08 F250 Smokes Heavy Sometimes

Hello,

My 08 f250 SD 6.4 turbo diesel Lariate will at times smoke heavily. HEAVY White Smoke and it looks like a white cloud behind me. The check engine light is on. It has only 150k miles on it.

I had a freind put it on his computer tester thingy,  It did show a code. I do not remember the code number, but it had something to do with the fuel rail system.

I did some research online and found an article saying that it could be related to the fuel pressure sensor. 

I also did some online searching about the location of this sensor. I thinks its behind a plate on the passenger side of the block on the inside of the engine. But I'm not sure. I understand this is not an easy operation and could cost several hundreds on dollars for a mechanic to do this.

When it starts smoking, it seems like it always does this when I have to stop, then take off again. Like at a stop light. It smokes so bad I have to pull over and stop and turn off the engine.  But a minute or two later when I restart it, it will not smoke. I can go 50 miles it will not smoke until I stop and then take off again. When I say smoke, its really bad. It will not stop until after I stop and turn it off and then restart.

Also, I don't hear the turbo whistle anymore. It will, but only sometimes.

Thoughts Anyone??? Recommendations??? 

This truck still has tons of power. Drives good. Rides Good. Very Clean. Its stil a very nice truck all around.

Thanks

richyrich

Edited by richyrich
forgot some important points

I had the same truck and sadly had to get rid of it due to this issue being so bad.  That engine was still in development when ford and navistar severed ties so I think there were bugs not worked out.  

water collects in the bottom of the intercooler then dumps through the engine on heavy acceleration causing plumes of white smoke and loss of power.  Mine was straight up dangerous as the truck would fall on its face when trying to pass or towing.  

I know some people drilled a small weep hole in the bottom of their intercooler but I didn’t want to do that.  I battled with ford with no luck finally getting a dealer to give me a great trade in value toward the 2015 F150 I have now.