'24 Mustang Pricing Revealed

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

As many BOF members are aware, I worked for a Ford dealership for 35+ years in a management role with much of that time including inventory management and ordering all Stock, Demo, Retail and Fleet orders. Over the years my company cars included every Thunderbird model (Standard, LX, Elan, Turbo Coupe, Super Coupe) as we were one of the largest Thunderbird dealers and many Mustangs, almost exclusively Mustang GT's and California Special models. 

Perhaps I'll be convinced otherwise when we can all see the S650/2024 Mustang in person, but my initial impression is anything but favorable compared to the current edition. For a vehicle line that Ford always gave a lot of attention to, the next generation looks like an afterthought with little consideration or attention to design details. In particular, the new instrument cluster and center stack digital display are just horrible and look like something taken from the parts bin of other Ford vehicles.

Unfortunately, Ford is looking to compensate for reduced Mustang production and sales by increasing prices for the 2024 models by $3,000 on average. I'm sure part of this is based on reduced competition as well as the anticipated increased demand for the all-new 2024 Mustang. All this amounts to is Ford charging as much as the market will bear considering the iconic Mustang status and reduced competition.

FordAuthority.com_2024 Mustang Pricing_2023-02-28.jpg

I saw it in person a few months ago, and do think it looks better in person than pictures.  But I still think the 2015 redesign was a home run and hard to beat.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I saw it in person a few months ago, and do think it looks better in person than pictures.  But I still think the 2015 redesign was a home run and hard to beat.

That's how I felt about the 2013 Fusion (home run, hard to beat). The minute I saw it, I remember thinking, "This looks SO good...how are they ever going to improve on it with an MCE or redesign?"

Turns out...they didn't! :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Unfortunately, Ford is looking to compensate for reduced Mustang production and sales by increasing prices for the 2024 models by $3,000 on average. I'm sure part of this is based on reduced competition as well as the anticipated increased demand for the all-new 2024 Mustang. All this amounts to is Ford charging as much as the market will bear considering the iconic Mustang status and reduced competition.

That isn't bad when you factor in the inflation rate and new standard equipment.  Some like the GT Premium and Convertible are actually a price reduction with the inflation rate.

19 hours ago, ice-capades said:

As many BOF members are aware, I worked for a Ford dealership for 35+ years in a management role with much of that time including inventory management and ordering all Stock, Demo, Retail and Fleet orders. Over the years my company cars included every Thunderbird model (Standard, LX, Elan, Turbo Coupe, Super Coupe) as we were one of the largest Thunderbird dealers and many Mustangs, almost exclusively Mustang GT's and California Special models. 

Perhaps I'll be convinced otherwise when we can all see the S650/2024 Mustang in person, but my initial impression is anything but favorable compared to the current edition. For a vehicle line that Ford always gave a lot of attention to, the next generation looks like an afterthought with little consideration or attention to design details. In particular, the new instrument cluster and center stack digital display are just horrible and look like something taken from the parts bin of other Ford vehicles.

Great to hear from you ice-capades, and thanks for sharing your thoughts about S650 Mustang and its pricing. I agree with you, everything about S650 including the hyped up "Stampede" event back in September 2022 was and is underwhelming, and the pricing structure as described in this thread makes the car even less appealing. Ford is most definitely taking advantage of the iconic nature of the Mustang nameplate here.

Hopefully BEV Mustang Coupe/Convertible will be a Mustang that's really worth waiting for and not a poorly designed afterthought like the S650 turned out to be.

• Haha 1

Given the declining sales in this market segment, Ford would have been foolish to invest in an "all new" Mustang. As for the price increase, it's not out of line with the price increases on other Ford and competitor's vehicles that haven't been updated. Compared to the competition, especially the German products, the Mustang is still a bargain!

• Like 7

I've owned several Mustangs and I really like the S650. It will probably end up being my first new Mustang. The ADM on the Dark Horse models are very much a thing though, with the seemingly low number of allocation numbers given to dealers for the next 18 months. Hoping the numbers are under promised and they will over deliver.

22 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Given the declining sales in this market segment, Ford would have been foolish to invest in an "all new" Mustang.

Good point GearheadGrrrl, this is reflective of Ford Blue division's ongoing decline overall. While S650 may be disappointing to a lot of Mustang fans, Ford is wise to allocate its resources to making Mustang Mach-E and future BEV Mustang Coupe and Convertible the best products they can be.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 1:39 PM, ice-capades said:

I actually like the new interior.  Wish the screens were a little more integrated into the dash and less "ipad on the dash" design like so many others these days, but the overall look and feel is much improved, IMO.  I love the tech and things you can do with the new screens.  I am toying with the idea of buying one in 24CY.    

On 3/13/2023 at 11:49 AM, iamweasel said:

I actually like the new interior.  Wish the screens were a little more integrated into the dash and less "ipad on the dash" design like so many others these days, but the overall look and feel is much improved, IMO.  I love the tech and things you can do with the new screens.  I am toying with the idea of buying one in 24CY.    

I just posted additional photos of the 2024 Mustang interior and a link to the related Autoblog article that was online a few days ago. I drove new Mustangs as my company car for many years including EcoBoost, GT's (mostly) and California Special models. Unfortunately, the more I see of the 2024 Mustang, the less I like it. I don't want an instrument cluster that looks like an iPad and don't want everything to be digital or have 18 buttons on the steering wheel, etc. Too much of the next generation 2024 Mustang looks like changes being made with little consideration of what a Mustang is and making changes just to include more digital features because it's what's expected. It's like a new generation of Ford influencers deciding what a Mustang should be that don't understand the Mustang at all. With all the changes, it looks like a new 2024 Mustang owner will need to spend an hour at least learning how to configure all the digital settings and learn enough about the vehicle before being qualified to actually drive it. 

A lot of the design changes also go against the desires and expectations of the customer demographics that can actually afford to buy a new Mustang. All that new digital display technology is nice but not necessarily desired by a lot of potential customers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

A lot of the design changes also go against the desires and expectations of the customer demographics that can actually afford to buy a new Mustang. All that new digital display technology is nice but not necessarily desired by a lot of potential customers. 

I wouldn't say that at all..Generation X is who your talking about. The Mustang needs to appeal to a younger and affluent demographic if it wants to keep going, much like how the mid engine Corvette is now apparently bringing in younger buyers now. People just don't like change for whatever reason. 

if your driving a sports car as your primary ride in your 60 or higher...more power to you...I'm not even 50 yet and it was an ever so slight struggle to get into/out a 2010 Fusion vs my SHO or Escape I had at the time, due to the seating position that was similar to my old 2006 Mustang I had. 

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I just posted additional photos of the 2024 Mustang interior and a link to the related Autoblog article that was online a few days ago. I drove new Mustangs as my company car for many years including EcoBoost, GT's (mostly) and California Special models. Unfortunately, the more I see of the 2024 Mustang, the less I like it. I don't want an instrument cluster that looks like an iPad and don't want everything to be digital or have 18 buttons on the steering wheel, etc. Too much of the next generation 2024 Mustang looks like changes being made with little consideration of what a Mustang is and making changes just to include more digital features because it's what's expected. It's like a new generation of Ford influencers deciding what a Mustang should be that don't understand the Mustang at all. With all the changes, it looks like a new 2024 Mustang owner will need to spend an hour at least learning how to configure all the digital settings and learn enough about the vehicle before being qualified to actually drive it. 

"With all the changes, it looks like a new 2024 Mustang owner will need to spend an hour at least learning how to configure all the digital settings."

C'mon now, that's part of the fun!  

I understand and respect you point of view on this but I just feel the other way.  For me, I've owned 5 prior Mustangs all the way back to my first one in 1986 - I just happen to be someone who likes to see cars evolve over time.  I like screens and gadgets even though I'm considered an old person now.  :)  

• Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 1:01 PM, ice-capades said:

While I do agree that I prefer more integrated screens, I'd say the digital cluster was one of my favorite things about my Mustang.  I know I'm younger than you and some others here, so my preferences are different.  I recently got in a friend's Mustang rental with the regular cluster, and it looked sad and dated with that setup vs. what mine had.

That said, I haven't sat in the new one, so I can't say how it is sitting in it.

• Like 1