Trailer Backup Camera Not Default Reverse View

After installing the Ford trailer backup camera, the default camera view when in reverse, is still the truck tailgate camera. I get a lovely view of the front of my trailer. You have to manually go through the camera menu and re-select the trailer reverse view. If you get in and out while backing up, you'll do this many times. I read on an old thread there might be a fix for this, but haven't found one.

In case anyone is looking to get this, I ordered the trailer TPMS and camera package ($725), had it installed on the truck at the dealer (I had to badger them to do it) ($450), and then a friend and spent several hours installing the harness on the trailer. Zero stars, not recommended. 

I've got a 2022 F350 which also includes the UTT camera and pro trailer backup assist.  

Edited by Blackdiamond925

I installed that system myself, and I love it.  I give it 5 stars for the quality of the camera compared to Furrion Vison S cameras that most trailers are wired for.  The truck remembers the last camera you were using.  Just hit the top (right, I think) button, and it comes back up.  Quite easy to get used to.  I highly recommend it.  I also love keeping that camera on while towing as it really helps you know when you have completely passed another vehicle.  I have the 360 system and 5th wheel prep.  I can't imagine why the dealer would charge $450.  The truck part of the job took about 10 minutes to swap out the connector on the back.  The trailer was the hard part.

Edited by ScottK1

Question for you guys with the 2022 and trailer camera, can you show that camera in the little section on the right?  That's where I would like to see it so I can leave it up, not in the big full-screen view.  I'm still waiting on my camera to show up.  I got my truck in early November and still no camera or TPMS for the trailer.

47 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Question for you guys with the 2022 and trailer camera, can you show that camera in the little section on the right?  That's where I would like to see it so I can leave it up, not in the big full-screen view.  I'm still waiting on my camera to show up.  I got my truck in early November and still no camera or TPMS for the trailer.

I don't think so, but I will check when I am back in town.  I typically turn it on and off during long drives, so I can see my maps and music controls instead.  It really is just one button to toggle it on/off when you're going to pass or you want to see what's going on behind you though.  I mounted the TPMS transmitter to the back of the front cross-beam on the frame of my trailer.  It works well there.  This set of wire covers made it super easy to nicely hide wires going up the back side and across to the center of the trailer for the camera: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFQRH33/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Edited by ScottK1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 1:37 PM, fordmantpw said:

before the latest update, no.... but the update changed the screen views some.  I'm hoping it's viewable now, but i won't be hooking back up for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...