Blue Cruise lagging GM

I have been driving Fords for 45 years and am about as loyal as they get. Not gonna get into how Ford screwed me on my Bronco but am  looking for a self driving truck.

I have bad tendonitis in both arms and I can only drive for a couple hours. Self driving would let me go places by myself.

GM's latest version covers 400k miles and you can tow with it. They don't have it available for the HD trucks yet but I am sure it's coming.

Ford covers 130k miles and NO towing. Also NO Super Duty....

Please Ford, catch up with the competition! I don't want to jump ship and go GM if I don't have too.

Ford is taking the conservative approach here, which I agree with.  Think of the challenges to making Blue Cruise work when pulling a fifth wheel or gooseneck that the truck can't see around. Ford is just now getting BLIS to work with those trailers with the '23, requiring sensors mounted on the sides of the trailer.  Expect that requirement for Blue Cruise to work with said trailers in the future as well.  The same will be true for GM I'm sure.

I'm thinking by the time I'm ready for my next truck about 2028-2030, Ford will have Blue Cruise ready for me on my next Super Duty when my cross-country retirement travels begin.

40 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Ford is taking the conservative approach here, which I agree with.  Think of the challenges to making Blue Cruise work when pulling a fifth wheel or gooseneck that the truck can't see around. Ford is just now getting BLIS to work with those trailers with the '23, requiring sensors mounted on the sides of the trailer.  Expect that requirement for Blue Cruise to work with said trailers in the future as well.  The same will be true for GM I'm sure.

I'm thinking by the time I'm ready for my next truck about 2028-2030, Ford will have Blue Cruise ready for me on my next Super Duty when my cross-country retirement travels begin.

From the couple videos i have watched on the GM Supercruise nothing is added to the trailer that I know of? Since Supercruise doesn't do automatic lane changes I don't think the trailer would require any kind of sensors. The Ford trailering BLIS doesn't put sensors on the trailer. They are on the truck which is why it's limited to what the radar mounted on the truck can reach. https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/blis-trailer-coverage/

My 2020 SD only has 22k miles ( only used for towing the RV and SXS's and other equipment to the CO place) so it will last a long time but I would like a new truck in a couple of years that is self driving and will tow- so I hope sooner than later.

1 hour ago, johndeerefarmer said:

From the couple videos i have watched on the GM Supercruise nothing is added to the trailer that I know of? Since Supercruise doesn't do automatic lane changes I don't think the trailer would require any kind of sensors. The Ford trailering BLIS doesn't put sensors on the trailer. They are on the truck which is why it's limited to what the radar mounted on the truck can reach. https://www.ford.com/technology/driver-assist-technology/blis-trailer-coverage/

My 2020 SD only has 22k miles ( only used for towing the RV and SXS's and other equipment to the CO place) so it will last a long time but I would like a new truck in a couple of years that is self driving and will tow- so I hope sooner than later.

The GM Supercruise likely doesn't work with fifth wheel and gooseneck (you said it's not on the HD yet).

Also, BLIS works with fivers and gooses starting on the '23 trucks, but you have to add sensors to the sides of the trailer for it to work.  That link is out of date.

• Like 1

Consumer Reports isn't exactly as source of useful information. I used to work on televisions for a living. They would always rate Sylvania tvs better than Magnavox and Philco and all three were identical other than the name on the front.

Having 400k miles of roads is many times better than only 130k. I don't live on an interstate so basically just covering interstates is worthless to me.

15 hours ago, mackinaw said:

1 hour ago, johndeerefarmer said:

Consumer Reports isn't exactly as source of useful information. I used to work on televisions for a living. They would always rate Sylvania tvs better than Magnavox and Philco and all three were identical other than the name on the front.

Having 400k miles of roads is many times better than only 130k. I don't live on an interstate so basically just covering interstates is worthless to me.

In the Consumer Reports evaluation, Blue Cruise performed better than Super Cruise in 4 of the 5 categories in the evaluation. Capabilities and performance, keeping the driver engaged, ease of use, and clear when safe to use. Super Cruise rated better in the unresponsive driver category.

image.png.f7b1b937721da865c3700eb5d2ce6113.png

If the driver is unresponsive, however, BlueCruise does not bring the car to a complete stop, put on the emergency flashers, or call for help. It merely slows the vehicle to 6 mph and continues driving in the same lane—indefinitely. By contrast, with GM’s Super Cruise and Mercedes’ Driver Assistance, if the driver doesn’t respond to prompts from the system to re-engage, the car will turn on the emergency flashers, bring the car to a full stop (in whatever lane it’s currently traveling), and call for help. We think that’s the smarter response.

Edited by rperez817