2017 Escape Major Issues

James J

All - just a shot in the dark here, I'm not mechanically inclined & rely solely on the repair shops for most vehicle issues.  About a year ago my 2017 Escape titanium started having drops in engine power.  The repair shop replaced the high pressure fuel pump & the vehicle ran better than ever including a long road trip. A few weeks after returning the same engine power issues resurfaced.  Took it to the same repair company, different shop & they found that the camshaft was damaged & that caused the fuel pump issue.  The fuel pump was under warranty, and the camshaft was replaced as well.  Then last week the car died at a stop light & would not re-start.  The same mechanic shop is now saying I need to replace the engine.  It currently has 95K miles, lots of highway commutes. 

Here's the assessment from the shop - Notes: Vehicle has 12.3 volts at battery and cranks without needing a jump box. Seems to have no compression and cranks really easy. removed spark plugs and performed compression test. pics are from #4 to #1 cylinder. Spark plug picture is #1 to #4. cylinder #1 & #2 have 0psi of compression and didn't even wiggle the needle when cranking. Cylinder #3 had approx 20psi of compression and cylinder #4 had approx 5psi of compression. All 4 spark plugs look okay but #4 looks the best as far as how it was burning. Vehicle needs an engine.

I'm at a loss what to do & hate to take the loss on the whole thing.  My question - could this latest issue be related to the camshaft issue & if so, do I have any recourse with Ford or the shop that I used?  All comments & suggestions are greatly appreciated..

What you have going on sounds like the water intrusion issue.  Loss of compression and I'd bet a loss of coolant too. 

Check with the Ford dealer.  You may be covered by the 100k mile extended warranty due to this block issue, if that is the cause.

Edited by 92merc
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

my 2017 escape titanium 1.5.  Small block replaced under warranty.  Transmision rebuild on my dime at 105,000.   I'm in NC and have rust issues on door bottom  i wash every week.  Ford will review once it rusts thru. ive repaired my self.

So other than motor, trans, rust its been a great car. LOL 

• 2 weeks later...