'24 Mustang Pricing Revealed

Ummm, yeah... I wish I didn't read that. For that price they'll sell tens of them. Then add obscene markups on top of that. No thank you, I'll keep the one I have.

And it's not just Mustang. All cars are so overpriced now even when you take the covid shortages into the mix.

Edited by atomcat68

3 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

Ummm, yeah... I wish I didn't read that. For that price they'll sell tens of them. Then add obscene markups on top of that. No thank you, I'll keep the one I have.

And it's not just Mustang. All cars are so overpriced now even when you take the covid shortages into the mix.

There are forum supporting dealers that have been and still are offering deals on mustangs.  Even throughout COVID, mustangs 2% under MSRP.. and they are offering the Dark Horse at MSRP (zero markup).

It's on the customer to shop around and not get taken by ADMs.

• Thanks 1

While I don't expect pricing to come down...the ADM era should be coming to an end on everything that isn't a limited edition/short run product with 5-7% interest rates. The era of "free" money with 0% APR isn't coming back anytime soon on a car.

Supply should get better as time goes on and there might be some incentives on some products in the next few months as supply increases.

The "issue" with the Dark Horse is that it doesn't command a historical premium to it like the Mach 1 or GT350/500 has, so I'm guessing that is helping keep ADMs (for now) to a minimum. 

Considering that the average car costs about $50K as of 2022, a starting price of $32K isn't too terrible. 

GT Pricing through the years-

1968 Mustang GT-$2,955

1998 Mustang GT-$12,745

2018 Mustang GT-$35,190

2023 Mustang GT-$43,090

Gotta love inflation, but then again you are getting 480HP and what would be basically supercar like performance from 20-30 years ago, if that. 

“The days of cheap V8 pony cars are now behind us“

A new base V8 Mustang Mach I from the early 70s would cost about $21,000 if adjusted for inflation.  My dad bought one for $3,000.  While both share V8 power, everything else is very different.  Before that, Pony cars were even more basic.  My first Mustang, a used 65, had a 289 V8 but not much of anything else buyers demand today.  It had no air conditioner, no power steering, no power brakes, no power windows, no windshield washer, etc.  I was lucky to have an AM radio (with one speaker if I recall correctly).

Agree with others that cars have become too expensive for many buyers, but don’t see a way back for Mustang to be priced in +/- $20,000 range, with or without a V8.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

“The days of cheap V8 pony cars are now behind us“

A new base V8 Mustang Mach I from the early 70s would cost about $21,000 if adjusted for inflation.  My dad bought one for $3,000.  While both share V8 power, everything else is very different.  Before that, Pony cars were even more basic.  My first Mustang, a used 65, had a 289 V8 but not much of anything else buyers demand today.  It had no air conditioner, no power steering, no power brakes, no power windows, no windshield washer, etc.  I was lucky to have an AM radio (with one speaker if I recall correctly).

Agree with others that cars have become too expensive for many buyers, but don’t see a way back for Mustang to be priced in +/- $20,000 range, with or without a V8.

I checked the inflation calculator using the 2022/23 rates (most sites are only using 2020 as a guide) and $3k in 1970 is roughly $23k today. 

I did a reverse inflation valuation on the 2024 Mustang GT base fastback which Ford's website shows as $41,495 USD plus D/D.

In January, 1970 it would have MSRP'd at $5,242.88, or about a $1,000 more than the 1970 Dodge Challenger I bought after coming home from the 'Nam. But that car was a 318 V8/TorqueFlite ,Power Steering manual brakes (disc Fr/drum R) am/fm monaural, black vinyl roof over Plum Crazy and not much else. I don't remember what the actual msrp was but assuming $4,300 +D/D, a comparable '24 Mustang GT would be $34,032.57,  or ~$7,462 more than it actually is. Probably doable as a stripped "Pony Edition": and a mild 250hp-tuned Coyote. Impressive, considering all the safety, EPA and convenience features that are standard or were't available 53 years ago. Marketable? Nah, but we can dream.

Edited by Chrisgb

Given that the Mustang is the only vehicle built at Flat Rock and like most plants that plant can probably crank out 100K Mustangs a year on one shift, if there's ADM on Mustangs it ain't gonna be Ford's fault. And if MSRP for a Mustang GT is too much, the base Ecoboost for $32K is faster in a straight line than the original GT350 that collectors are paying $100K+ for and the OG GT350 disappears from rear view after a couple corners...

In fairness, Mustang seem a bargain compared to some vehicles; like base cargo vans which quickly approach $50,000 to start.  And for that you get a basic powertrain and mostly bare interior.  On the other hand, compared to base Camry, Accord,, or similar, Mustang starting prices seem high to me; though I’m not sure price is the main reason ~ 1/10 as many Mustang as originals are sold.

40 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

In fairness, Mustang seem a bargain compared to some vehicles; like base cargo vans which quickly approach $50,000 to start.  And for that you get a basic powertrain and mostly bare interior.  On the other hand, compared to base Camry, Accord,, or similar, Mustang starting prices seem high to me; though I’m not sure price is the main reason ~ 1/10 as many Mustang as originals are sold.

The other issue is the Mustang is its own bespoke platform, which impacts prices to a point. I'm sure the platform tooling has been paid off since it dates back to 2005 (yeah I know it got a major upgrade with IRS about 10 years ago) But it is a coupe in its own niche market also. 

I wonder how much pricing will be impacted in about 7 years when it moves to a BEV platform that will most likely shared with the Mach E and other C sized BEVs. 

4 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I wonder how much pricing will be impacted in about 7 years when it moves to a BEV platform that will most likely shared with the Mach E and other C sized BEVs. 

I don’t see how it would matter in this context since once Mustang is switched to BEV platform, it is no longer a pony car with tradition to uphold.  Sure, it may still carry Mustang name, but as a BEV it might as well be any other car, including from other brands.  I’m not into marketing, and maybe they can somehow relate an all-new BEV to a 1965 Mustang, but it won’t be the same regardless of cost.

15 hours ago, Rick73 said:

I don’t see how it would matter in this context since once Mustang is switched to BEV platform, it is no longer a pony car with tradition to uphold.  Sure, it may still carry Mustang name, but as a BEV it might as well be any other car, including from other brands.  I’m not into marketing, and maybe they can somehow relate an all-new BEV to a 1965 Mustang, but it won’t be the same regardless of cost.

An affordable sporty car built using shared chassis and powertrains from the NA Falcon. The original concept.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Apparently the 2024 Mustang won't have AM radio.

I wonder if they kept the CD player in the B & O? My 2019 has one, I rarely use it though.

Seeing how the prices have gone up on the V8’s these last few years I’m happy to keep my Bullitt, plus I’m not fond of the interior on the ‘24 at all. My Bullitt has 480-HP and 420-TQ, still beats the ‘24 GT! Plus….the Bullitt exhaust note, it’s heaven! 

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Apparently the 2024 Mustang won't have AM radio.

AM radio is unfortunately almost dead, from OEMs not investing in radios which is going to accelerate in the next few years and the big media conglomerates that just simulcast FM stations. Even rural customers and truckers that used to be a mainstay of AM listeners have turned to satellite and streaming services. 

FCC has a few AM lovers but time is not on its side. I can’t tell you the last time Ive had it on in any of our vehicles and I wouldn’t  miss it if it was removed vs the other options Ford has stripped off vehicle.

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

AM radio is unfortunately almost dead, from OEMs not investing in radios which is going to accelerate in the next few years and the big media conglomerates that just simulcast FM stations. Even rural customers and truckers that used to be a mainstay of AM listeners have turned to satellite and streaming services. 

FCC has a few AM lovers but time is not on its side. I can’t tell you the last time Ive had it on in any of our vehicles and I wouldn’t  miss it if it was removed vs the other options Ford has stripped off vehicle.

Radio industry expert Robert Lee suggested about 5 years ago that AM radio back then progressed from "almost dead" to "dead". As Lee says below, AM radio needs to be laid to rest. No one will miss it.

The other day I was reading an opinion piece about AM Radio, and the best the writer could do, to no purposeful end, was bring up the failed efforts and lost opportunities on the part of the FCC to help save AM radio. Everything the author wished for is the past — left undone — and, now, too late.

Now, as the FCC undertakes its important Quadrennial Review, I would again implore Chairman Pai and the Commissioners to walk away from the past, lay AM radio to rest, and move all the AM stations to an all-digital, expanded FM band in the television channels’ 5 and 6 spectrum. And, in addition, implement a “date certain” plan, sooner rather than later, to move the incumbent FM band, at 88 to 108 MHz, to all-digital. 

Please, Chairman Pai and Commissioners, let us once and for all face up to the reality of AM radio’s future…that there is none. Move AM stations into the 21st century and onto all-digital FM channels, and stop all the insane and hopeless non-revitalization nonsense. AM radio is dead.

Edited by rperez817

20 hours ago, spudz64 said:

I wonder if they kept the CD player in the B & O? My 2019 has one, I rarely use it though.

Seeing how the prices have gone up on the V8’s these last few years I’m happy to keep my Bullitt, plus I’m not fond of the interior on the ‘24 at all. My Bullitt has 480-HP and 420-TQ, still beats the ‘24 GT! Plus….the Bullitt exhaust note, it’s heaven! 

My Bronco doesn't have a CD player.  And honestly I didn't notice for a while.  Aside from some disc-based video games, I haven't used a CD since early 2010s at the latest.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Radio industry expert Robert Lee suggested about 5 years ago that AM radio back then progressed from "almost dead" to "dead". As Lee says below, AM radio needs to be laid to rest. No one will miss it.

I used to use SiriusXM but no longer pay the sub price since we travel so little.  Being in our 70s I've found a local AM classic rock station and almost always listen to that.  But since I'm an ole koot it doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, tarheels23 said:

my C-Max has cd and we do use that

CD = 12 songs.  USB drive = 1000 songs (in my case you could have more) playable by voice command by title, artist, genre or album and the ability to create playlists of any length.  I have all my high school music in one playlist.  It’s so convenient and you can move it from car to car.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

CD = 12 songs.  USB drive = 1000 songs (in my case you could have more) playable by voice command by title, artist, genre or album and the ability to create playlists of any length.  I have all my high school music in one playlist.  It’s so convenient and you can move it from car to car.

USB drive, does that have anything to do with autopilot?   ?

• Like 1

I have this very very small USB thumb drive, on My MKZ its on what would be the cigarette alcove, which has a lid so it had to be very small.  It holds my 129 Gigs of music, all in file folders.  Never used the CD player, and rarely i'll use Iheart, or Pandora, maybe on a long drive where I just want to be surprised....

As many BOF members are aware, I worked for a Ford dealership for 35+ years in a management role with much of that time including inventory management and ordering all Stock, Demo, Retail and Fleet orders. Over the years my company cars included every Thunderbird model (Standard, LX, Elan, Turbo Coupe, Super Coupe) as we were one of the largest Thunderbird dealers and many Mustangs, almost exclusively Mustang GT's and California Special models. 

Perhaps I'll be convinced otherwise when we can all see the S650/2024 Mustang in person, but my initial impression is anything but favorable compared to the current edition. For a vehicle line that Ford always gave a lot of attention to, the next generation looks like an afterthought with little consideration or attention to design details. In particular, the new instrument cluster and center stack digital display are just horrible and look like something taken from the parts bin of other Ford vehicles.

Unfortunately, Ford is looking to compensate for reduced Mustang production and sales by increasing prices for the 2024 models by $3,000 on average. I'm sure part of this is based on reduced competition as well as the anticipated increased demand for the all-new 2024 Mustang. All this amounts to is Ford charging as much as the market will bear considering the iconic Mustang status and reduced competition.

FordAuthority.com_2024 Mustang Pricing_2023-02-28.jpg

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content
  • Like 4