Truck rolling when in Park

NH_Bulldog

I have a 2022 F250 with 7.3L gas and 10 speed transmission and about 20,000 miles.  A few times this winter I have put the truck in Park in our driveway, and it started to roll then stopped.  Initially I thought it was sliding on the ice, but last night I parked on the gravel part of my driveway and came out this morning to find it resting against the hitch of travel trailer.  I read there was an issue with the 10 speed transmissions and the 6.7L diesels a couple of years ago, but can’t find anything recent.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I am now using the E-brake everywhere I park, but it isn’t a longterm solution.

On 2/19/2023 at 2:34 PM, NH_Bulldog said:

I have a 2022 F250 with 7.3L gas and 10 speed transmission and about 20,000 miles.  A few times this winter I have put the truck in Park in our driveway, and it started to roll then stopped.  Initially I thought it was sliding on the ice, but last night I parked on the gravel part of my driveway and came out this morning to find it resting against the hitch of travel trailer.  I read there was an issue with the 10 speed transmissions and the 6.7L diesels a couple of years ago, but can’t find anything recent.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?  I am now using the E-brake everywhere I park, but it isn’t a longterm solution.

I always use the e-brake and have never had a problem.  Why isn't that a permanent solution?  It's what you're supposed to do.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ScottK1 said:

I always use the e-brake and have never had a problem.  Why isn't that a permanent solution?  It's what you're supposed to do.

In cold climates, where it freezes and sometimes snows, I was taught to not use the emergency brake as the shoes have a tendency to freeze to the drum or disk.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, rottekatz1 said:

In cold climates, where it freezes and sometimes snows, I was taught to not use the emergency brake as the shoes have a tendency to freeze to the drum or disk.

Yes, you also should not go swimming less than an hour after eating. ?

Edited by twintornados
  • Haha 3

On 2/19/2023 at 5:34 PM, NH_Bulldog said:

Mine is kind of jumpy (by that I mean lunges a bit when put in Drive and when putting in park then taking my foot off the brake it may relax into her resting spot a few inches till it gets tension on the grearing)

But not really any better or worse than any other truck I have ever driven. 

So how far is your truck rolling? A few inches or a few feet?

In park the gearing should have a positive lock from the Trans to the axle...it is either not falling into gear 100% (adjustment), or you have some serious trans gearing/ shaft issues (not good).

Tq conv forward is not an issue, clutches in the rear could be shot but you would see that while driving/pulling.

Have anyone around with same similar setup of a truck you can compare. Getting a feel from drive to park, for sound/distance/feel of the shifter?

Either way it's going to end up being a warranty issue covered, but downtime for your truck....that sucks!

Always hated having a new or rebuilt (or large repair) transmission on my vehicles because they never work as smooth as the factory one that originally came with the vehicle...

I have always done my own transmission work/rebuilds on the older stuff (Muncies, power glides, th350/400s, Saginaw, ect ect)

But this new stuff is WAY out of my league! The Trans bench would have to go from 6ft to 25ft???

• Like 1

This has always seemed to shift hard out of Park, not smooth at all but I chalked it up to it being a Super Duty and not the F150 I had before.  I understand what you mean about the “settling in” feeling after putting it into Park, and I have that too.  

The rolling started this winter with all the cold, ice, and road salt/sand.  I would park in one part of my driveway with a very slight uphill slope, place in Park and shut the truck off.  As I took my foot off the brake pedal, the truck would roll backwards a foot or more.  I stepped on the brake again, restarted the truck and cycled into Drive then back to Park and it seemed to hold.  Then I started parking in a different part of the driveway with a slight downward slope (our 30 ft travel trailer is parked there so it isn’t steep).  I came out one morning and the truck had rolled forward 10 ft into trailer power jack on the tongue.  It must have been a slow roll since nothing was dented or damaged.  

The weather warmed up a bit last week so I ran it through a car wash with undercarriage spray and it hasn’t tried to roll more than the typical “settling in” that is to be expected.  I don’t mind using the parking brake since that is why it’s there, but have never had to with any of my vehicles over the past 10 years we have lived here.  

The next time I get a chance to get it up on ramps, I will look for any obvious issues, but will probably have it seen at the dealer before too long to at least document the concern.  

• 3 weeks later...

E-brake or not it shouldn't roll that much & I mean not much like a 2/8 of an " after it stops

I would make a service appointment either way not safe. I am in MA & yes I have watched cars in a lot across from me in the winter when ice & snow has been on the ground & seen them move slowly a good cars length or more that's understandable,  just by parking it in a normal way it shouldn't roll just my opinion 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...