Ford April 2023 Sales Results

1 hour ago, justins said:

Are EV sales down YoY due to production constraints? 

That's correct. Ford said the following in its 1Q 2023 financials press release.

Quarterly shipments of and revenue from EVs were limited by production interruptions of two highly popular vehicles:  the Mustang Mach-E SUV, to make industrial changes that will nearly double manufacturing capacity, and the F-150 Lightning pickup, to isolate and address a battery issue before it became a problem for customers.

This is a temporary blip. Once the production constraints ease, Model e division should return to its role as the chief source of sales growth at Ford Motor Company overall.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

That's correct. Ford said the following in its 1Q 2023 financials press release.

This is a temporary blip. Once the production constraints ease, Model e division should return to its role as the chief source of sales growth at Ford Motor Company overall.

That’s what I thought until I saw the gross stock table that listed 9500 Mach E in stock.  Was there a stop sale for a recall?  Doesn’t make sense to have that much gross stock while claiming a production shutdown to expand capacity lowered deliveries. Also, the price was cut twice.  I’m presuming in response to Tesla’s price cuts on the model y.  But, if demand was strong, I’d expect inventory to be lower considering the shutdown and no price cuts.

4 hours ago, slemke said:

But, if demand was strong, I’d expect inventory to be lower considering the shutdown and no price cuts.

That’s a logical conclusion but let me say from experience Ford has a habit of overproduction right before a shutdown. This case is a little unique because of the stop sale so that doesn’t really make sense as to why inventory would balloon so I wonder if word just hasn’t gotten around very well that the stop sale is over. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, slemke said:

But, if demand was strong, I’d expect inventory to be lower considering the shutdown and no price cuts.

Simplest explanation usually correct?  You’re probably correct.  There are likely many who want a Mach E but can’t afford due to combination of high initial costs and high interest rates.  Between inflation, end of cheap money, a weaker economy, and BEVs being higher-cost to start with, it doesn’t look as promising to me for BEVs right now.  Total cost of ownership relative to ICE may be higher than previously anticipated.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Simplest explanation usually correct?  You’re probably correct.  There are likely many who want a Mach E but can’t afford due to combination of high initial costs and high interest rates.  Between inflation, end of cheap money, a weaker economy, and BEVs being higher-cost to start with, it doesn’t look as promising to me for BEVs right now.  Total cost of ownership relative to ICE may be higher than previously anticipated.

BEV cost of ownership is immaterial if customers can't afford BEV's in the first place due to pricing, financing costs, etc. 

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

BEV cost of ownership is immaterial if customers can't afford BEV's in the first place due to pricing, financing costs, etc. 

Great point. It’s very hard to get affordable financing right now and nobody wants a $600+ payment 

5 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I wonder if word just hasn’t gotten around very well that the stop sale is over. 

Good point fuzzymoomoo. ice-capades and Deanh have both mentioned on this site that communication between Ford corporate and dealerships isn't the best. So your explanation makes perfect sense.

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Great point. It’s very hard to get affordable financing right now and nobody wants a $600+ payment 

Yeah, and it seems like a $600/month payment is on the low end of the scales reported.

I'm left wondering how customers can afford the payments these days in addition to mortgage, utilities and other expenses. And I keep wondering when the market will push back and say enough is enough, I'm not spending that much, I'll keep my present vehicle. 

My Dad had an 8th grade formal education, left home when he was 15 years old, enlisted in the Navy after Pearl Harbor, worked as a professional hunter in the Yukon for several years but was one of the most intelligent people I knew as I would realize years later. He educated himself and had read the entire works of Shakespeare because he wanted to. He worked on the railroads (New York, New Haven & Hartford) for years as a controller, United Nuclear Corporation which built the reactors for submarines and then Pratt & Whitney doing inspection work. He worked hard and was a real disciplinarian. If you left a room without turning the lights off, you heard about it. The same was true if you came home from a date at night and forgot to turn off the front door light. There were countless times when we were told that it very expensive to pay the mortgage for the house and all the other living expenses for the family. Okay, it was a lot of years ago, but I had to laugh when I found out years later that the mortgage payment to Prudential was $65 per month!  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Okay, it was a lot of years ago, but I had to laugh when I found out years later that the mortgage payment to Prudential was $65 per month! 

I know people that are so out of touch they still think that’s what a mortgage is. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If anyone has been really paying attention to what I’ve been saying the last several weeks/months this shouldn’t be a surprise. 

Yeah....like I said in the other thread, it sounds like door handles are the current issue lol.

Hopefully these things get righted soon.

There are early reports that Ford E-Transit may receive an extended-range battery option that will improve maximum range from 126 to 186 miles (nearly 50% greater).  Report claims we will know more May 11th.  It’s difficult to say how credible this information is, but makes sense.

While larger battery will add significant cost and reduce payload, the extra range may help sales.

https://electrek.co/2023/05/02/exclusive-ford-e-transit-gets-186-mile-option-starting-may-11-vanlifers-rejoice/

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

This.

Ford can bang on about premium pricing but if their target audience can’t get finance, they just sit there unsold.

Is this yet another example of Ford getting way ahead of itself?

Edited by jpd80