Ford to cut one in nine jobs in Europe in electric revamp

Official Ford press release. Ford Takes Next Steps to Transform European Business | Ford of Europe | Ford Media Center

Highlights. 

• Ford Europe is preparing its organization and product line-up to compete and win in a highly competitive region that is facing significant economic and geo-political headwinds
  • The company is taking action to restructure its business in Europe, creating a leaner, more competitive cost structure, including the elimination of 3,800 jobs over the next three years
  • Plans will enable a future for Ford in Europe defined by a new line-up of iconic vehicles inspired by Ford’s American heritage and differentiated through software and services
  • Strategy to offer an all-electric fleet in Europe by 2035 is unchanged. Production of Ford’s first European-built electric passenger vehicle is set to start later this year

Summary of affected jobs across Europe:

Product Development Administrative Functions Total
Germany 1700 600 2300
UK 1000 300 1300
Rest of Europe 100 100 200
Total 2800 1000 3800

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Well that confirms where most of the excess engineers were.  I guess you don’t really need 6 different versions of a 2.0L diesel engine.  A problem GM never had.

That is one big advantage with BEVs - same powertrain everywhere.

I'm almost positive Ford will find a way to over-complicate it. There are several versions and variations of almost everything they've done from at least the 70s on (I don't mess with much older than that so I don't know), down to half year changes in things as simple as a wiring harness.

39 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

I'm almost positive Ford will find a way to over-complicate it. There are several versions and variations of almost everything they've done from at least the 70s on (I don't mess with much older than that so I don't know), down to half year changes in things as simple as a wiring harness.

That’s because the CEO allowed Europe to do their own thing.  But given their never ending financial issues I think Farley has said enough is enough.

• Like 1

The confusing part of One Ford was that they didn’t get the right mix of regionalisation,

Europe stayed in those MPV/Minivans too long instead of embracing utilities and crossovers.

Clinging to Fiesta and Focus sales numbers because they were popular in Ford’s top four Euro

markets - UK, Germany, France and Italy. Profitability was definitely a secondary consideration.

Not building cars in Cologne or Saarlouis = losing the German buyers, BEVs from Cologne = winner.

On 2/14/2023 at 1:38 PM, akirby said:

Well that confirms where most of the excess engineers were.  I guess you don’t really need 6 different versions of a 2.0L diesel engine.  A problem GM never had.

That is one big advantage with BEVs - same powertrain everywhere.

Well, Ford has already unnecessarily complicated it then.  The Mach e uses a smaller front motor than rear.  The GT uses the same rear motor in the front.  The e Transit also uses the same rear motor, which is made by LG.  Lightning might use the same rear motor also.  

8 hours ago, slemke said:

Well, Ford has already unnecessarily complicated it then.  The Mach e uses a smaller front motor than rear.  The GT uses the same rear motor in the front.  The e Transit also uses the same rear motor, which is made by LG.  Lightning might use the same rear motor also.  

That doesn’t take a team of engineers though.  Motors are virtually interchangeable.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 12:25 AM, slemke said:

Particularly when they are outsourced.  LGE makes the motors for the Mach e and transit.  Not sure about the lighting.

I thought I read that Ford designed the Lightning motor and builds it in-house.  

Edited by CurtisH