Project T3 (Trust The Truck) EV coming 2025

31 minutes ago, Havelock said:

The Lightning is a very conventional looking truck.  I'm guessing this will be less conventional looking.

I'm guessing it will be more like the Silverado EV to compete better with the Cybertruck, when ever that comes out. 

30 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think it will be a little different but I don’t expect it to stray too far from traditional Ford truck styling.

I'm thinking that it will be optimized to be a BEV, which might mean it might be a Unibody or an approach like that. Styling I don't expect anything super drastic

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm thinking that it will be optimized to be a BEV, which might mean it might be a Unibody or an approach like that. Styling I don't expect anything super drastic

Definitely unibody with a frunk but smaller and sleeker.

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I don’t think it will be unibody as I’m sure they’re still going to want to market it to be able to do truck stuff. If anything I think it will be a skateboard type chassis similar to the Silverado EV. 

39 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don’t think it will be unibody as I’m sure they’re still going to want to market it to be able to do truck stuff. If anything I think it will be a skateboard type chassis similar to the Silverado EV. 

What GM says it is:

“It is not a unibody and it is not a body-on-frame. We’ve designed a different type of architecture where we have a body that has a floor, but also, the Ultium battery structure is actually a good portion of the structure and those two are connected after the body exits the body shaft. So we’ve defined kind of a new category of vehicle that doesn’t have that traditional body-and-frame approach.”

That is what I'd expect it to be

• Like 3

• silvrsvt changed the title to Project T3 (Trust The Truck) EV coming 2025

The thing to remember here is that Ford is trying to grow it EV truck business without immediately taking many customers away from ICE F Series sales because doing that undercuts the profit generator paying for all of this.

So whatever the changes are to next Gen Lightning, it will be to attract more non-traditional truck buyers. Also offering a big point of differentiation / more mainstream styling compared to Cybertruck

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

As pickup volume transitions from ICE to BEV, I wonder how Ford will make T3 sales add to F-150’s in order to remain most popular vehicle overall.  Will it be completely different yet be called F-150 Lightning?  Or F-150 “something”?

I found it interesting that new truck was compared in video to Millennium Falcon with a porch.  Maybe Ford Falcon Ranchero will make a comeback.  Or likely not.

I’m no Star Wars expert, but wasn’t the Millennium Falcon a bucket of bolts?  In the end it always delivered, but not without its share of problems and drama.  Just found that reference amusing. 

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If This is still accurate the Ranger BEV isn’t due until 2029. It’s probably Gen2 Lightning or something equivalent. 

This right here. This is the Gen 2 Lightning / replacement / successor. Naming wise I’d say its something that comes along when Lightning strikes….

Design and styling wise, let’s just say it’s very aero, 97-03 F-150ish but goes even further. Millennium Falcon is a good way to emphasize its modern and futuristic look.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

This right here. This is the Gen 2 Lightning / replacement / successor. Naming wise I’d say its something that comes along when Lightning strikes….

Design and styling wise, let’s just say it’s very aero, 97-03 F-150ish but goes even further. Millennium Falcon is a good way to emphasize its modern and futuristic look.    

So in this vid, the part where the designer is standing next to the clay model, am I correct in assuming that's the side profile? Looks like the front end slopes down quite a bit, but in a way that looks less bulbous than the '97-03, and more sharp. Would look quite striking if that's the case. Hope it still looks good despite focusing on areo. 

https://youtu.be/iFb_LM57Gko

Edited by DeluxeStang

11 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

All the opinionaters here should pay attention to this post; he knows of which he speaks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The thing to remember here is that Ford is trying to grow it EV truck business without immediately taking many customers away from ICE F Series sales because doing that undercuts the profit generator paying for all of this.

Farley stated inferentially in the 'Fireside Chat' that the purpose of the additional production capacity for EVs is not to maintain market share, but to grow market share. He's also indicated previously and again here that the product(s) from BOC will be quite different from the current Lightning. It all sounds like Farley intends to continue 'classic' Lightning production in Michigan (perhaps for Ford Pro) and plans to grow sales and market share with BOC. Ford will build ICE F Series as long as the market exists and the government allows. It follows that the added Lightning capacity coming later this year isn't planned for short term manufacturing, but planned for continued future output.

Farley has also given hints about T3 styling with comments in the Fireside Chat about what Ford have learned about improving range with better aero, etc.. It's there to be read... and dovetails with ExplorerDude's comments.

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Thunder or thunderbolt? Both names Ford has used in the past. 

what are they going to do with the subline they are using for the Lightning when this comes along?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

https://www.clickondetroit.com/business/2023/03/24/fords-tenn-plant-could-make-500k-electric-pickups-per-year/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=wdiv

Jim Farley said the same thing: 

The automaker said its second-generation electric truck is “code named Project T3,” and Ford CEO Jim Farley touted the truck's simplified design and high-quality technology.

Ford did not release images of the new truck during the event, but it did display colorful drawings made by Tennessee schoolchildren with suggestions for its design — including some trucks that would fly. 

In a reference to the fast and tough Star Wars ship, Farley said the new truck “is going to be like the Millennium Falcon, with a back porch attached.”

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

It's hilarious to me that Farley is following Tesla's playbook page by page, down to a youtube live stream that starts way later than expected, and some still won't admit Tesla is driving all of this. But, great to see F making some more progress. Personally hope they don't go too far with the futuristic truck deal, I want a normal looking BEV Superduty sometime in the future.. not something that looks like the cybertruck.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

It's hilarious to me that Farley is following Tesla's playbook page by page, down to a youtube live stream that starts way later than expected, and some still won't admit Tesla is driving all of this. But, great to see F making some more progress. Personally hope they don't go too far with the futuristic truck deal, I want a normal looking BEV Superduty sometime in the future.. not something that looks like the cybertruck.

Tesla is definitely pulling the BEV train so to speak, you're absolutely correct about the "playbook" Captainp4. But as you noted Jim Farley and Ford are all aboard that train which is what really counts.

Ford's name recognition with pickup trucks and its first mover advantage introducing F-150 Lightning quicker than other automakers are some serious advantages in the BEV pickup truck market. Timely introduction of T3 should bolster Ford's position amid upcoming competition from Tesla, GM, and Stellantis. 

• Like 2