Men’s Only Edition Ford Explorer

Some of the women highlighted by Ford include.

• Hedy Lamarr, inventor of spread spectrum techniques for radio communication
  • Dorothy Levitt and Dorothée Pullinger, developer of rearview mirror

• Florence Lawrence, inventor of turn and brake signals

• Mary Anderson, inventor of windshield wiper

• Gladys West, worked on the World Geodetic System (basis for GPS)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Lots and lots of people missing the satire in this  on other forums....

It’s not the satire that bothers me, it’s the fact that there’s serious well documented and very public quality and reliability issues and this is the kind of stuff they’re focused on…. 

Time and a place and right now this is not the time. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It’s not the satire that bothers me, it’s the fact that there’s serious well documented and very public quality and reliability issues and this is the kind of stuff they’re focused on…. 

Time and a place and right now this is not the time. 

One has nothing whatsoever to do with the other.  They shouldn’t be celebrating women’s contributions because they have quality problems???

• Like 4

15 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Some of the women highlighted by Ford include.

• Hedy Lamarr, inventor of spread spectrum techniques for radio communication
  • Dorothy Levitt and Dorothée Pullinger, developer of rearview mirror

• Florence Lawrence, inventor of turn and brake signals

• Mary Anderson, inventor of windshield wiper

• Gladys West, worked on the World Geodetic System (basis for GPS)

Ironically, this weekend, I'll be at a historical marker dedication for Hedy Lamarr.  She died in my area of Central Florida (Seminole County).  She invented what we now know as Bluetooth.  Incredibly smart and beautiful woman, sadly she died broke.  Go figure...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Ford doesn't even try to hide the satire starting at 0:26 in the video. Don't know how anyone could miss it...

Bots, and Internet trolls mainly but I could seem some non-native English speakers not completly understanidng it as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 9:16 AM, ANTAUS said:

Ironically, this weekend, I'll be at a historical marker dedication for Hedy Lamarr.  She died in my area of Central Florida (Seminole County).  She invented what we now know as Bluetooth.  Incredibly smart and beautiful woman, sadly she died broke.  Go figure...

"That's Hedley!!"

Deep movie reference

• Like 2

Stupid men buy cars too.  Whether it’s satire or not is beside the point; for-profit corporations making controversial videos in today’s polarized society seems risky.  This video “should not” be offensive to anyone, but if indeed it offended for reasons we can’t understand or relate to, was it worth it?  Can companies afford to alienate some buyers to acknowledge others?

The issue is not whether women should be celebrated, it’s more about how it’s done.

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

The issue is not whether women should be celebrated, it’s more about how it’s done.

Good point Rick73. Ford's "Introducing the Ford Explorer® Men’s Only Edition" video was beautifully done. Perfect combination of humor and information on women inventors in time for Women's History Month.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Stupid men buy cars too.  Whether it’s satire or not is beside the point; for-profit corporations making controversial videos in today’s polarized society seems risky.  This video “should not” be offensive to anyone, but if indeed it offended for reasons we can’t understand or relate to, was it worth it?  Can companies afford to alienate some buyers to acknowledge others?

Looking at today's society which is more inclusive than when I was growing up, The Explorer's demographics would include many parents with kids involved in girl's hockey, wrestling, softball, etc that were pretty scarce in the 50s & 60's We have women choosing engineering, carpentry, machine shop, submarine, fighter aircraft careers that simply weren't available to women back in those days. Therefore I think it resonates well with the target audience. If the Mens' Edition pitch offends you, maybe you have a distorted self image; take your misogyny and find new roads.

And maybe Ford is trying to inject a little humor into all the "delete options" available today ?

• Like 3

At her historic marker dedication ceremony on Sunday, a few people highlighted some facts about her, I learned she was "Delilah" On "Samson and Delilah" which debuted in 1949.  A few shared she was pretty much a recluse and towards the very end of her life she was miserable.  Behind closed doors, I've heard from some people throughout the years that in the 90s she was arrested at Eckerd Drugs store for shoplifting (essentially she died almost broke, having invented all she did).  Her marker was installed at Red Bug Lake Park, which was about 500 ft from the last residence she lived in.  I believe they said she was buried in Austria.

thumbnail_image0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rick73 said:

Can companies afford to alienate some buyers to acknowledge others?

Who are they going to alienate? The "woke" aren't going to be offended by an ad that's uplifting downtrodden women, and the rest of us aren't going to be offended by some satirical words.

• Like 3