Deep Sleep

Michael In MA

A few weeks ago we got a 2022 Escape PHEV.  The other morning it would not start.  It looked like the 12V battery died.  Looking around the web I found out how to jump start it.  The jump start battery showed the voltage way down.  We found the high voltage battery was charged over 2/3.  In the forums it looks like it is a common problem.  Why???

How is the 12V battery charged?  It is my wife’s and she has been trying it on EV only and charging it at night.  If it is only off the engine or is somewhere in the drive train?  If only off the engine it has not been charged for days.  Also, she could have left something on.  Still, it looks like there is no connection between the 2 batteries.

There is no charging alternator for the 12v battery. The 12v battery is charged by the motor generator and high voltage battery. It has been my experience the 12v battery has to be replaced more often in my Ford hybrids than other standard Fords I've had. You may have a bad 12v battery as I had them replaced shortly after changing. I stay with the OEM batteries with full replacement for 3yrs.