GM to phase out Apple CarPlay

jasonj80

20 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/31/gm-plans-to-phase-out-apple-carplay-in-evs-with-googles-help/

Always was a fear that you're giving up dashboard design space and UI to a third party that is common on any vehicle.

Good point jasonj80. Seems like GM is borrowing from Tesla's playbook. Big question is whether GM's capabilities (with Google's help) for software engineering will become as good as Tesla's.

I'm rather digitally illiterate, but I have a large music library and other services on Apple Music that I already subscribe to, plus dozens of locations saved in Apple Maps.This is handy for me as I have my apps on my phone no matter which vehicle of mine, or a rental I'm in. So if I were to buy or rent a future gm EV, would I have to duplicate all that, including subscription fee(s)?

"We don’t want to design these features in a way that are dependent on a person having a cellphone."- Mike Himche, executive director of digital cockpit experience, Does he really believe that anyone buying their vehicles doesn't have a phone with them in the car?  

The piece also says gm anticipates $20-25 billion in revenue from subscriptions by 2030(!).

According to gm Authority,  gm sold 2,273,942 vehicles in 2022.

$25bn subscription revenue ÷ 2,273,942 annual vehicle sales = $10,994.12 annually, or about $916/mo.  Maybe they plan to give away the vehicles and live off the subscriptions.

• Like 1

This is what I posted on GMI....

Yeah, this monthly payment for features thing that every automaker seems to be headed toward is absurd. I hate that Ford is talking about it too.

I do like the idea of being able to add a feature after purchase. For instance, let's say a factory option is $400 and I didn't think I wanted it or didn't have the ability to add that to my initial purchase at the time, but down the road I decide I want that option - I like the concept of being able to add something then via software, as you can get something you otherwise would miss out on completely.

But give payment options for it:
1) a flat price - i.e. the $400 option example above - you pay $400, you have the option for the life of the vehicle, and receive an updated window sticker/proof the vehicle has been upgraded beyond the factory build
2) similar to a car payment $x over X months until you cover the option price, then as above you have it forever.
3) OPTIONAL monthly access for "perpetual" payments until/if you cancel the feature - this option 3 for example would allow you say to get access to SuperCruise when you go on a vacation, but you don't want to outlay the $1000s it'd be on its own, and only want to use it for the trip, and you cancel it next month when you're back to normal.

Don't force everyone into this per month perpetually ONLY approach they seem headed toward.

I get it's appealing from a company standpoint to have all this monthly revenue coming in, but as a customer, that idea pisses me off......maybe people that lease vehicles feel differently?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

maybe people that lease vehicles feel differently?

Not me. I get what features I want at the time of purchase. If something comes out down the road I like, I get it in the new one when it’s time to trade in. 

Fuck subscription fees. This isn’t Netflix. 

• Like 8

As the tech evolves, so do the workarounds. In the 60's, there were 8-track cassette-shaped FM radio adapters that you plugged into the tape player and presto! FM stereo in your car. I imagine there will be a demand and a supply of Forscan-type workarounds that will let you interface your Apple Car Play or Android with your  "members only" proprietary APIM.

edit: Or not:

https://fordauthority.com/2023/04/ford-among-automakers-keeping-android-auto-apple-carplay/

Edited by Chrisgb

GM seems to be royally shooting themselves in the foot here, but also somethings I've seen from Apple CarPlay coming down the pike makes me question things also.

The thing that is nice about CarPlay, is the UI is exactly the same no matter what vehicle your using it in. I've had rentals (Hyundai's) that display the information from my phone exactly the same way Sync 3 and Sync 4 does on my Wife's Escape and my Bronco. 

Overall Sync 3/4 are alright UIs...nothing earth shattering and are useable and generally not too buggy when I use them (did have carplay lock up on me last fall on a trip and had to power cycle my Bronco...hasn't happen since then)

"We have a lot of new driver assistance features coming that are more tightly coupled with navigation," Himche told Reuters. "We don’t want to design these features in a way that are dependent on a person having a cellphone."

So basically they want you to beholden to their Nav system as a subscription to make money off you. What happens if you don't have a want or need for this? I drive 26 miles round trip to work when I go into work. The vast majority of my driving is doing less then 50-75 miles in a day if I do have to go some place. I really have no need for a Super cruse or Blue Cruse self driving thing outside of maybe a long road trip 2-3x a year. 

32 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

I imagine there will be a demand and a supply of Forscan-type workarounds that will let you interface your Apple Car Play or Android with your  "members only" proprietary APIM.

The issue is that going forward these files will need to be digitally signed so they work with the APIM. its not a bad thing-its good cybersecurity, but it does make it harder to do things.