Throttle lag and/or Transmission Issue??

stevenc

Currently driving across the country & had an extremely unsettling experience yesterday.  I am towing an enclosed cargo trailer that weighs 5-6K.  This is a 2022 7.3 truck in tow/haul mode.

After fueling up, I had to merge onto a busy two lane highway.  Both the highway & on-ramp were solid uphill grades.   There were two vehicles ahead of me also attempting to merge onto the highway.   I swear I am a magnet to horrible drivers, so let the stupidity commence.   Both cars hit the brakes & clearly panicked about merging into oncoming traffic.   Here’s where the fun starts…

Just as I was hitting speed I was forced to slam the brakes in response to the idiots in from of me.   After a couple second delay, I smashed the pedal to try & rebound as a saw an oncoming semi quickly approaching.  Nothing happened!!  No response.  I floated for what seemed a few seconds & then the rpm went sky high but zero upshifting.  WTF!!  I veered off the side of the highway to not get run over.  Shifted to neutral & back to drive while coasting at maybe 30mph didn’t help.  Basically had to let the rpm’s wind down & luckily it eventually caught back up.

What the hell happened???

It sounds like it had an “oh crap” moment!  

I have experienced similar issues but not at the same time or under circumstances as dire as yours.  

Once was coasting over a speed bump, and then pressing on the gas only to feel like it slipped into neutral and it revved up.  The trucked slowed, the rpm’s came back down and then it accelerated fine.  It only did it that one time.

One thing I notice all the time though is the poor throttle response.  If you “floor” it, it just sits there and thinks about it and whimpers.  I have found that you really need a light touch on the peddle to get it to do anything.  It is an electronic throttle, so there is no cable/instant response like the good old days, but that also means there is a solution……Banks Peddle Monster if you really need/want that instant feedback.

On 3/17/2023 at 8:53 AM, stevenc said:

Currently driving across the country & had an extremely unsettling experience yesterday.  I am towing an enclosed cargo trailer that weighs 5-6K.  This is a 2022 7.3 truck in tow/haul mode.

After fueling up, I had to merge onto a busy two lane highway.  Both the highway & on-ramp were solid uphill grades.   There were two vehicles ahead of me also attempting to merge onto the highway.   I swear I am a magnet to horrible drivers, so let the stupidity commence.   Both cars hit the brakes & clearly panicked about merging into oncoming traffic.   Here’s where the fun starts…

Just as I was hitting speed I was forced to slam the brakes in response to the idiots in from of me.   After a couple second delay, I smashed the pedal to try & rebound as a saw an oncoming semi quickly approaching.  Nothing happened!!  No response.  I floated for what seemed a few seconds & then the rpm went sky high but zero upshifting.  WTF!!  I veered off the side of the highway to not get run over.  Shifted to neutral & back to drive while coasting at maybe 30mph didn’t help.  Basically had to let the rpm’s wind down & luckily it eventually caught back up.

What the hell happened???

i've had the transmission stay in neutral when putting it in drive with the parking brake on. I get a message in the display.

I think there must be an interlock that senses if the brakes have been applied hard above a threshold and holds the trans in N until it checks everything out.

I get throttle lag when pulling out of our driveway trying to accelerate across a dip created by snowmobiles. Entering a 55mph+ road with cars approaching from a blind curve, step on the gas, the truck crosses the dip and nothing for a few seconds. I think because of extra body movement exceeding some suspension parameter, the truck tries to save me from myself.

Remedy was to only apply heavy throttle after I get on smooth road. A few seconds of a dead gas pedal is downright dangerous. I bought an electronic device to program throttle response in hopes of overriding the delay but haven't installed yet. I actually forgot it's in my console until reading this thread ?

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2023 at 7:54 AM, NH_Bulldog said:

It sounds like it had an “oh crap” moment!  

I certainly did… 

Haven’t been around to follow up on this.  Sketchy as hell, but I did not run into it again after logging another couple thousand miles.   Reading up on the pedal monster definitely correlates to the lack of throttle response I experienced.   It’s a real issue to me;  not every driving scenario is effectively resolved via braking or AI.

We’ve landed back in New England & am thoroughly enjoying the dramatically improved country road mpg.  Also surprising how many gassers I’ve come across in the area.   And is anyone else annoyed with Apple Wireless CarPlay connectivity issues?   I should also share the atrocious cross country towing mpg.   And what about ride quality… 

Random thoughts that should prob be other posts

Edited by stevenc