Fords New Tech Will Allow Smokey Burnouts for EVs

I've been thinking about this for a few years now with regard to NASCAR races!  Having a nozzle shoot out smoke AND a speaker broadcasting the SOUND!  Also, will Mustang and Corvette electric vehicles be given more torque or higher performance capabilities than plain SUV's/sedans or will they all have the same performance capabilities? If so, why buy an EV high performance model nameplate?  Hmmm.

On 3/12/2023 at 10:38 AM, Joe771476 said:

I've been thinking about this for a few years now with regard to NASCAR races!  Having a nozzle shoot out smoke AND a speaker broadcasting the SOUND!  Also, will Mustang and Corvette electric vehicles be given more torque or higher performance capabilities than plain SUV's/sedans or will they all have the same performance capabilities? If so, why buy an EV high performance model nameplate?  Hmmm.

Elsewhere in BOF is a 2024 Mustang topic. Some, including myself, are of the opinion that the "sport' in sports cars is moving to the interior, with TFT displays that look like they belong in a minivan. We have 580 hp BEV trucks that can run a 1/4 mile in 12.7 seconds, and pick up that crate engine for the Mustang. Similar argument for many other BEVs. I don't think sports cars in their current form will be with us much longer, unless the direction goes from hubris to humble. MG, Triumph, Sunbeam, Fiat 124,  all cars that had basic go kart driving dynamics and garden tractor motors. The fun came in trying to keep up with the Country Squire in the other lane while freezing or roasting to death. I think a $26,995 200hp  BEV Mustang sized like the original with optional A/C and other power equipment 

might hit the spot.

NASCAR lost me when they introduced stages. EV NASCAR could mandate snow tires on 12-spoke wheels with playing cards flapping the spokes for "rattle and hum." The tires would have to last the entire race, and the pit crew would frantically change out the cards at stage/charging breaks.

Edited by Chrisgb
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

I think a $26,995 200hp  BEV Mustang sized like the original with optional A/C and other power equipment 

might hit the spot.

Ford could certainly try that, except for optional A/C.  That part will never happen.  A compact BEV Mustang the size of the 65 I owned a long time ago would get my interest as a city/daily driver.  And as you suggest, 200 HP is plenty for me.  Just like Ford downsized Mustang in 1974, they could try again when transitioning Mustang to BEV.

Auto enthusiast are one thing, but I’m not sure how average buyers will react to mandates forcing switch to BEVs in order to save the planet, while at same time allowing 1,000 HP electric cars that shred tires for fun be sold.  I know it’s a grey area, but expect some pushback in time.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Auto enthusiast are one thing, but I’m not sure how average buyers will react to mandates forcing switch to BEVs in order to save the planet, while at same time allowing 1,000 HP electric cars that shred tires for fun be sold.  I know it’s a grey area, but expect some pushback in time.

Performance is due to way an electric motor works....you can't detune an electric motor to get more range like an ICE does. 

Not to mention that it they produce more torque than HP also. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

Elsewhere in BOF is a 2024 Mustang topic. Some, including myself, are of the opinion that the "sport' in sports cars is moving to the interior, with TFT displays that look like they belong in a minivan. We have 580 hp BEV trucks that can run a 1/4 mile in 12.7 seconds, and pick up that crate engine for the Mustang. Similar argument for many other BEVs. I don't think sports cars in their current form will be with us much longer, unless the direction goes from hubris to humble. MG, Triumph, Sunbeam, Fiat 124,  all cars that had basic go kart driving dynamics and garden tractor motors. The fun came in trying to keep up with the Country Squire in the other lane while freezing or roasting to death. I think a $26,995 200hp  BEV Mustang sized like the original with optional A/C and other power equipment 

might hit the spot.

NASCAR lost me when they introduced stages. EV NASCAR could mandate snow tires on 12-spoke wheels with playing cards flapping the spokes for "rattle and hum." The tires would have to last the entire race, and the pit crew would frantically change out the cards at stage/charging breaks.

What world are you living in that you think buyers would go for optional A/C today? lol

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Performance is due to way an electric motor works....you can't detune an electric motor to get more range like an ICE does. 

Not to mention that it they produce more torque than HP also. 

Not talking about moderate performance, but rather energy-wasteful behavior.  Regardless of how power is generated, drifting is hardly efficient, or good for environment.  That’s what the average person without an engineering degree will see, and react to.

I’m not saying it is not fun, just that Prius- and Tesla-driving environmentalist won’t see drifting or 1,000 HP BEVs in same light as auto performance enthusiast. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rick73 said:

I’m not saying it is not fun, just that Prius- and Tesla-driving environmentalist won’t see drifting or 1,000 HP BEVs in same light as auto performance enthusiast. 

That's true, but even among automotive performance enthusiasts, only a minority appreciate drifting. The average driver of a street legal car, environmentalist or not, doesn't even know what drifting is, or for that matter understand the rationale behind doing burnouts to heat up tires. The ongoing transition to BEV both for street legal cars and for competitive motorsports is unlikely to change that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rperez817 said:

That's true, but even among automotive performance enthusiasts, only a minority appreciate drifting. The average driver of a street legal car, environmentalist or not, doesn't even know what drifting is, or for that matter understand the rationale behind doing burnouts to heat up tires. The ongoing transition to BEV both for street legal cars and for competitive motorsports is unlikely to change that.

I did a BMW M Driving School last year, and all of the things were fun - running around the race track, etc.   BUt I really did enjoy the drifting aspect of it around their loop!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1