Official 2024 Ford Ranger & Ford Ranger Raptor North America

33 minutes ago, akirby said:

Does it really matter if it puts out 310 hp and 430 lb/ft?

Bronco 2.7 V6 - 330/415

3.0L Bronco Raptor -  392/430

The point I was making is the 2.3L is still competitive with the 2.7 I4 from GM and the nano V6 engines blow it away. 

On July 28/22, media.chevrolet announced the midsize getting the 2.7 with 430 lbft, and already are stating best in class torque on reg fuel. Ford has the 3.0 in Bronco with 440 lbft, 406hp on reg fuel, which if they offered would be best in class hp and torque, something they like to brag on in the the F150, and super duty classes. Ford has known for 10 months the number to beat and have the engine, so it would seem a no brainer to offer it!

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The point I was making is the 2.3L is still competitive with the 2.7 I4 from GM and the nano V6 engines blow it away. 

I was looking at the torque numbers.  GM’s 2.7 has considerably more torque than Ford’s 2.3. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Ranger 2.3L - 300/310

Colorado base 310/390

Colorado HO 310/430

Its competitive but GM has far more torque even though it’s an I4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maginty said:

Ford has the 3.0 in Bronco with 440 lbft, 406hp on reg fuel, which if they offered

You do realize the Ranger Raptor with the 3.0L ecoboost is already on sale in other countries?

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

You do realize the Ranger Raptor with the 3.0L ecoboost is already on sale in other countries?

Yes, and they have a couple different output ratings, and here in NA the 3.0 in the Bronco has more hp and torque and that tune should be offered in the NA Ranger.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Ranger 2.3L - 300/310

Colorado base 310/390

Colorado HO 310/430

Its competitive but GM has far more torque even though it’s an I4.

The Bronco tuned 2.3 is 300/325...I'd expect the Ranger it be around that that if not more. The "new" Mustang Ecoboost is 315/350

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

A 2.3L Powerboost could work as well, 28-32MPG and 375hp/ 450ft/lbs. The Powerboost f-150 puts down more torque than the Raptor so no worry there.

I would like to see hybrid also, but if implemented, a powertrain option that maximizes fuel economy might have greater appeal than one that primarily offers great power and torque IMO.  Since Ranger is not ideal for heavy towing, where larger trucks like F-150 can do better, emphasizing fuel economy like Ford did with hybrid Maverick makes more sense to me.  To achieve 28~32 MPG or close to that would likely require an Atkinson cycle engine which would limit towing somewhat.  My thought is that most Rangers don’t tow that often, and when they do, it’s likely small and light trailers like jet skis, motorcycles, or compact camping trailers.  I just don’t see the need for 300+ HP and 400+ lb-ft in a hybrid Ranger.  MPG over 30 would be great though.

22 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I, for one, expect something to be confirmed I’ve suspected for a while. I’ll say what it is after the reveal just in case. 

I'm interested to see what it is!

17 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Dave of All Terrain Nation over at Ranger6G.com is saying 6am EST

HRG

That seems oddly early.

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm gonna guess that the 2.3L will be the only engine option in the Ranger, outside of the Raptor...

I don't see why they wouldn't mimic Bronco's powertrain offerings since they already have them running down the same line.

It also depends if they wind up offering more trims than the current XL, XLT, and Lariat, but I'd guess they'll add a Platinum trim.

My powertrain guesses:

standard 2.3 - XL, XLT, Lariat

optional 2.7 - Lariat

standard 2.7 - Platinum

standard 3.0 - Raptor

I'd love to see a hybrid option (that also jumps to Bronco), but that seems to have been on again-off again for some time, so who knows.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

That seems oddly early.

I don't see why they wouldn't mimic Bronco's powertrain offerings since they already have them running down the same line.

It also depends if they wind up offering more trims than the current XL, XLT, and Lariat, but I'd guess they'll add a Platinum trim.

My powertrain guesses:

optional 2.7 - Lariat

standard 2.7 - Platinum

standard 3.0 - Raptor

I'd love to see a hybrid option (that also jumps to Bronco), but that seems to have been on again-off again for some time, so who knows.

Agree that’s what it should be, but it’s possible they want to simplify the launch and sell more Raptors early on so I could see the 2.7 being delayed.  But no reason not to offer it at all.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Agree that’s what it should be, but it’s possible they want to simplify the launch and sell more Raptors early on so I could see the 2.7 being delayed.  But no reason not to offer it at all.

I won't be shocked if they don't since they have never used the same engine in both the F-150 and Ranger in the past.

Edited by blksn8k2

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

That seems oddly early.

My powertrain guesses:

optional 2.7 - Lariat

standard 2.7 - Platinum

standard 3.0 - Raptor

They launched the Maverick at 6 am as well. 

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

I won't be shocked if they don't since they have never used the same engine in both the F-150 and Ranger in the past.

I do t think that’s even a consideration unless the 2.7 is somehow supply constrained.

30 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

6AM for a Launch?  Why ?  Is it like, they do it at the factory, and do it before the workers start to work ?

Has to be online only to start with some event later.  Maybe they pretaped the launch.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, akirby said:

Ranger 2.3L - 300/310

Colorado base 310/390

Colorado HO 310/430

It’s competitive but GM has far more torque even though it’s an I4.

Chevy site shows base Colorado 2.7L turbo I-4 lower.  Even that seems more than adequate for a medium-size truck when owner doesn’t plan to tow much.  In this base engine application, turbocharging doesn’t seem to add much power over what a naturally-aspirated 2.7L could make.  Not sure why GM derates power and torque so much compared to performance version.

237 HP at 5,600 RPM

260 lb-ft at 1,200-4,000 RPM

1 hour ago, ANTAUS said:

6AM for a Launch?  Why ?  Is it like, they do it at the factory, and do it before the workers start to work ?

I’ve heard there’s some kind of event scheduled for tomorrow in final assembly. Nothing as usual for the body shop side. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Not sure why GM derates power and torque so much compared to performance version.

So they can charge more for the other versions.  

They don’t have a Maverick to slot below Colorado.

Edited by akirby