USPS buying 9000 E Transits

USPS is the US's 1st or 2nd largest fleet, depending on how many trucks the military accounts for. They have over 100K vans that are long overdue for replacement. These vans only average about 10 miles a day, so it's a perfect application for electrification and USPS should have done this long ago.

• Like 1

The United States Postal Service isn't pinning all its electrification hopes on next-gen mail delivery vehicles. The service has signed a contract to buy 9,250 Ford E-Transit electric vans, with the first units arriving in December. The handover should be complete by the end of 2024, Ford adds. 

-Yahoo News

Will Ford have enough battery packs for the 9,250 E-Transit vans they will build and deliver by the end of 2024?

Edited by AM222

37 minutes ago, AM222 said:

Will Ford have enough battery packs for the 9,250 E-Transit vans they will build and deliver by the end of 2024?

They made 6500 E-transits last year

Ford has stated they should have enough cells for 600K BEVs by the end of this year...but I'm guessing that number is world wide. 

33 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

They made 6500 E-transits last year

Ford has stated they should have enough cells for 600K BEVs by the end of this year...but I'm guessing that number is world wide. 

Found it. 150,000 will be for E-Transit vans for North America & Europe. I wonder what the production ratio is for North America and Europe.

19 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Some here criticize Ford Pro for emphasizing the Transit and F-150 over the larger commercial trucks like the F650 and 750, but when you see numbers like these it is very understandable.   

Ah 7M, ....within reason...reminds me of the good ol' boy who  is buying watermelons for 50 cents and he hauls them north and sells them for 40 cents.  Guy says.."how do you make any money?".....he says "Volume".

My observation has been they ignore the potential 650/750 has but as  you have often pointed out they are "content" to get their 10 or 12 thousand units  year. 

I think part of being "content" is they don't have enough marketing people left who advocate for  grabbing any low hanging fruit.   And I've never said they should be back trying to get the "large car" market as sleeper class 8's are known, but the vocational market is there.   

As a Ford annuitant poster has  often pointed out, career wise big trucks is a "dead end".

Always amazes me that we hear.."can't justify the expenditure" for say adding a tandem or a Cummins/Allison option-and I  understand the preferred profitability  of proprietary power trains-but I'm looking for opportunity for increased sales....and buyers would pay a reasonable premium for these  options.  Failure to offer air brakes on a 7.3 powered 650/750 is a  good example.

Ever wonder how Autocar can engineer a ground up conventional  class 8??  I guess they don't know they are going to lose their butts.

46 minutes ago, zipnzap said:

They're also buying an equivalent number of ICE Promasters:

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-postal-service-plans-buy-9250-ev-ford-delivery-vehicles-2023-02-28/

Why not also just ICE Transits instead?

Stellantis probably gave them a better deal than Ford was willing to give, plus there is no EV ProMaster so ford got all the free marketing and publicity out of the deal without having to sacrifice profits. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Good news, but I still say there will come a day when mining countries and owners - I won't mention any names -- will withhold lithium/batteries for their own benefit and we'll be standing around with our thumbs up our ......!!!!!

We have an awful lot of lithium here.  Seems like they are finding more every day....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

We have an awful lot of lithium here.  Seems like they are finding more every day....

It doesn’t seem like there is much effort to extract it here. It appears the powers that be are content with others doing that work. Of course you get these kinds of accidents in those places. 
https://twitter.com/ElijahSchaffer/status/1630115566257315842/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1630115566257315842&currentTweetUser=ElijahSchaffer

17 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

U.S. lithium reserves are huge (as are our rare earth reserves). Yet we still only have a single domestic lithium mine (same with rare earth mining). While federal pro-EV folks talk a good game about having us exploit our abundant domestic reserves, they are timid about actually opening up federal lands for this purpose or making the necessary regulatory changes to allow them to be able to go forward in any reasonable time-frame or to be profitable. In the meantime, many environmental groups (yes, the same folks saying we need to almost immediately switch over to EVs) remain fiercely opposed to essentially any new mining activity, and they lobby just as fiercely to stop needed regulatory reform. And the thing is, they typically don't even need to be successful in their litigation against proposed new mines. They just need to keep them tied up in courts long enough that the projects no longer make economic sense.