IDS reset to fix turn signal indicator !

EB1959

Took 2022 F350 into the Ford dealer this morning.  Issue was the drivers side turn indicator on the dash would blink rapidly when in use.  I check turn signals, lights, flashers, all worked so we had no clue what the issue was.  Ford had our truck all day (8am to 4pm).  First few hours they were trying to figure out WHY this was happening.  Then, they noticed the drivers side BRAKE light bulb was NOT working!  (We did not check the brake lights, just the 4 way flashers).

They replaced the drivers side brake bulb, and STILL the instrument Left directional indicator was still flashing rapidly.  They said they had to "reset" the IDS ( Integrated Diagnostic System ) and THAT fixed the rapid blinking of the indicator.

HOW the HELL does someone replace a LIGHT BULB in the truck, and then has to reset this IDS system without taking it to a dealer ???  That has to be the dumbest damn idea yet from an auto maker!

Damn good thing it was a warranty issue, or at least they made it into one because I would of been charged a hundred bucks for damn light bulb!

Edited by EB1959

It also could have been another bulb because you shouldn`t have to go to the dealer for the fast flush, that is why it's there to let you know you have a bulb-out instead of driving around for days or weeks without brake or turn signals. It also could be how long it was out & the element was across another so it was like a short. But you are correct you shouldn't need a trip to the dealer for a reset after you change a bad bulb.

14 hours ago, sd350 said:

It also could have been another bulb because you shouldn`t have to go to the dealer for the fast flush, that is why it's there to let you know you have a bulb-out instead of driving around for days or weeks without brake or turn signals. It also could be how long it was out & the element was across another so it was like a short. But you are correct you shouldn't need a trip to the dealer for a reset after you change a bad bulb.

One would think you could just replace the bulb, but they did that and the indicator still blinked rapidly until they reset the IDS.  They said it was the oddest thing they ever saw.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Did they try disconnecting the battery?  That should fix anything except corrupted memory.

No, not that I know of and if that is the cheap easy way I guess I'll install a battery cut off switch anytime a bulb goes out.  Just seems so stupid.

Edited by EB1959

50 minutes ago, EB1959 said:

No, not that I know of and if that is the cheap easy way I guess I'll install a battery cut off switch anytime a bulb goes out.  Just seems so stupid.

What makes you think this was a repetitive event as opposed to a one time glitch?

On 3/31/2023 at 5:48 PM, akirby said:

What makes you think this was a repetitive event as opposed to a one time glitch?

I HOPE it's a one time glitch, but don't recall saying it happened more than once, was just saying if this is going to be a regular event, someone fell asleep during the program phase of trucks computer.

We've had it for almost a year now, and it's performed above expectations for us hauling our 42' 5th wheel RV through 16 states out west and back.  This is the first time it's been in a dealers shop where we bought it, for a "fix". 

Edited by EB1959