Gripes with new 2022 F250 Superduty

Hi. I decided to make this post to see if any others have the same gripes and issues with their new F250 Superduty. This is my 3rd Ford F series truck, and 6th Ford vehicle. I use the truck primarily for my business. I trailer customer vehicles, pick up engines, transmissions, and other parts. Occasionally I will tow a boat, jetski, or snowmobile, or pick up lumber or other supplies. I wanted something that would also be comfortable and roomy to transport my crew and equipment to car events. My last truck was a 2013 Roush Raptor super cab. I absolutely loved it. Asides from regular maintenance and wear items, I had almost no issues with it, nor the build quality. Planning to step up to a larger enclosed trailer, I decided the my next truck should be an F250 diesel for the additional towing capacity and fuel economy. My only real issues with the Raptor were the low towing capacity and short bed length.

At 208,000 miles it was time to replace the Raptor and upgrade to something more in line with my business needs. In February of 22 I ordered a new F250 Superduty. I chose the Lariat trim, the 6.7 powerstroke, 6.75 bed, Tremor package, black appearance, and just about every option I could foresee myself wanting and needing. I turned the Raptor in as a trade as I was offered a great price at the time, and then proceeded to wait nearly 6 months without a truck while waiting on the delivery of my new one. In the mean time,I got by with borrowing vehicles but I made due. The new F250 was delivered in July.

Initially I was excited but soon little gripes and nuisances started to add up. Within a few days of taking delivery I noticed fish eyes in the paint, particularly between the bed and cab. The interior had some minor scratches on the doro handles. The glove box fails to remain shut securely, and will sag after hitting a few bumps. The fit and finish is poor overall. Buttons like the drive mode select on the shifter stalk have sharp plastic edges. I brought these up immediately to the Ford dealer I purchased the truck from, and have still to get a definite answer how it was to be addressed. They suggested they would look at the first service, which I have yet to need. I've only had to change the oil so far and it wasn't worth a trip to the dealer. 

The ride quality is poor at best. I opted for the Tremor package, hoping it would offer a more comfortable ride than the base or FX4 suspension and I wanted the limited slip front differential. The truck skips over bumps and expansion joints. The steering is vague on center, taking a lot of correction to keep the truck in a lane. I've checked the alignment hoping it was out, but I found it to be in spec. The turning radius is horrendous. It takes significant planning and room to make a turn into a space in the average parking lot. I have found that backing into a space is much easier. Doing some research, it appears the larger F350 and 450 turn sharper. 

As more time went on, more of these gripes began to show up. The Ford Sync system is atrocious. It was bad in my Raptor, but not this bad. The system is so cumbersome and difficult to use that I am surprised more people haven't gotten into an accident from just attempting something so simple as trying to change the media input. Very frequently when I receive a phone call, Android Auto will pick up but the sound will play through my phone instead of the truck's speakers. I have to hang up and call back for it to work. Button placement for the climate controls, mirrors, lights, etc are also difficult to locate while driving. (I'm 6'2" 260). 

The phone charging pad is plain stupid. A newer Android or iPhone barely fits, and the hand contortion required to place a phone in there or take it out is ridiculous. 

The shifter has very vague detents. It is far to easy too skip over drive and end up in neutral.

The front windshield began to leak. Before I could get it in to the dealer I took a rock to the windshield and had to pay to have it replaced because the warranty wouldn't cover the rock damage. 

I opted for the factory bed ramps. I liked how they stowed in the bed and how they clipped securely to the tailgate. Sometimes I will transport an atv or lawn tractor so they seemed liked a good idea. However, I soon found out that not a single bed cover, including the factory one fit with the bed ramps installed. The ramps have been pulled out and now sit in the corner of my shop. 

The Tremor running boards are far too narrow to effectively stand on with the doors closed. This is an issue while trying to reach the roof to clear off snow.

The truck takes FOREVER to warm up. I opted for the auxiliary cabin heater, but have yet to see it work or help. Running the truck on the remote start, the truck will time out and shit off without even moving the temperature gauge. I frequently take the truck upstate ny where the temperature is often in the teens or below in the winter, so this is an inconvenience. I am new to diesels so perhaps this is just how they are. I have yet to try the engine block heater to see if it helps.

There are some other things. Like the lack of auto dimming side view mirrors and heated steering wheel in a truck at this price point. I saw neither offered as options. I apologize for the rant. For $86,000 I expected more, especially after the previous positive experiences with Ford vehicles. These things are having me seriously consider selling the truck and going with a Ram or GMC. What are everyones thoughts?

Edited by Silver93t

Hum, this might not be the best place for that kind of rant. I’m sorry you’re disappointed but I can say I’ve had the exact opposite experience. I literately love my 22 F350 with the 6.7. It just hit 17k miles.  I want everything to be perfect as well but also realize vehicles are mass produced, vendors change, etc. As far as your ride quality and handling, tire pressure is absolutely the key here. Nothing rides nice, empty, with 80 psi. As a retired Dealer tech (GM, Dodge, and Ford) of 27 years I’ll tell you even Ford has stated that. Dodge used to list two tire psi specs for max GVWR and “Lightly Loaded.”  
The problem is the federally mandated tire pressure sensor systems force you to run around with rock hard tires. If you haven’t already, look into Forscan. It is worth it even if all you do is reset your tire psi thresholds. I religiously use my engine heater below 32 degrees (it’s on a timer) because I don’t like starting cold engines. As far as everything else…I’ve ran into unhappy owners of every brand. 

Well, your first mistake was thinking you would get anywhere close to a Raptor ride.  How do I know, I already made that mistake.  I had three Raptors, got a 22 crewcab F250 thinking I could make the ride better, and I was wrong, well not without spending a bunch of money anyway.  Ordered another Raptor 2 weeks later.  Unfortunately it took a year and five months to get.  At least I got the same money on my trade as I paid for it after driving  the F250 21000 miles.   

i will say that Ford quality control is suspect right now, so I hope they get it together soon.  And not having heated mirrors and steering wheel on the trucks in this price range without the intention of retrofitting them is complete BS at this point.  My God, GM retrofitted my friends GMC that was missing items, so why can’t Ford.  

I didn't expect it to ride like a Raptor, but I supposed I'm spoiled with how well mine rode with the Fox Gen 2 live valves I installed. My biggest gripe overall is the fit and finish with a truck at this price point. I can't speak for reliability as I only have 9000 miles but mechanically it seems solid. 

9 hours ago, Silver93t said:

I didn't expect it to ride like a Raptor, but I supposed I'm spoiled with how well mine rode with the Fox Gen 2 live valves I installed. My biggest gripe overall is the fit and finish with a truck at this price point. I can't speak for reliability as I only have 9000 miles but mechanically it seems solid. 

No, I understand, but it is a huge contrast that you really don’t appreciate until you experience it.  My local truck accessory shop talked me out of spending the money on the lift kit because I would never get the money back that it would cost to make the ride even close to a Raptor. I don’t tow heavy loads so payload capacity wasn’t a deciding factor either.  

I had some minor things that needed to be addressed with my Superduty too, but it was mechanically sound, and a good truck. 

I agree with the Ford sync connecting is not good....my 2019 xl ( cheapy radio )connects to my phone immediately, but my 22 with the (middle grade?) Radio takes two or three tries.

But all in all I love my 22 xlt it is a great truck with no real (piss me off) issues....there are a few little thing that I wish were different but so far (a year and a half and 10k miles its been a pleasant truck/drive/experience)

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR