Official '24 Ford Ranger NA Release

On 5/11/2023 at 9:30 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

there’s stories upon stories of unsold F-150s piling up and the third shift at DTP got cut to move to the Lightning plant. 

"Unsold F-150s piling up" is exactly what's happening nowadays, at least with the ICE powered versions. Cox Automotive reported that F-150 (non-Lightning) was up to 99 days' supply last month, the highest among all full-size LD pickup truck models. Industry average for all vehicles was 53 days.

Good to hear that DTP 3rd shift moved over to the Lightning plant. The contrast between the low supply, high demand situation with Lightning and the low demand, high supply situation with ICE powered F-150 is stark. As pickup truck buyers gravitate toward BEV, 2024 Ranger in the U.S. market may run into the low demand scenario too. Hopefully Ford is ready to introduce BEV Ranger within the next 2 or 3 years.

22 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

"Unsold F-150s piling up" is exactly what's happening nowadays, at least with the ICE powered versions. Cox Automotive reported that F-150 (non-Lightning) was up to 99 days' supply last month, the highest among all full-size LD pickup truck models. Industry average for all vehicles was 53 days.

Good to hear that DTP 3rd shift moved over to the Lightning plant. The contrast between the low supply, high demand situation with Lightning and the low demand, high supply situation with ICE powered F-150 is stark. As pickup truck buyers gravitate toward BEV, 2024 Ranger in the U.S. market may run into the low demand scenario too. Hopefully Ford is ready to introduce BEV Ranger within the next 2 or 3 years.

Is it difficult or easy to continually come up with these ridiculous takes to bend over backward in favor of BEV?

1) You're Comparing a vehicle that has 2 (or is it 3?) plants vs. 1/2 plant for Lightning.  Naturally there's going to be higher inventory of the former than the latter.

2) You're comparing truck days supply to all vehicles, which is not a fair comparison, as days supply for trucks has always been higher than regular models because of the available configurations.  How does 99 days supply compared to historical days supply for F-150?

3) As others have mentioned, credit/financing issues are going to start popping up, which will affect all powertrains, but is likely to hit ICE first with its broader customer base vs. Lightning.

This "every little data blip is absolutely because ICE=bad/immediately dead and BEV=amazing" schtick is annoying.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Number 1 with a bullet is hybrid so a new Ranger is a complete non-starter for me. 

I’ll post a complete list later

First and foremost is a hybrid. We are going to be moving out into the boonies and starting a homestead in the next few years so a hybrid for the commute to work and the generator features (Michigan’s power grid is the worst in the country) will be a must. No hybrid, no sale. 

After that:

-crew cab

-off-road non-Raptor or tremor package (FX4)

-heated seats/steering wheel

-spray-in bed liner 

-max towing/payload package

-moonroof

theres probably more I’m forgetting but those are the main ones. I really don’t necessarily want or need leather seats just because this will be mostly a work/farm truck outside of being my daily driver but the easy cleaning will certainly be welcomed, especially since my clothes can get pretty dirty at work anyway. 

Once upon a time a moonroof was an absolute must for me, and I would still rather have it than not, but since this will be a work truck having the payload capacity reduced because of the moonroof might not be a good decision long term. 

It doesn’t really matter to me if it comes with running boards from the factory or not even though they are a must have because my wife is fairly short and obviously the kids need them. I can always go aftermarket, it’s probably cheaper to do it that way anyway. 

This next purchase of mine will be the last brand new vehicle I purchase so I will be picky, even if it means taking a financial bath and keeping the Fusion longer than the market stays hot. Because of the way Ford packaged options I’m likely looking at getting a lariat which is going to be way more than I can probably afford at this point. It’s going to irritate me paying that much for all of the BlueCruise/Co-pilot features I do not want just to get what I want but I guess that’s what buying a new car in 2023 is now. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

First and foremost is a hybrid. We are going to be moving out into the boonies and starting a homestead in the next few years so a hybrid for the commute to work and the generator features (Michigan’s power grid is the worst in the country) will be a must. No hybrid, no sale. 

After that:

-crew cab

-spray-in bed liner 

-moonroof

theres probably more I’m forgetting but those are the main ones. I really don’t necessarily want or need leather seats just because this will be mostly a work/farm truck outside of being my daily driver but the easy cleaning will certainly be welcomed, especially since my clothes can get pretty dirty at work anyway. 

Once upon a time a moonroof was an absolute must for me, and I would still rather have it than not, but since this will be a work truck having the payload capacity reduced because of the moonroof might not be a good decision long term. 

It doesn’t really matter to me if it comes with running boards from the factory or not even though they are a must have because my wife is fairly short and obviously the kids need them. I can always go aftermarket, it’s probably cheaper to do it that way anyway. 

This next purchase of mine will be the last brand new vehicle I purchase so I will be picky, even if it means taking a financial bath and keeping the Fusion longer than the market stays hot. Because of the way Ford packaged options I’m likely looking at getting a lariat which is going to be way more than I can probably afford at this point. It’s going to irritate me paying that much for all of the BlueCruise/Co-pilot features I do not want just to get what I want but I guess that’s what buying a new car in 2023 is now. 

You will find that leather seats are actually great for work.  I think they are easier to keep clean.

After I bought an F150 with a sunroof off the lot in 2009, I haven’t had one without since.  It has become a must have option for me.  Prior to that, I never would have selected it as an option if I was ordering.  

13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

After that:

-crew cab

-spray-in bed liner 

-moonroof
This next purchase of mine will be the last brand new vehicle I purchase so I will be picky, even if it means taking a financial bath and keeping the Fusion longer than the market stays hot.

(edit: Don't know what happened but my reply ended up in the quote. I've italicized my reply).That was my motive when I ordered my 2021 Ranger SuperCab: retired now and in my seventies, this will likely be my last new vehicle. i've been very happy with it so far. I wanted the 6'box to haul my motorcycle across timezones to ride in the Rockies and Southwest, and for a possible slide-in camper one day. XL STX Special Edition Package. FX4. Tough Bed spray in bedliner. Basically it's an XLT without the sunglasses holder in the ceiling, but I wanted the '21MY-only 18" machined rim wheels. Had to order carpeting to get the tray-style floor liners. Added aftermarket heated seats and was discouraged from adding a sunroof. It appears to me that the 6G Rangers will be offered only in SuperCrew/5'box like the gm twins; maybe an SC/6' further down the line? There were prototypes last summer.

Edited by Chrisgb

9 hours ago, tbone said:

You will find that leather seats are actually great for work.  I think they are easier to keep clean.

After I bought an F150 with a sunroof off the lot in 2009, I haven’t had one without since.  It has become a must have option for me.  Prior to that, I never would have selected it as an option if I was ordering.  

In all honesty Leather seats is a take it or leave it option for me. I would kind of rather save the money, this is going to be expensive enough as it is. I really wish I could delete the co-pilot/blue cruise stuff and save a few thousand that way. 

Yes, I’m aware my perfect truck is optioned like a 2014 and doesn’t exist new in 2023 ?

11 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

I’m surprised Ford will build 2 completely different 2.3 ecoboost I-4 engines.It will be interesting to see which one goes into the refreshed 24 Explorer. 

Would you not expect newer version of 2.3L in Mustang to replace the older engine over time, at least in RWD applications?  The new engine should be more fuel efficient, and I’d guess better suited to run at lower RPMs, so if used in a sports car like Mustang, heavier vehicles like SUVs and pickups favoring greater low-end torque should be even better.  Just a wild guess on my part.  

21 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Would you not expect newer version of 2.3L in Mustang to replace the older engine over time, at least in RWD applications?  The new engine should be more fuel efficient, and I’d guess better suited to run at lower RPMs, so if used in a sports car like Mustang, heavier vehicles like SUVs and pickups favoring greater low-end torque should be even better.  Just a wild guess on my part.  

Yes that’s what I was thinking - since Ranger is new, figured it would get the new 2.3. I don’t think there will be any FWD vehicles getting anything larger than the 2.0 eco, outside of the 2.5 hybrids. Maybe Ford switches both Ranger and Bronco over to the new motor at the same time in another year or two. 

20 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

I was hoping for a hybrid also. One of the articles I read over the last couple of days said it's definitely coming, but who knows.

I’m curious what a hybrid may entail.  The F-150 PowerBoost only has 35 kW electric motor so fuel economy improvement is somewhat limited.  There is essentially no highway EPA gain over 3.5L EcoBoost, though city improves much more.  Combined rating I think improves 10~15% which is good, but not in same range of many other hybrids which use Atkinson naturally-aspirated engines, and combine with proportionally much larger electric motors.  For example, the Maverick hybrid’s Power-Split eCVT motor is rated at 94 kW.  That’s a lot more electric power supplementing a much lower 162 HP combustion engine in Maverick compared to 400 HP in F-150 PowerBoost.

I expect that since Ranger is getting the 2.7L EB, the easiest and maybe most likely scenario would be to add PowerBoost 10-speed hybrid transmission, but if that’s all Ford does, fuel economy improvements won’t be that great; maybe comparable to PowerBoost gains.  But who knows what Ford may be working on for future RWD hybrids.  As with Maverick, I expect greater electric-motor size relative to ICE is needed, and also more efficient gas engine.

3 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

I’m curious what a hybrid may entail.  

I expect that since Ranger is getting the 2.7L EB, the easiest and maybe most likely scenario would be to add PowerBoost 10-speed hybrid transmission

If Ford does offer Ranger Hybrid, the P2 hybrid system you mentioned (10R80 MHT) makes the most sense because its architecture should fit with minimal (if any) modifications with respect to ICE only Ranger.

But that's a big if. Hopefully, for Ranger Ford will skip PowerBoost/hybrid altogether and go straight to an all-electric Lightning version as soon as possible.

16 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Yes that’s what I was thinking - since Ranger is new, figured it would get the new 2.3. I don’t think there will be any FWD vehicles getting anything larger than the 2.0 eco, outside of the 2.5 hybrids. Maybe Ford switches both Ranger and Bronco over to the new motor at the same time in another year or two. 

I still think new 2.3L engine with much longer stroke-to-bore ratio will be ideal for Atkinson-cycle applications, and may replace the much older 2.5L in FWD hybrids.  In my opinion EcoBoost versus hybrids will depend greatly on how buyers view fuel economy versus raw power.  Maverick is a good study case for comparison, though I don’t know how many buyers are taking hybrid’s economy over EB greater power and towing.  Also, the fact that hybrid Maverick is not offered in AWD probably limits appeal for some buyers.

7 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

If Ford does offer Ranger Hybrid, the P2 hybrid system you mentioned (10R80 MHT) makes the most sense because its architecture should fit with minimal (if any) modifications with respect to ICE only Ranger.

But that's a big if. Hopefully, for Ranger Ford will skip PowerBoost/hybrid altogether and go straight to an all-electric Lightning version as soon as possible.

Maybe, but thus far Lightning represents about 2% of total F-150 sales, so there isn’t much data confirming that a BEV Ranger would be more successful (in sales) than a properly-designed hybrid configured for fuel economy.  For me to even consider a pickup again, it would need to achieve at least 30 MPG combined, and I’m pretty sure a Ranger 2.7L PowerBoost using existing 10-speed would not get there.  An electric Ranger with enough range would be cost ineffective so doubtful it would work for my needs.

As I’ve expressed before, my opinion is that BEVs lend themselves best for city-car-type applications, and present pickups are not a great fit due to towing requirements and very poor aerodynamics which kill highway driving range.  I don’t see a BEV Ranger being that much cheaper or doing better than a Lightning, though I suppose Ranger owners don’t tow as often or as much as F-150 owners, which might help its case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

I still think new 2.3L engine with much longer stroke-to-bore ratio will be ideal for Atkinson-cycle applications, and may replace the much older 2.5L in FWD hybrids.  In my opinion EcoBoost versus hybrids will depend greatly on how buyers view fuel economy versus raw power.  Maverick is a good study case for comparison, though I don’t know how many buyers are taking hybrid’s economy over EB greater power and towing.  Also, the fact that hybrid Maverick is not offered in AWD probably limits appeal for some buyers.

While there's a chance the 2.3 could eventually replace the 2.5, but that would be a massive mistake imo. The 2.5 is extremely fuel efficient, and is basically the most reliable engine in Ford's lineup, aside from maybe the 6.7. If ford's key focuses right now are to save money, improve fleet wide reliability, and continue to improve fleet fuel economy, it makes sense to keep the 2.5. I'll also mention the 2.5 hybrid setup is fast as hell in the maverick. Compared to other trucks and entry level vehicles, things a rocketship. 

6 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

While there's a chance the 2.3 could eventually replace the 2.5

That's actually what happened for Ranger outside U.S. and Canada. Original T6 Ranger (P375) offered 2.5L 4-cylinder Mazda MZR gasoline engine in certain markets. New T6.2 Ranger (P703) no longer offers the 2.5L engine. Engine choices for new Ranger are 2.3L, 2.7L, and 3.0L Ecoboost gasoline engines, and 2.0L and 3.0L Ecoblue and Power Stroke diesel engines.

On 5/12/2023 at 11:26 AM, T-dubz said:

Several of the videos I watched mentioned halogens. I’m guessing they are wrong though. On the ROW ranger, it’s extremely obvious which ones are halogen.

The latest MT states LED headlights on the XL STX so I would assume LED is across the line now. I don't know why it wouldn't be since by now LED is probably just as cheap as halogen lights in simple reflector form. I think you still have to twist a key and use a mechanical shifter on the lower trims, but at least they put LED lights on it. I did see the taillights at least on the XL are still incandescent though. My 2022 XLT has a mixture of incandescent and LED lights. I guess it saves money? At some point I can't see that really being a cost savings. It's probably just done to upsell and everyone does that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

In all honesty Leather seats is a take it or leave it option for me. I would kind of rather save the money, this is going to be expensive enough as it is. I really wish I could delete the co-pilot/blue cruise stuff and save a few thousand that way. 

Yes, I’m aware my perfect truck is optioned like a 2014 and doesn’t exist new in 2023 ?

That’s ok, you want what you want.  

10 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

The latest MT states LED headlights on the XL STX so I would assume LED is across the line now. I don't know why it wouldn't be since by now LED is probably just as cheap as halogen lights in simple reflector form. I think you still have to twist a key and use a mechanical shifter on the lower trims, but at least they put LED lights on it. I did see the taillights at least on the XL are still incandescent though. My 2022 XLT has a mixture of incandescent and LED lights. I guess it saves money? At some point I can't see that really being a cost savings. It's probably just done to upsell and everyone does that.

I’m disappointed the LED glare-free Matrix headlights didn’t make it over. After coding the Canadian glare free option on my f-150 they are a game changer and I will never own a vehicle I can’t enable or buy a vehicle with the feature.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Just watched in depth detail review from TFL on Raptor version. For 56k, it seems like a bargain. I know, I know… nobody will pay that price in the end.

Well people that have a good honest dealer will, but those are few and far between. Nice to see the greedy ones starting to have tons of F-150s piling up on their lots now still trying to sell them over sticker.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 2:35 AM, rmc523 said:

Lower models definitely have a reflector setup.......and I could be wrong, but I feel like it's an LED reflector setup like Bronco......to me it looks liek the LEDs would be mounted on the outside wall and reflected toward the inside of the unit.  Hard to tell from the photos, though, these are the best I can find.  We'll have to wait for the order guide in the next 2 weeks.

0k2a6665-645a7bc7df7a5.jpg?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=980:*

In Southeast Asia, trim levels starting from the XLS (which is positioned just below the XLT) use this, Ford labels it as "LED Reflector headlights" 
In Asia, the XL is a workhorse trim with halogen headlights and steelies (The Thai XL+ trim adds alloy wheels).