb mentioned above, since the issue involves a possible safety defect, be sure to submit details at the NHTSA compliant website. Report a Vehicle Safety Problem, Equipment Issue | NHTSA

Good idea and I have done! Thanks

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Not sure which is funnier - the fact you felt the need to point this out, the fact you capitalized it or the fact you misspelled Principal.

I’m sorry, I was typing fast, misspelled and capitalized something…  I didn’t realize I would be evaluated on spelling or grammar.   As for mentioning it, it was context and I apologize if you felt threatened or belittled but am glad you found it funny aenough to respond. 

1 hour ago, tbone said:

Perhaps you can enlighten the other Escape owners here if it is such an important safety concern, of which I am one.  Otherwise I find this behavior unusual, considering you posted in a public forum.  

As I mentioned, I wanted to wait and see if I could get in contact with someone at Ford first.  Just curious, how is my post in a forum titled "Executives & Management" with a description of Open letters to Ford's Executives & Management unusual?

As for anyone that is actually interested, I contacted NHTSA as recommended above as well as contacted Ford Customer Care.  Based on my experience here, I will make all further comments, upload photos, descriptions and updates to my findings and any conclusions I receive elsewhere - consider this thread closed for my part.  It is responses like those above that convince me my appoach was correct.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, D8e2L said:

As for mentioning it, it was context and I apologize if you felt threatened or belittled

It had nothing to do with context - you were bragging and making it sound like you were smarter than everyone else.  Why would I feel belittled - I work with principal engineers every day.  We have several hundred in our company.